• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I lived in Harford Square from '72-'78. Meadowhood destroyed that area. We couldn't get out quick enough.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I can imagine the thugs getting a handgun from the robbery. Shooting two teens armed with a non lethal weapon may not turn out well in the courts.

After the first punch was thrown, lethal force was authorized.

No one would have known about a stun gun until they were inventoried for the morgue.

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    After the first punch was thrown, lethal force was authorized.

No one would have known about a stun gun until they were inventoried for the morgue.

Maybe in Afghanistan you can shoot a 17 year old who punches you. Try it in Maryland. Lethal force? Not gonna work. Manslaughter or second degree.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Maybe in Afghanistan you can shoot a 17 year old who punches you. Try it in Maryland. Lethal force? Not gonna work. Manslaughter or second degree.

****I was kinda thinking the same thing. Disparate power, gun versus kid who was getting his life back in order and thinking of applying to Med school, etc..

Anyone would immediately fear for their life at the initial point of contact in the attack. You have just been assaulted out of the blue and in public.

You do not know what the bad guy is going to do next, because everything is happening so fast.

This is the point where your brain turns off and your fight/flight response kicks in. You will not have time to think about what is happening to you, unless you lie down and endure what ever is being dished out. If you are lucky, you "might" (there odds are not good) survive the attack.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

You are aware of the violent felonies being committed by 13 and 14 year olds in Baltimore everyday, right?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yes. But a bad idea to kill one of them.

No one said anything of killing anyone else.

Stopping the threat/attack is the goal.

If the perp breaks contact, that is the end of it.

If you manage to break contact and the perp does not pursue, that is the end of it.

If the perp dies as a result of their bad choice, so be it.

Using lethal force is not the same as killing someone, they may survive their incapacitating injury.

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    Anyone would immediately fear for their life at the initial point of contact in the attack. You have just been assaulted out of the blue and in public.

You do not know what the bad guy is going to do next, because everything is happening so fast.

This is the point where your brain turns off and your fight/flight response kicks in. You will not have time to think about what is happening to you, unless you lie down and endure what ever is being dished out. If you are lucky, you "might" (there odds are not good) survive the attack.

If you shoot someone in MD, make sure it is in your house and that he is armed. Even better if he is not a teeny bopper. The idea of deploying a firearm in public requires something really extreme. Two punks with a Taser? Good luck with the jury for the criminal trial and with damages for the civil trial. Just giving you a likely outcome in Md assuming you shot and kill a teenager.

Last edited:

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    No one said anything of killing anyone else.

Stopping the threat/attack is the goal.

If the perp breaks contact, that is the end of it.

If you manage to break contact and the perp does not pursue, that is the end of it.

If the perp dies as a result of their bad choice, so be it.

Using lethal force is not the same as killing someone, they may survive their incapacitating injury.

Good point.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If you shoot someone in MD, make sure it is in your house and that he is armed. Even better if he is not a teeny bopper. The idea of deploying a firearm in public requires something really extreme. Two punks with a Taser? Good luck with the jury for the criminal trial and with damages for the civil trial. Just giving you a likely outcome in Md.

Are you a lawyer?

If you are home which is totally different than the OPs scenario, because you have no duty to retreat like in public.

Once the door flies open, or the glass breaks. You have every right to defend yourself, the perp would be up to no good and you have plenty of reason to fear for your life. Oh Yeah, Maryland has Civil immunity. Check it out.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    If you shoot someone in MD, make sure it is in your house and that he is armed. Even better if he is not a teeny bopper. The idea of deploying a firearm in public requires something really extreme. Two punks with a Taser? Good luck with the jury for the criminal trial and with damages for the civil trial. Just giving you a likely outcome in Md assuming you shot and kill a teenager.

What do you suggest if a home intruder is not armed? Perhaps he has a utility knife. Can I only defend myself with the same size utility knife?

How much do you charge for legal advice?

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    What do you suggest if a home intruder is not armed? Perhaps he has a utility knife. Can I only defend myself with the same size utility knife?

How much do you charge for legal advice?

If a perp is stealing your TV and you shoot him in the back as he is leaving, you are probably going to jail. If you have reasonable fear of serious bodily harm you can shoot. You cannot use Lethal force to protect your TV, as an example. You can in Texas..

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If a perp is stealing your TV and you shoot him in the back as he is leaving, you are probably going to jail. If you have reasonable fear of serious bodily harm you can shoot. You cannot use Lethal force to protect your TV, as an example. You can in Texas..

Yes you can, especially if you see a sharp object in the prep's hand, or the perp mutters "I am going to kill you".

On that note, you will have a little more explaining to do, if you plug him in the back, "because he was turning in your direction".

No matter what, there will be an investigation.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    What a train wreck of a thread.

The article doesn't have kids running out the store with stolen TV. Evidently they got to jump on some random dude to use punches and a what I guess is a handheld taser.

What if this victim was a martial arts master and just with one Mortal Kombat round house kick, a perp died? Let's take the gun out of the equation.

These weren't kids throwing snowballs at you.

I don't see why the TOOL or METHOD matters as long as it's justified self defense.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    You know if you are under attack, afraid of injury or death you do what ever you have to, damn the consequences. You don't stop to ask for id, so you can make sure the attacker is old enough to defend against, you don't say oh well it's only a taser, or I can take a beating rather than deal with the legal system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom