• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    There has been significant tension between the MSP and the Handgun Permit Review Board for months. I would not rule out payback time by an agency that has acted as the Democrat's private army for decades.

All you have to know is that the MSP testifies every year about it's own gun control wishes before the legislature to know this is true.

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    We don't seize guns for bounced checks. Sounds like you're not getting all of the facts. I'm not saying anything bad about your friend but bounced checks....no.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    We don't seize guns for bounced checks. Sounds like you're not getting all of the facts. I'm not saying anything bad about your friend but bounced checks....no.

Back in the 60's, a lot of bounced checks were charged as felonies. Even small ones. I dealt with this issue on criminal histories before, though not really relating to guns. I don't remember what the statute was or whatnot, but I have seen it.

Any CH that old would almost certainly require a hand search and that would explain the time lag in between approving and then retracting the HQL. In one assignment I was in I dealt with a lot of CH issues and stuff that old is almost always incomplete, illegible, or lost altogether. Most of what I saw never even made it to microfiche. About the only way to get a handle on 90 percent of it is to have someone in a courthouse basement or at Iron Mountain start pulling ancient files.

Like I said, I don't blame MSP. If someone applies and something pops up they have to follow it to the conclusion. I doubt they liked doing this very much either. I blame the stupid laws both state and federal that fail to take situations like this into account.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Only doing their job as assigned by the legislature. Not their fault.
    The state police ignored hundreds of people breaking the universal background check in Washington state. They chose to ignore an unconstitutional law.

MSP is the lapdog of the MGA. Maryland should just do away with the governor position - the MGA rules it all and has the army to do so.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis

Yes but it seems guns are seized for failing hql and the reason for failing hql is misdemeanor for bad checks. All a result of more in depth background checks via MD. Again this person was not disapproved in the past prior to hql scrutiny. And furthermore was granted an hql only to get a call sometime later revoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The state police ignored hundreds of people breaking the universal background check in Washington state. They chose to ignore an unconstitutional law.

MSP is the lapdog of the MGA. Maryland should just do away with the governor position - the MGA rules it all and has the army to do so.

this

Silent Partner

Nov 18, 2015
    The Hereford Zone
    This is absolutely obscene and should not be allowed to stand.

While it's not MSP's fault they do not need to prosecute as aggressively as they have, it's like they take it personally.

I hope someone at MSI or the NRA-ILA is taking notes and preparing to meet with legislators to draft bills to reverse these.

I am still seriously pissed that I can not purchase the Beretta 92 FS Centennial offered by Baltimore's Best Pawn due to the fingerprinting aspect of the HQL I've considered joining the lawsuit.:mad54:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    It's totally true why would I make it up. Presenting a false instrument is a misdemeanor is how it was explained to me. Have fun with it though guys and appreciate the support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look, a crime, any crime, is either a misdemeanor or a felony. Speeding is a misdemeanor. Civil infractions are a different beast.

Now, it appears I am going to have to get up to speed with the new expungement rules. Such is life. No rest for the ever changing law.

I really would be curious to know if three bounced checks from the 60's really made this guy prohibited. Granted, shoplifting of a large enough amount in this state is enough to make somebody prohibited.

As I have been saying, way too many laws in place. As far as I am concerned, unless a person commits a violent crime, I have no issue with them having the right to possess a firearm. Hell, even then, my position is that if somebody is free in society, all, and I mean all, of their rights should be restored. If we trust them to walk among us, we have to trust them to possess a firearm because they are going to get one if they want one, even if they are prohibited.

Rant over.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Yes but it seems guns are seized for failing hql and the reason for failing hql is misdemeanor for bad checks.

If what you've presented is how it went down, his guns weren't seized for failing his HQL. He failed his HQL because he was a prohibited person (made so retroactively for the bad checks he wrote 50 years ago as discussed above) and then the MSP realized that he was a prohibited person who already owned guns, so they seized them.

This is a perfect example of why the retroactive thing is total ********.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Had a longtime friend and former Maryland State champion sporting clays shooter have MSP show up this week to seize all his guns. All this happened since he applied and was granted hql ahead of the election only to have it revoked a week later. All this for 3 bounced checks of $5, $10 &$15 in 1966. This man is in his seventies. So pathetic I'm sick.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this real example with us. I am not a lawyer as I believe most aren't and stories such as this one helps to realize how precarious our 2A rights are in MD. I lost my job in December and am pretty close to retirement age. An awareness such as this is making me look really hard at moving out of this state. Pretty scary stuff considering this is America land of the free. Unless you are subject to FSA13.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    If so, that's truly pathetic. I want to think there's a lot more to this than $30-worth of bounced checks from 51 years ago but, if not, if that's the only excuse needed to impound/confiscate someone's entire collection of firearms then WTF. If something like that is legal in MD then add that to the list of things I won't regret leaving behind when I move to SC later this year. :mad54:
    You'll be missed when you move my friend. Maybe you can add me to your SC deed, LMAO

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Because Maryland illegally and unconstitutionally made retroactive offenses with potential penalties greater than 1 year prohibiting offenses for handgun ownership. The Federal standard is 2 years IIRC.

So what this means is:
    Person A commits minor crime (lets say stealing a duck) when they're 18 before 2013 (IIRC thats when the law was enacted). They get slapped with a charge that carries a maximum sentence of 1 year. They plead guilty and move on with their life.
    3 years later they attempt to get an HQL and get denied and house raided by MSP.
    Person B is Person A's accomplice for stealing a duck and also pleads guilty. He buys a shotgun the next week so no one can steal his ducks and him and his ducks live happily ever after because he and the ducks give no fvcks.
    One correction: Prohibiting offenses for all gun ownership, not just handgun.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    If what you've presented is how it went down, his guns weren't seized for failing his HQL. He failed his HQL because he was a prohibited person (made so retroactively for the bad checks he wrote 50 years ago as discussed above) and then the MSP realized that he was a prohibited person who already owned guns, so they seized them.

This is a perfect example of why the retroactive thing is total ********.[/QUOTE

So we're advocating the MSP deliberately ignore laws that were passed by elected officials? What happens when they allow a person to remain in possession of a firearm when they know that person is prohibited and that person kills someone with that firearm? The state police is not a sheriffs office and does not get the choice to chose what laws they want to enforce.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

This is a perfect example of why the retroactive thing is total ********.[/QUOTE

So we're advocating the MSP deliberately ignore laws that were passed by elected officials? What happens when they allow a person to remain in possession of a firearm when they know that person is prohibited and that person kills someone with that firearm? The state police is not a sheriffs office and does not get the choice to chose what laws they want to enforce.
    I didn't take Hawkeye's post that way at all. His complaint was about the law not about MSP enforcement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom