are "arm braces" ATF's backdoor strategy for reducing Form 1 wait times?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    There has been such confusion and ambiguity created in the last few years regarding arm braces on rifle caliber pistols that I can't help but think it's intentional at this point. First they were ok to shoulder, then not ok to shoulder, then ok to shoulder again..... at this point there's enough plausible deniability to keep things sufficiently muddied that it's doubtful anyone would ever find themselves in any trouble for shouldering an arm brace.

So is this an intentional move by NFA branch to reduce the number of incoming Form 1's for SBR's? By letting people essentially create a look-alike SBR from a pistol, thus lowering the volume of Forms needing to be processed and hopefully dropping wait times. Seems like a good strategy on their part, if it's intentional.

I've built 4 bare receivers into rifle caliber pistols with arm braces in the last few months, and I'm seriously contemplating having EVERY bare receiver built into a pistol first, photographed and marked as such, just for the versatility options. I doubt I'll ever again build a receiver into a rifle first again.

It makes me wonder if this was some kind of compromise strategy on their behalf to drop wait times so that suppressors won't need to be unregulated, but will remain NFA, with more realistic wait times

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I honestly don't think BATF gives a rat's potute how long we have to wait.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    They might not care, but some people in Congress who keep getting calls and letters from angry constituents do. And eventually they're going to start asking questions about why a very simple paperwork process is taking 14+ months now.

Please don't assume I think ATF is doing this out if the kindness of their hearts. That would be silly.

But I DO know that agency directors don't like getting calls from Hill offices asking "why _____________________ ?"

If approval times and numbers of submitted Form 1's are down significantly next year, then I'd say that proves my theory correct. We'll have to wait and see.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I think you over thought this.

This. The ATF nor congress care about what the people are saying or thinking Neither are accountable to the people. If they were, wait times wouldn't be what they are and suppressors wouldn't be class 3. Obamacare would have been repealed, taxes would be reformed, and our immegration system would be overhauled.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    This. The ATF nor congress care about what the people are saying or thinking Neither are accountable to the people. If they were, wait times wouldn't be what they are and suppressors wouldn't be class 3. Obamacare would have been repealed, taxes would be reformed, and our immegration system would be overhauled.

Do you work on the Hill? Have you ever? No, you say? Shocking. How did I know that, right?

Well I have. And not all of them are as useless and disinterested as your own delegation from here in MD. Some of them are very, very responsive to calls and letters from constituents. My former boss was an outspoken (literally) regular type guy from a southern state. Our SOP was that every reasonable inquiry from a constituent got looked into and responded to. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that other men like my old boss would pick up the phone and make a call if one of their voters asked them too. Because I've seen it happen. And agency heads don't like getting calls from the guys who sit on the committees who approve their budgets asking them questions about why the public is pissed off at them.

But I'm sure you're right. It's just overthinking

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Do you work on the Hill? Have you ever? No, you say? Shocking. How did I know that, right?

Well I have. And not all of them are as useless and disinterested as your own delegation from here in MD. Some of them are very, very responsive to calls and letters from constituents. My former boss was an outspoken (literally) regular type guy from a southern state. Our SOP was that every reasonable inquiry from a constituent got looked into and responded to. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that other men like my old boss would pick up the phone and make a call if one of their voters asked them too. Because I've seen it happen. And agency heads don't like getting calls from the guys who sit on the committees who approve their budgets asking them questions about why the public is pissed off at them.

Can you let us know who your former boss is? Maybe that way we can send an email to someone who cares, unlike our "representatives" from this state.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland

No You are right I've never worked on the hill. But my wife's uncle was one of the youngest reprentatives to represent any district in Maryland in congressional history. Her other uncle was a deputy chief of staff for Steny Hoyer. Both served in the Annapolis as well. But you are right, I don't know how it works.

Like someone said, if your reprentattive was so responsive, could you let me know who it was. I would like for someone in congress to: pass a budget, get the debt under control, start updating our aging infrastructure, fix our broken defense acquisition system, ... well you get the point.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD

I think you are overthinking it. I don't think that anyone on the Hill gives a crap about SBRs or braces. But at the same time I can't give you a good reason why the ATF would reverse their decision. Just my opinion. No harm meant.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The arm brace decisions just sound like bureaucratic stupidity. We're lucky they went in our favor for once.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    If approval times and numbers of submitted Form 1's are down significantly next year, then I'd say that proves my theory correct. We'll have to wait and see.

I would say that you will have a difficult time proving your theory correct. Not only is ATF using more algorithms for form approval, we had an unprecedented surge in applications due to 41F. If form times and submissions DON'T go down next year I would be shocked. I don't think it will have anything to do with your theory, however.

Correlation =/= Causation

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom