Will adding a sling adapter turn an AR pistol into an SBR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    A non-gun-forum friend of mine showed me a picture of his latest project - a Diamonback AR pistol (.223 caliber with a 10.5 inch barrel). The pistol has a Gear Head Works Tailhook Mod 2 brace on it.

He is interested in putting a Midwest Industries sling adapter (where the brace's buffer tube meets the receiver) on the pistol. He is not sure if this would violate federal or state (he's a Virginia resident) rules and, by doing so, would re-classify this pistol as a short barreled rifle. He wants to know whether he may put the sling adapter on and still maintain the weapon's status as a pistol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    From what I gathered from the FTISB ATF, if you fire the weapon(pistol) as the "Tailhook" is recommended in the 'open' tailhook configuration, the gun(pistol) remains a pistol. But, anyone firing the gun(pistol) with the Tailhook in the 'closed' folded position and fired from the shoulder will be in violation of NFA regulations governing SBR(s).

IANAL

http://www.socalstar.com/tailhook_MOD2.pdf

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Thanks for the feedback. He knows about the proper and improper ways to fire an AR pistol with a brace. We discussed that issue and understand it.

His question is solely about whether adding the Midwest Industries sling adapter (where the brace's buffer tube) creates a problem by turning his pistol into an SBR.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback. He knows about the proper and improper ways to fire an AR pistol with a brace. We discussed that issue and understand it.

His question is solely about whether adding the Midwest Industries sling adapter (where the brace's buffer tube) creates a problem by turning his pistol into an SBR.

Oh, my bad.:o

I don't see why. Slings are GTG on AR pistols. Which type is he looking at? End plate?

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Fwiw I have an end plate sling mount on my pistol running a vickers sling and it works great I don't run a brace and I shoot pretty accurately out to 100 yds it's a matter of getting sling length right and pushing out against sling tension

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    No reason to think that the sling adapter in that location does anything to change the classification of the pistol. As a matter of fact all of my AR pistols have some type of sling adapter. However, I don't know about Virginia law.

Just don't add a vertical hand grip to the rail of a pistol. Then it becomes an AOW. This last part is just for those who may not know this.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    +1 on what j h smith said...I'm perplexed on the sling adapter thing, never heard of that. But don't a vertical grip.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    No reason to think that the sling adapter in that location does anything to change the classification of the pistol. As a matter of fact all of my AR pistols have some type of sling adapter. However, I don't know about Virginia law.

Just don't add a vertical hand grip to the rail of a pistol. Then it becomes an AOW. This last part is just for those who may not know this.

+1 on what j h smith said...I'm perplexed on the sling adapter thing, never heard of that. But don't a vertical grip.

I share both of your puzzlement over how a sling adapter may make a difference. I just threw this issue out there to hear others (like yourselves) more knowledgeable chime in. Proving a negative is a bitch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom