• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Just inky caps and the orange phalus with brown goo.

Cinnabar Chanterelles all over the place at work right now. Easily 1000+ in the area. They are small, so I took a close-up with a quarter as a size reference.

Attachments

• 20180827_152336.jpg
      20180827_152336.jpg
      197.6 KB · Views: 450

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    Took a short drive today that took me past my Hen of the Woods patch, and found a few. Looks like I'm a bit late this year though, I found a bunch more, but way past prime. Ended up taking 3 home with me. Got to check on my puffball patch and see if they're out now too.

Attachments

• IMG_3471 (2).jpg
      IMG_3471 (2).jpg
      200.1 KB · Views: 372
    • IMG_3472.jpg
      IMG_3472.jpg
      159.5 KB · Views: 374
    • IMG_3473 (2).jpg
      IMG_3473 (2).jpg
      197.3 KB · Views: 362
    • IMG_3474.jpg
      IMG_3474.jpg
      153 KB · Views: 386

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    It could be a Honey Mushroom as well.
    Here is my thought process when it comes to eating wild mushrooms...
    There are four local species which cannot be mistaken for anything else with basic mushroom hunting skills:
    Morels (appearance)
    Chicken Of The Forest/Sulfur Shelf/Chicken Mushroom (appearance, thick body and pores)
    Maitake/Hen Of The Woods (autumn only, doesn't stain black)
    Chanterelle (always in dirt, never on rotting wood) False Chanterelles look very similar, but their habitat is the opposite and will make you sick, but not hospital bound.

I won't chance it with anything else.
    Do not take my info as being factual; do your own research. If you don't, you could get really sick.

I would add puffballs to that list as well, out of all of them I think there is only one that's toxic. If it's black inside, chuck it. And if they're brown inside they've spored and aren't worth eating.

All the rest of the puffballs are edible. Only problem with them is you can't dry them or freeze them. you've got to use them within a few days of harvest. I guess you could powder them and use them for some kind of stock or something. They're pretty good eating though.

Boletes are pretty easy to recognize. Most I've found are infested with bugs though. For some reason Fly and beetle larva love them. So you've got to pick the bugs out.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I hit the mother load today. 2 trees with close 20lbs total.
    7054e0eb1444822db7fd96a70b841b83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I found a nice 3lb chicken of the woods today.
    Any good recipes for them? I have cooked hen of the woods before but not chicken.

Attachments

• CFEF8FFB-3D24-4248-9F20-9B18E007D0FB.jpg
      CFEF8FFB-3D24-4248-9F20-9B18E007D0FB.jpg
      117.9 KB · Views: 227

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I found a nice 3lb chicken of the woods today.
    Any good recipes for them? I have cooked hen of the woods before but not chicken.

You can bread and fry like chicken strips. It stays firm and really does taste like chicken.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Also some people will have mild stomach issues with COTW so it’s usually advised that you have a small serving the first time you try it.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Thanks! I saw that recipe online. I will give it a try.

BTW, I like the garden gun you sold me. I shot it a couple times in the backyard. It brought back childhood memories

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I hit the mother load today. 2 trees with close 20lbs total.
    7054e0eb1444822db7fd96a70b841b83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My parents used to take us to pick mushrooms all the time, but they only things we gathered were morels and puffballs.

I was always taught that anything that grew on wood was unsafe or inedible... but judging by the photos that isn't the case?

Maybe its a regional thing... I grew up in the midwest. Perhaps the ones that grow on wood that are edible aren't found there. :shrug:

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    My parents used to take us to pick mushrooms all the time, but they only things we gathered were morels and puffballs.

I was always taught that anything that grew on wood was unsafe or inedible... but judging by the photos that isn't the case?

Maybe its a regional thing... I grew up in the midwest. Perhaps the ones that grow on wood that are edible aren't found there. :shrug:

Is that a false chanterelle?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    COTW?

I found this big fungus growing on an old moss-covered tree stump in my yard a couple of days ago. It caught my attention because a guy at our local animal shelter had one that looked like it and twice its size he was going to take home and eat.

After some research it looks like a Laetiporus variety of some kind to me. I'm not brave enough to eat it, but I do have my daughter and some grand kids convinced they'll be served breaded COTW strips next time they visit... Geez, "It tastes just like chicken!" :lol2:

So, you fungi experts, what is it other than a Hooligan Shoot target?

:shrug:

Attachments

• COTW IMG_0204.jpg
      COTW IMG_0204.jpg
      175.7 KB · Views: 231

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver