• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhatch

Jan 13, 2013
    Need to build 2 guns out of some non serialized lowers. Given that they aren't designated as rifles or handguns, my understanding is that this doesn't quality as Class 3 and I should just build them as pistols. I guess the ATF says that forearm braces are fine now to shoulder.

Gun 1 - House gun:

I am thinking of something in handgun caliber (9mm 147 grain), suppressed, AR-15 lower (a wise buddy tells me the Colt mags work well...if possible I would love to stay with the Glock mags for some crossover use), optic (inside home so quick access and only 30-40 yards max).

Gun 2 - Truck gun:

Rifle caliber (recommendations...? 5.56, 7.62x39...?) pistol, suppressed again, optic (a bit longer here).

Thanks.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I would make the truck gun a rifle. There are fewer restrictions on how and when you can have it in your vehicle.

Blackhatch

Jan 13, 2013
    I would make the truck gun a rifle. There are fewer restrictions on how and when you can have it in your vehicle.

Okay.

I am a VA resident for the record. I did live in MD but couldn't take the BS regulations.

As luck would have it....VA is turning into more of a complete sh*t show than MD is.

Does that change the recommendation?

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    2nd truck gun being a rifle format. Wouldn't have to worry as much with regulations, especially if you ended up having to drive in MD. w/o a ccw, I don't think you can carry a pistol, even AR format, freely in your vehicle. if you build out a lower as a pistol first, you can change it to a rifle and back to pistol. go straight to rifle, legally can't make it a pistol I believe. or is that just in the peoples republik of MD?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Okay.

I am a VA resident for the record. I did live in MD but couldn't take the BS regulations.

As luck would have it....VA is turning into more of a complete sh*t show than MD is.

Does that change the recommendation?

If you have your CCW, pistol would be great. No CCW, I would still say rifle.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    In Colorado and the surrounding states you can have a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a CCW but you cannot have a loaded rifle in a vehicle. I like the idea of an AR pistol as a truck gun.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    As a Virginia resident living and driving in Virginia, you can keep a handgun in your vehicle. With a rifle, you would have to keep it unloaded. Why? Hunting regulations. Weird, I know. That's why I keep an AR pistol in my truck here. Or I could just have the rifle and full mags in a case. Since I can't hunt with a firearm in PWC, Loudoun, and Fairfax, it really doesn't matter unless I'm going somewhere like WV.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    2nd truck gun being a rifle format. Wouldn't have to worry as much with regulations, especially if you ended up having to drive in MD. w/o a ccw, I don't think you can carry a pistol, even AR format, freely in your vehicle. if you build out a lower as a pistol first, you can change it to a rifle and back to pistol. go straight to rifle, legally can't make it a pistol I believe. or is that just in the peoples republik of MD?

But, build the trunk gun as a pistol first and then put a stock on it. That way your lower can be bi-configuraiton rather the hetero-configuration.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I get loaded vs non-loaded is a couple of seconds difference in the weapon being ready, but more than just Maryland disallows carriage of a handgun in your vehicle without a CCW.

At least in my case if I was in NoVa, unless it was impossible, whatever vehicle weapon, I’d want to try to comply with the laws in the surrounding states. I wouldn’t want to worry about having to rememebr to remove the weapon if I had to run across state lines for business or pleasure.

Blackhatch

Jan 13, 2013
    So I am a VA resident and do have the VA CCW (CHP). Is the law in VA that you can't have the rifle in the car? I have the pistol that I will by carrying concealed (except in MD), but I do like the idea of having a gun that I could roll into MD with.

I was under the impression that in MD residents only get to go to and from the range is all. Other than that, it has to be unloaded and broken down all the time.

Flipping laws are so all over the place and make no damn sense.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    So I am a VA resident and do have the VA CCW (CHP). Is the law in VA that you can't have the rifle in the car? I have the pistol that I will by carrying concealed (except in MD), but I do like the idea of having a gun that I could roll into MD with.

I was under the impression that in MD residents only get to go to and from the range is all. Other than that, it has to be unloaded and broken down all the time.

Flipping laws are so all over the place and make no damn sense.

The law in Virginia is you can't have a loaded long gun in your car. Especially during any hunting season. You can do the Israeli thing and have the magazine inserted, but no round in the chamber. But since I have a resident CHP, I can keep a loaded Mossberg Shockwave in my trunk, unless I'm going shooting at Quantico.

Blackhatch

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks.

Given that I have the CHP and will have the carry gun on the hip, I guess the rifle option works here if I have to voyage into MD.

Anyone know the laws in MD if I am rolling in there?

Lets go back to the approach to the build. Better to start it out as a pistol and then make it a rifle because it can go back to a pistol if need be?

How about the comments on the parts and pieces build out?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Consider NOT making your house gun in a pistol caliber. Heavier, slower rounds will penetrate drywall better than lighter, faster rounds which tend to fragment. Consider making your house gun 5.56.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I don't mean to derail the thread; but for home defense I like a 20 gauge pump shotgun with an 18.5" barrel and 00 shot. Anyone in the household can handle a 20 gauge, and collateral damage is practically nil with buckshot but effective at close range.

An AR pistol would be an awesome truck gun where it is legal to do so. Can you have an SBR in your vehicle - provided you stay within the same state? Of course one problem with a truck gun is you have to worry about someone stealing it.

Blackhatch

Jan 13, 2013
    Wife has the shotgun that she is comfortable using as of right now. This is more of a room to room clearing tool for me.

The whole rifle vs. pistol vs. SBR is a pain in the Ass.

Would I just call the state police for clarity on this? How about the state of Maryland?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom