• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Think everyone who frequents this forum knows what an auction whore I am. I'll bookmark and track upwards of 150-200 lots at any given time. Mostly to keep up with market prices.
    -But occasionally I will tag items that are just cool and interesting. Most are beyond my reach but it's neat to see what the well heeled are willing to pay for stuff.
    -This time it was a fully transferable German FG-42 in the current Morphy multi-day auction. This puppy hammered for $130k which means $163,800 with the obscene 26 point vig. Usually with lots like this the high bidder is someone who's live in the room and has had the opportunity to inspect the item. I know I would for something in the six digit price range. Worth the cost of a plane ticket and hotel room when you're shelling out that much coin. But this lot went to an internet bidder. I'd be curious to know if he/she bid blind without an inspection.

Attachments

• 3_1.jpg
      3_1.jpg
      30 KB · Views: 606

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    -Think everyone who frequents this forum knows what an auction whore I am. I'll bookmark and track upwards of 150-200 lots at any given time. Mostly to keep up with market prices.
    -But occasionally I will tag items that are just cool and interesting. Most are beyond my reach but it's neat to see what the well heeled are willing to pay for stuff.
    -This time it was a fully transferable German FG-42 in the current Morphy multi-day auction. This puppy hammered for $130k which means $163,800 with the obscene 26 point vig. Usually with lots like this the high bidder is someone who's live in the room and has had the opportunity to inspect the item. I know I would for something in the six digit price range. Worth the cost of a plane ticket and hotel room when you're shelling out that much coin. But this lot went to an internet bidder. I'd be curious to know if he/she bid blind without an inspection.

Maybe. But at the same time, I’d also be pretty confident that if someone is shelling out six figures for a gun, no matter how awesome, they’ve got plenty of spare money. So they might well rather be doing something with their time than going to the auction.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Worth more than it sold for

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

After seeing your post I did some poking around the net, looking for recent comps. Not a lot out there. It seems that up to 2014 the typical price for a transferable FG42 was in the $150k region. Then RIA sold one that year and there was a bidding war on it. Sold for a crazy $299K (don't know for sure if this includes the 18.5% vig or not, bet not). Since then nothing until this one at Morphy, who had a pre-auction estimate of $150-$175k.
    Did find out that in Europe the typical price for a functional FG-42 is in the 70K euro range. That's about $80k. Huge difference!

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    After seeing your post I did some poking around the net, looking for recent comps. Not a lot out there. It seems that up to 2014 the typical price for a transferable FG42 was in the $150k region. Then RIA sold one that year and there was a bidding war on it. Sold for a crazy $299K (don't know for sure if this includes the 18.5% vig or not, bet not). Since then nothing until this one at Morphy, who had a pre-auction estimate of $150-$175k.
    Did find out that in Europe the typical price for a functional FG-42 is in the 70K euro range. That's about $80k. Huge difference!
    In Finland fully functioning MG-42 sells for 1,500-2,000€. My buddy just sold his at auction he was estatic to get 2,050€ he was expecting 1,500€. There was a FG-42 sale last year for $415,000. That was an earlier more rare model. Similar model sold 100,000€ in Finland.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    A transferable FG-42 is on my long list of MGs to add to the collection. Very innovative gun for it's time. :thumbsup:

I didn't think I would have anything to say....
    Well, that is the definitive thumbs up in my book.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    This illustrates just how much of a screaming deal the SMG offering is.

SMG:

Original:

SMG with original (and a couple original helmets):

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Mark, you sure it isn't your latest acquisition? :innocent0

I was watching the big RIA auction today and bookmarked a lot with two FG-42 replica copies from the Japanese firm Shoei. They're akin to airsoft rifles but built to exact scale and heft as the originals and fire replica cartridges. This lot had two brand new first and second variations of the FG-42. Sold for $2450! Hell, I can't even afford the replicas!

Attachments

• shoeifg42type2_29092016.jpg
      shoeifg42type2_29092016.jpg
      44.5 KB · Views: 207
    Jul 1, 2012
    Some of those Japanese replicas are amazingly accurate in detail, and have their own collector following.
    Some of the stuff from the 60's/70's is very collectible... I've passed on a few MGC P.38's, which were almost as expensive as the real WW2 ones (and more than the post-war) !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom