• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steve67134

Nov 27, 2009
    Does anyone have any recommendations on a decent pair of prescription safety glasses for the range? Or where to buy them. Or what not to buy.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Oops. Edited. Didn't read the word prescription.

I've found that no prescription glasses work well for seeing the rear sight, the front sight, and the target. At least with my vision.

A pair of 1.25 magnifiers helps me to see the rear and front clearly. With the target just out of focus.

And for 20 bucks too.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    The last time I went to my eye doctor, he made me a new pair of every day glasses and a pair of shooting glasses. He had done shooting (safety) glasses for a couple others, and he claimed he was into shooting.
    This guy is in Pasadena but not knowing where you are, I don't know if that is going to help you.

http://drwoolf.com/

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Just make sure when wearing them that they allow you to look through the correct focal point of the lense. I have heard this was a problem for some when rifle shooting, that the shooter is looking through the edge of the lense and getting a distorted view.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Just make sure when wearing them that they allow you to look through the correct focal point of the lense. I have heard this was a problem for some when rifle shooting, that the shooter is looking through the edge of the lense and getting a distorted view.

If I try to use my progressives, yes this happens. Get a single vision made for shooting and you should be OK.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just beware that at least some marketed as "shooting" or "safety" glasses don't have much more if any protection vs regular sunglasses. look for ansi and mil ratings if you want real protection.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    In some positions I end up looking through the top edge of the lens. Distortion is less of an issue than just Looking though lens at all. My next pair will be bigger.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

That's why I have to wear contacts when shooting and also why I am looking in to LASEK. I've got an astigmatism on my eyes, worse in my right and it gets really bad in low light. Like I go from 20/20 with contacts in to maybe 20/40 once it is about 15 minutes past sun down. It makes using even ghost ring fiber sights pretty hard until last shooting light. I can use my left eye till last shooting light, but as a righty and right eye dominant, sort of a no go. With my glasses that correct for my astigmatism I can go till last shooting light, but it is really hard to get a good sight picture as the lens isn't aligned well with the glasses I have.

I can shoot with glasses but it is massively far from ideal.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Morgan Optical.

The staff are shooters. Good people, good service, good products.

I use Randolph Ranger frames. In have lenses in Brown (sunny), Yellow (cloudy and indoors), and Target Purple (clays).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom