Anyone Looking for Shop Help? (Baltimore Co)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MD_3%er

Jul 3, 2011
    Nottingham, MD
    Hello,

Any IP's looking for help around the shop? I have firearms sales experience, general sales experience, and business/accounting experience. Just looking for gain some more experience and knowledge and make some extra money. Available on nights and weekends (maybe 20-40 hours per month - possibly more). The closer to White Marsh the better.

Cheers!:party29:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Looking for somewhere with a seasoned owner and a knowledgable staff. I am not sure I'll what exactly what I'm looking for there.

They're fairly new (less than 10 years old IIRC) so maybe not "seasoned" but they are very knowledgeable, proffesional and run in my opinion the best indoor range in MD I've had the pleasure of visiting/giving business. If I wasn't in the industry and closer I'd probably buy guns from there too.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    They're fairly new (less than 10 years old IIRC) so maybe not "seasoned" but they are very knowledgeable, proffesional and run in my opinion the best indoor range in MD I've had the pleasure of visiting/giving business. If I wasn't in the industry and closer I'd probably buy guns from there too.

I go there all the time, I love the staff. It needs a bit of love though lol, it looks pretty abused. I like the layout though.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I go there all the time, I love the staff. It needs a bit of love though lol, it looks pretty abused. I like the layout though.

Abused? The showroom Looks pretty modern and fresh to me. Unless you're talking about the ceiling on the range. :lol2:

The place is good overall. I'll hold my tongue on my thoughts about one of the owners. Also the counter staff are like a revolving door...

MD_3%er

Jul 3, 2011
    Nottingham, MD
    Abused? The showroom Looks pretty modern and fresh to me. Unless you're talking about the ceiling on the range. :lol2:

The place is good overall. I'll hold my tongue on my thoughts about one of the owners. Also the counter staff are like a revolving door...

I am trying to be professional. I don't like to talk bad about people or their business. But I am pretty sure we have the same opinion on the same person. The staff there are friendly for sure, but I know from personal experience it is not a easy place to work. The counter staff revolving was my point about being seasoned. I want to learn as much as I can, I just personally don't think it would happen there. Wish them all the success in the world, but just not for me (did it once already).

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Try THE GUN SHOP on Eastern Blvd in Essex, next to Dunkin' Donuts.

Took the words right out of my...fingers? lol

TGS was my favorite MD shop. Couple of the employees are MDS members, though infrequent posters. It has that grungy, out-of-the-way gun shop feel, but I've always been treated right :thumbsup:

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I am stopping by there today. Cool little shop. After 2012 its gotten different, but I feel like several shops have just gotten tired of people coming in time after time with the same questions and BS.

I have heard the argument about customers coming in asking "the same questions" , how is that any different than any other business? Granted I have never worked at a LGS but I would think that having a stream of customers is a good thing. Firearms are not cheap, so most of the people buying them are good no to "kick the tires" before buying one. Also MOST gun shops are where people tend to hang out with other like minded people. Like I said, I have zero experience in the gun sales arena but I would think that if you have a steady stream of customers coming in, even the if they don't buy something they immediately, they will be back later if you treat them right. If I am wrong educate me.

I believe that we as gun and shooting enthusiasts, should be trying to educate and recruit as many responsible gun owners as possible. Heck, maybe trump can designate a national "take a non gun owner shooting day"

Just my $.02

PleaseEatSomePoo

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2009
    Baltimore
    I do wish FSGR all the best in their endeavours, but they need to work on organizing traffic better. On more than one occasion I've been glanced over when i noticeably require service as in getting checked in for a lane or checking out for a purchase.

TGS does have that grungry feel but the guys there are solid people and it doesn't "totally" feel like a bubba den.

Other than that, there is Gun connection you could try at as well.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Having some kind of complex with people "asking the same questions" over and over. Sounds like real great customer service.

Find any hobby on the internet; gun message boards, car message boards, whatever, filled with people asking the same questions over and over. It's a fact of life these days, nearly no one takes any time to research information themselves.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    "I believe that we as gun and shooting enthusiasts, should be trying to educate and recruit as many responsible gun owners as possible. "

Could not agree more here. I see no reason not to help out a person new to firearms or get annoyed because they have asked the same question as many others. I would venture to say that mostly every person here was beginning with firearms and asked the same questions at some point. Thats one of the fun parts, learning and gaining knowledge about firearms. OP if you do find a place to work part time, be the guy who answers the questions even if you get them all the time, you may be able able to put a nice friendly face to some one who might not normally think that way of people in the "gun culture" as the antis call us.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I am stopping by there today. Cool little shop. After 2012 its gotten different, but I feel like several shops have just gotten tired of people coming in time after time with the same questions and BS.

If you work in a gun shop, you better get used to the same questions being asked over and over again. Those questions must be important to each individual coming into your store. They have no idea you've been asked that same question 1000 times. But if it takes another 1000 times to make your customers happy, you answer it again and again with a smile.

That's with any retail sales job, not just firearm sales. Sure, you're going to get that customer that knows nothing and wants to know everything before making a purchase. If a gun shop isn't interested in dealing with these customers, that shop probably won't be around long. Look at Continental Arms. They had the only game in town and should still be #1 in the area. But because of a few rude employees/owners, they've lost a ton of business.

Your reputation is only as good as your last customer.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom