• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hmnnn not bad the price! Thanks!

I say not much because a lot of people in other forums/posts were saying 100fps isn't much compared to how less accurate a 24" is to a 20". Of course i can't actually know what is true/untrue/etc... :)

It can be a bit easier to make an accurate shorter barrel, but shorter isn’t inherently more accurate. 6.5 Grendel was designed in part to get the most omph from a 26” barrel.

100fps on a 3200fps projectile at short ranges isn’t much, but 100fps on a 2500fps projectile that is being shot to 1000yds is the better part of a foot less drop IIRC as well as a couple of inches less windage. My 2 cents is if this is not meant for hunting or SD or SHTF or anything, go longer. Now if you were buying a $400 barrel or something and the company won’t stand behind it if accuracy is a problem, go shorter. But if you are talking <$200, absolutely worth a try with a longer barrel. That is what I would have done, but mine is primarily for hunting deer and I didn’t want to give up as much velocity or extra muzzle blast that a 16” barrel would have resulted in. So I went 18”

I am swapping the scope base tomorrow and re-zeroing it at the range. I forget the make of the current base, but is a not bad 5.5oz. I have an aero precision base that is 3.2oz going on there. Also I swapped the KAK micro flash can for a KAW Linear comp (more effective at forwarding muzzle blast and reducing flash).

The target is from 100yds on a windy (10-20mph gusts) day, rapid fire (1 shot every 2 seconds). Hornady American gunner.

Ignore the bottom (well, as it is rotated, right) most hole. I was re-zeroing the scope between that shot and the 5 round group.

Attachments

• 96D12433-3618-4741-BCCE-B0957D87B79D.jpg
      96D12433-3618-4741-BCCE-B0957D87B79D.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 249
    • BC3EB118-A041-4EA2-8246-F60A79C0A168.jpg
      BC3EB118-A041-4EA2-8246-F60A79C0A168.jpg
      77 KB · Views: 237
    • E82EBEC8-D563-41FF-8942-F9F43976F42B.jpg
      E82EBEC8-D563-41FF-8942-F9F43976F42B.jpg
      83 KB · Views: 235

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Awesome! I'm looking at cheaper 24" barrels, not much option. Lots of options in 18 and 20 though!

Going to get my feet wet first before i decide to drop any good $.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Awesome! I'm looking at cheaper 24" barrels, not much option. Lots of options in 18 and 20 though!

Going to get my feet wet first before i decide to drop any good $.

Having been down this road before, I'd recommend spending the extra money for a good barrel. I've spent $1k on a cheap build and been upset indont spend $1,400 on one that shoots lights out.

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Having been down this road before, I'd recommend spending the extra money for a good barrel. I've spent $1k on a cheap build and been upset indont spend $1,400 on one that shoots lights out.

Thanks. I can't see how spending 2x or even 4x would make any sense honestly. I'v seen barrels for $100, $200, $400 and $800. I'm imagining something in the $200ish should perform well enough. Barrel that is.

Could be a total junk of course... then i would resell and take a small hit.

Once i start spending more on that upper... why not put it in a whole new precision rifle, made just for that? Probably ends up being cheaper and better, but then... its a whole new rifle.

Same thing with photography, i used to shoot professional 10ish years ago. The glass is worth its money, but at a huge cost, and quite often the ratio of performance/cost doesn't add up haha

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    If I were going to get a 24" pipe for a 6.5 Grendel rifle, I'd think long and hard about one of the Brownells Premium Barrels made by Satern. I've heard good things about them. They are also typically in stock and run $280, sometimes less. If BHW hadn't jacked up prices in the past few years, I'd also look at them. I think they have decent sales every now and then, but it seems like the days of a sleeper 1/2 MOA barrel from BHW for $220 are over . . . Still great products and I'm glad they are more popular these days, but money doesn't grow on trees . . .

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par.../ar-15-m16-6-5-grendel-barrels-prod69785.aspx

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Thanks, been eyeing them. A bit expensive but might go with a regular upper instead of a side charge... even though side charge is cool... :P

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yes Black hole weaponry barrels are the bomb and they have climbed up. But they are accurate. I have six AR’s Two AR10’s and four AR15’s all but one are BHW barrels. Why because they shoot in particular their Bull and semi bulls Have two 15’s in 5.56 Wilde and one in 264 LBC they all shoot exceptionally well. I have two McGowen Precision bolt guns. Rem 700’s 338 WM and 270 Win. They both shoot well. So well that I am currently building a custom 284 win with Match chamber and custom throating. McGowen also make AR pattern barrels They will run less than BHW but in the end it’s not a BHW barrel. Bottom line you can find a deal when a new manufacturer is establishing itself in the market but once people catch on number rise to premium pricing. In the end you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Exactly! I just don't get the point of a gas gun that's so awkward and heavy, although to each their own I guess.

So the verdict is that 6.5G will reach out to 1k and get consistent hits with a 20" bbl?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Heck...you can do that with a .223 if the wind isn't blowing. At least to 800 reliably. 6.5G will be less resistant to wind and drop, so I'm sure it will be reliable for your purpose. 6.5CM even more so.

You don't need the fanciest most expensive gear to hit at 1000y. If it was me I'd save my money and get a Ruger American bolt action or something. To get your feet wet. $350 and a scope will be all you need to make hits at 1000y.

Aero Precision makes some uppers in 6.5.Not sure how accurate the barrels are, but hopefully near 1MOA.

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Heck...you can do that with a .223 if the wind isn't blowing. At least to 800 reliably. 6.5G will be less resistant to wind and drop, so I'm sure it will be reliable for your purpose. 6.5CM even more so.

You don't need the fanciest most expensive gear to hit at 1000y. If it was me I'd save my money and get a Ruger American bolt action or something. To get your feet wet. $350 and a scope will be all you need to make hits at 1000y.

Aero Precision makes some uppers in 6.5.Not sure how accurate the barrels are, but hopefully near 1MOA.

Was thinking of doing that, but idk... I like bolties... but oldies... and i wouldn't know what to do with another rifle... AR seems to make sense, 1 case, 2-3 uppers, 1-2 lowers. Kinda have 'one' thing when/if the significant other asks... :o

"same rifle... just mods"... :D

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Was thinking of doing that, but idk... I like bolties... but oldies... and i wouldn't know what to do with another rifle... AR seems to make sense, 1 case, 2-3 uppers, 1-2 lowers. Kinda have 'one' thing when/if the significant other asks... :o

"same rifle... just mods"... :D

Get what makes you happy, just know that you don't need it to be that expensive.

I like the idea of a 16" AR in .233 for the 0-700y range and a bolt action hunting rifle in a heavier caliber for anything longer.

Mostly because I know I would never willingly carry a long AR in the field, so it just becomes wasted cash to me.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Thanks, been eyeing them. A bit expensive but might go with a regular upper instead of a side charge... even though side charge is cool... :P

Side charge is useful on a long range build because it can be annoying to get to the charging handle with a large scope mounted on the upper.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am reading this thread with interest, because I have been looking to do some precision long-range shooting, and none of my 308 rifles are really set up for that (my RFB/M1A/FAL will never be that accurate, my CMMG Mk8 barrel is trashy and only 16", etc.). 6.5 Grendel is a lot more interesting to me than .224 Valkyrie or even .308 from that perspective.

If it was me I'd save my money and get a Ruger American bolt action or something. To get your feet wet. $350 and a scope will be all you need to make hits at 1000y.
    This is a super-strong option that I had not even considered, especially if Magpul's upcoming stock for it continues to allow you to use AR mags.

That said, I've got a couple spare AR lowers that I've built out, so it would probably be cheaper for me to just buy a BCA upper for ~$375. Saw some sub-MOA groups online from those, so it's good enough for what I would want. Or I could buy a JBO side charger and build it from parts... I'll figure it out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks. I can't see how spending 2x or even 4x would make any sense honestly. I'v seen barrels for $100, $200, $400 and $800. I'm imagining something in the $200ish should perform well enough. Barrel that is.

Could be a total junk of course... then i would resell and take a small hit.

Once i start spending more on that upper... why not put it in a whole new precision rifle, made just for that? Probably ends up being cheaper and better, but then... its a whole new rifle.

Same thing with photography, i used to shoot professional 10ish years ago. The glass is worth its money, but at a huge cost, and quite often the ratio of performance/cost doesn't add up haha

I had that learning curve with photography as well. Don’t buy the REAL cheap stuff. Go up just a notch and you’ve got good glass. The $1000 lens sure is nicer than the $300 one...but not 3x better. More like 1.2x better.

So far I’ve bought one barrel that seems to not be very accurate. It was a generic one off Brownell’s. A 16” HBAR that had been on sale for $60. With a 3x magnifier it can only manage about 2” groups at 100yds with Hornady 55gr match as well as IMI 69 and 75gr match. Cheap 55gr FMJ shoots about 2.5” groups.

The $135 Stoner 20” Barrel and $110 Classic Firearms 18” 6.5 Barrel both can do better than 1 MOA 5 shit groups with match ammo. That’s all I ask. Now at 1000yds if you want tiny groups, every little bit matters. My personal standard of accuracy for a percision rifle would be 1MOA or better. Which, sure, a lot of stuff can do these days. Really itty bitty groups are awesome, but frankly I am not willing to chase that and don’t really need it. I am not competing. Just bench shooting mostly to 100yds, sometimes out to 500yds (rarely). That and hunting, so far all under 100yds. But I am sure some day I might be taking a shot more like 200-300yds. Very unlikely ever further.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve got an AR-10 build I am working on that I am also planning an 18” Barrel for it. Mostly for hunting and bench shooting. I figure in the end it is about the size of my 20” AR-15. Probably about the same overall weight (9lbs even scoped) is my goal. A little on the heavier side, but still doable for carrying on a hunt.

I’ve got 2 lowers and eventually I’d like to build up the other one as a life bench gun. I am hoping to find a 22-24” 6.5CM Barrel and I might build a 2nd upper that is in .308 as a 22-24” and swap uppers on the lower. Or I might just go with the longer .308 upper and call it a day.

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Getting ready to place that order... I'll chime in and keep updated.

Anyone recommend a nice stock that fits mil spec ar15 buffer tube? Love my Magpul ctr stock, so I want to be able to easy swap back to it when running my shorter upper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom