• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    i picked up the mossberg 500, persuader at dick's, on sale for $250.00. and i am with august1410 on readiness. the only thing a confirmed intruder will hear upon entering my home will be the snap of the safety being pushed to reveal the red dot.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Easy

100_1222.JPG

Seriously I would say you cant go wrong with a base Remington 870 or Mossberg Pump, I have all Mossberg's but that has been maintly because I have been searching for odd versions (590A1 talo) etc.

Bargain basement, sometimes a Coach double is a good choice.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I keep hearing about intimdation, the racking of the slide and accessories.

None of this stuff is important when you have to defend your family.

My point on that issue was that my friend's wife might not have what it takes to actually shoot someone (if she was home alone). So anything that might deter an intruder short of her having to pull the trigger was a major consideration. Ergo the audible/visual intimidation factor. If you were an intruder, would you continue to approach a frightened woman waving a nasty looking 12 gauge (or any shotgun) at you?

And that shotgun is hilarious. :lol:

n&n'sdad

Take'em!!
    Dec 20, 2010
    In the goose pit
    I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I keep hearing about intimdation, the racking of the slide and accessories.

None of this stuff is important when you have to defend your family. Reliability, dependability and a gun that works the way it should are the only factors that should matter.

I don't have a collapsible stock, pistol grip or heat shield. If someone is in my house, a shell is already racked in the chamber and ready to go.

You are defending your home and your family. You are not showing off for the intruder.

The best shotgun for home defense is the closest one to you.
    The best shotgun for home defense is the one you know how to use proficiently.
    The best shotgun for home defense is the the one you will never have to use.

You couldn't have said it any better. I have an 870,definately "ol reliable".

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Best HD gun for the money? What is your life worth? This is one thing that you don't want to skimp on if you are serious about having the all popular "HD Gun". Can't believe some of the absolute junk that some people choose.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Best HD gun for the money? What is your life worth? This is one thing that you don't want to skimp on if you are serious about having the all popular "HD Gun". Can't believe some of the absolute junk that some people choose.

Remember boys and girls, if you don't have chokes that cost hundreds of dollars, it's not worth owning! :rolleyes:

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Good Point!

what do you consider to be complete junk if you don't mind me asking?:thumbsup:

The way I see it, there are two big mistakes some guys make when buying a HD shotgun. First, they buy junk that may not work. Secondly, they buy guns they don't know how to shoot and they never learn to shoot.

The junk I see are the Chicom replicas, cheap Turkish autos, the numerous modern coach guns and some guns that would be otherwise OK if they didn't have a ton of aftermarket garbage on them to the point that they become unreliable or a distraction.

Guns that some guys don't know how to shoot are pump guns. Some folks simply buy them, maybe shoot them once and load them up with add-on crapola thinking that they look and function better that way. Most new pumpgun owners, even after familiarizing themselves with the gun will short stroke it, feed it cheap steel base hulls that stick in many chambers and even forget to take the saftey off half of the time before they shoot. These things are done routinely on skeet and trap fields when they are under no pressure.
    If someone wants a pump for a HD gun, they should force themselves to shoot it often so if they did have to use it for HD, they wouldn't screw up.

If you shoot a pump a lot and understand what loads work and what loads don't, that's great. Otherwise (for most people), they would be better served with a quality autoloader if they think they really need a shotgun for HD. Actually, most people would be better off with a revolver for HD, not a shotgun. "Know what I mean Vern?"

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    +1. For retention most are better off with a revolver for house clearing but for a woman barricaded in a room a shotgun with buckshot or slugs will stop most anything.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    The way I see it, there are two big mistakes some guys make when buying a HD shotgun. First, they buy junk that may not work. Secondly, they buy guns they don't know how to shoot and they never learn to shoot.

The junk I see are the Chicom replicas, cheap Turkish autos, the numerous modern coach guns and some guns that would be otherwise OK if they didn't have a ton of aftermarket garbage on them to the point that they become unreliable or a distraction.

Guns that some guys don't know how to shoot are pump guns. Some folks simply buy them, maybe shoot them once and load them up with add-on crapola thinking that they look and function better that way. Most new pumpgun owners, even after familiarizing themselves with the gun will short stroke it, feed it cheap steel base hulls that stick in many chambers and even forget to take the saftey off half of the time before they shoot. These things are done routinely on skeet and trap fields when they are under no pressure.
    If someone wants a pump for a HD gun, they should force themselves to shoot it often so if they did have to use it for HD, they wouldn't screw up.

If you shoot a pump a lot and understand what loads work and what loads don't, that's great. Otherwise (for most people), they would be better served with a quality autoloader if they think they really need a shotgun for HD. Actually, most people would be better off with a revolver for HD, not a shotgun. "Know what I mean Vern?"

GOOD POSTING!!!! :thumbsup:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    +1. For retention most are better off with a revolver for house clearing but for a woman barricaded in a room a shotgun with buckshot or slugs will stop most anything.

not a great tactician or anything and also not trying to put that statement down, just want to offer some further thought on the matter. If you're in a room, all you have to cover is the entrance and be faster on the draw than whatever is coming through that entrance. If you are entering a room, you need to scan the entire room, focus on the threat and then address it. You're always at a disadvantage if you're clearing a house or room by yourself.

Whenever possible, the best thing to do is probably to secure loved ones in to a room as quick as possible and get the police on the phone while guarding the entrance to that room. Of course there's situations where you're forced to move through a house to check on/gather children/family or simply to check out a bang that may be a badguy or may be the dog. Just throwin this out there for further consideration.

shotgun
    cons:
    *must use two healthy arms(especially for a pump...unless you're sarah connor)...means no free hand for phone, flashlight, or dragging loved ones
    *long and hard to maneuver around tight spots(shutup clandestine ;) )
    *recoil isn't friendly to new shooters
    *slow to shoot and limited capacity

Pros:
    * they can kill a friggin elephant...no shortage of "stopping power"
    * easier to shoot under stress than handguns because of 3 points of contact(hands plus shoulder) and longer sight radius
    * usually much cheaper than handguns

handgun:
    cons
    * poke holes well, but lack "stopping power" over shotgun
    * very difficult to fire accurately with stress response kicking in
    * I'd mention tap/rack/bang drill, but revolvers and shotguns can malfunction too

pros:
    *free hand to hold phone/flashlight/loved ones...also if one side is injured, you can just use the other hand/arm
    *compact and easy to conceal or maneuver
    * lots of capacity and fast reloads(except revolvers...unless you're jerry miculek)

agree with comments about training. Brains are smart and learn quick, but are slow in stress, muscles are dumb and learn reallllllly slow but are quick in stress. In wrestling, they used to mention having to drill a move 1,000+ times before it was useful for anything in a match when your pulse was pounding in your ears and you couldn't breathe. Something with fine motor skills like turning off a safety and reloading is much harder to master than a double-leg shot or peterson's.

Last edited:

Gaius Baltar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 7, 2010
    i hate to do this, but after checking out that new keltec shotgun, "our thoughts" on hd shotgun has just evolved. it maybe time to store our mossbergs/mavs, remingtons, winchesters, charles daly (because i own a semi auto ;o)etc.. for something with 14rds and easier to use in a home.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Two quick points:

-smokey0118 is spot on with his assessment, again. total defense shotgun is probably a tad better, but if you need the versatility to investigate that bump in the night, a pistol is probably a better choice.

-Kel Tec shotgun, what the?!? First I heard of this, so I google-fu'ed it, and sure enough, WOW!

KSG_3357web.jpg

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=5659

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/KSG_4459web.jpg

January 3, 2011
    Kel-Tec Unveils The New KSG Dual-Tube Pump Shotgun
    Filed under: Shotguns — Tags: Shotguns — CTD Blogger @ 1:09 AM

The Kel-Tec KSG was unveiled this weekend on the cover of Shooting Industry magazine. Photo by Oleg Volk.
    Kel-Tec’s newest revolutionary bull-pup design was announced over the weekend on the cover of the NSSF’s Shooting Industry magazine. Details of the new shotgun are sketchy, but presumably all will be made known at the upcoming NSSF SHOT Show.

The shotgun bears a stunning resemblance to the South African designed Neostead pump action scattergun. The operator is able to move a switch located near the top of the grip to select the right or left tube, or move the switch to the center to eject a shell without chambering another round. The bull-pup design results in an overall length of only 26″ with an 18.5″ barrel while the bottom eject design makes the firearm truly ambidextrous.

Shown next to the box of slugs in the photo to the left, you truly begin to get a sense of scale. The bull-pup design of the KSG makes it ideal for home defense and CQB. The incredibly short overall length makes it more nimble than a sawed off shotgun, and with a 14+1 capacity you don’t sacrifice ammunition capacity to get a shotty in a small package.

Ammunition capacity is 14+1 with 2 3/4″ shells. The KSG is shown with a factory installed Picatinny rail with flip up sights and a pistol grip. MSRP is not known at the moment, nor is there an expected date of availability.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Two quick points:

-smokey0118 is spot on with his assessment, again. total defense shotgun is probably a tad better, but if you need the versatility to investigate that bump in the night, a pistol is probably a better choice.

-Kel Tec shotgun, what the?!? First I heard of this, so I google-fu'ed it, and sure enough, WOW!

KSG_3357web.jpg

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=5659

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/KSG_4459web.jpg

January 3, 2011
    Kel-Tec Unveils The New KSG Dual-Tube Pump Shotgun
    Filed under: Shotguns — Tags: Shotguns — CTD Blogger @ 1:09 AM

The Kel-Tec KSG was unveiled this weekend on the cover of Shooting Industry magazine. Photo by Oleg Volk.
    Kel-Tec’s newest revolutionary bull-pup design was announced over the weekend on the cover of the NSSF’s Shooting Industry magazine. Details of the new shotgun are sketchy, but presumably all will be made known at the upcoming NSSF SHOT Show.

The shotgun bears a stunning resemblance to the South African designed Neostead pump action scattergun. The operator is able to move a switch located near the top of the grip to select the right or left tube, or move the switch to the center to eject a shell without chambering another round. The bull-pup design results in an overall length of only 26″ with an 18.5″ barrel while the bottom eject design makes the firearm truly ambidextrous.

Shown next to the box of slugs in the photo to the left, you truly begin to get a sense of scale. The bull-pup design of the KSG makes it ideal for home defense and CQB. The incredibly short overall length makes it more nimble than a sawed off shotgun, and with a 14+1 capacity you don’t sacrifice ammunition capacity to get a shotty in a small package.

Ammunition capacity is 14+1 with 2 3/4″ shells. The KSG is shown with a factory installed Picatinny rail with flip up sights and a pistol grip. MSRP is not known at the moment, nor is there an expected date of availability.

14 rds!!!! I think i'm saving up to get one now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom