• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I was out morning and afternoon today. Let two small bucks a 4pt. and spike walk. They also had a large doe with them, one that I would have taken a shot at, but that ole girl knew something wasn't right and veered off and never gave me a shot. She didn't snort or stomp, just stopped in her tracks for a second then headed a different direction than the two bucks. Several does around this evening, let them all walk. Multiple chances, nothing I wanted to take a shot this evening.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I'll be out tomorrow AM :thumbsup:
    Roger that. Although on my way home tonight all the deer in Baltimore and Carroll Counties were out feeding the last 2 hrs of daylight today. Might be pointless to hunt in the AM. Methinks they fed up tonight & will be on hold for a day or so. Hope not.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Roger that. Although on my way home tonight all the deer in Baltimore and Carroll Counties were out feeding the last 2 hrs of daylight today. Might be pointless to hunt in the AM. Methinks they fed up tonight & will be on hold for a day or so. Hope not.

Or, they may possibly be out in midday or early afternoon. The biggest bucks I have shot with bow and rifle have been shot between 11 and 1. Just the way it works where I hunt.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Agreed. Gonna be out all day for that reason. Where I’ve been hunting, seems they’ve moved to evening movements other than first half hour or so. Snow might shake things up tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing couple hundred yards up into the thicker areas tomorrow. That white background is gonna help for sure.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would want to be in a tree when the last snowflake hits the ground, no matter the time of day. Just saying.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I would want to be in a tree when the last snowflake hits the ground, no matter the time of day. Just saying.

Depending on where you hunt and who you listen to, the snow may not stop until after sunset tomorrow.

Good luck to those who are going out tomorrow. Remember to be extra careful in the snow.

Also, keep an eye on your fingers. Don't let them get wet if you can help it.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Out again this morning and so far nothing. The deer seem to have gone totally nocturnal here in hagerstown. Not a single flake of snow to be seen either.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Agreed. Gonna be out all day for that reason. Where I’ve been hunting, seems they’ve moved to evening movements other than first half hour or so. Snow might shake things up tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing couple hundred yards up into the thicker areas tomorrow. That white background is gonna help for sure.

Same here. We went from morning movement to evening movement. Bummed out that i have to work tonight :sad20:

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

Ive been watching my spot every day since opening and the deer are not moving at all when thete is enough light to make them out. Up until the day before opening they were out nearly every evening and weren't that concerned by people around. Then i go out opening day and not a sighting. Only one or two shots heard in the area too. No shots so far today

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Ive been watching my spot every day since opening and the deer are not moving at all when thete is enough light to make them out. Up until the day before opening they were out nearly every evening and weren't that concerned by people around. Then i go out opening day and not a sighting. Only one or two shots heard in the area too. No shots so far today

The lack of shooting this year is very surprising. Several other hunters in Fred Co that i have talked to have noticed it too. Very strange.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's weird. Opening day in Dickerson/Poolesville was a war zone. Tons of shots up til about noon. Not much since then. It's been a strange fall.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    We are seeing that there are lots of acorns left. Not hitting the corn so much. I took my deer from last night to a place in York Pa and saw multiple deer in the fields along 83. So I don't know what's up.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    That's weird. Opening day in Dickerson/Poolesville was a war zone. Tons of shots up til about noon. Not much since then. It's been a strange fall.

A buddy of mine lives in Dickerson near Sugarloaf and said he was out all day on the second day of rifle and didnt hear a single shot

I think Jim is right...aliens

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A buddy of mine lives in Dickerson near Sugarloaf and said he was out all day on the second day of rifle and didnt hear a single shot

I think Jim is right...aliens

Second day was definitely a graveyard. I had one broken up young 8 point bed down in front of my stand. I'm trying to remember if I saw another deer that day.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I haven't been in the woods this year, but do you think the warm weather late into fall could have caused them issues? I know it's crazy, but I also have a cherry tree in my back yard full of flowering buds. Yep, all of the leaves dropped off of the tree about a month or so ago, and just this week, I look out and see a tree with flowers and the rest of the tree is full of buds. Now today, the tree is full of flowering buds.

If the trees are this screwed up, could this be putting the deer off too?

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Debating sitting out there this afternoon. Just got back from Disney last night where I got a nasty virus (along with the wife) complete with fever, chills, vomiting.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Debating sitting out there this afternoon. Just got back from Disney last night where I got a nasty virus (along with the wife) complete with fever, chills, vomiting.

Not worth it. Your health comes first.

You will have muzzle loader season coming up.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I haven't been in the woods this year, but do you think the warm weather late into fall could have caused them issues? I know it's crazy, but I also have a cherry tree in my back yard full of flowering buds. Yep, all of the leaves dropped off of the tree about a month or so ago, and just this week, I look out and see a tree with flowers and the rest of the tree is full of buds. Now today, the tree is full of flowering buds.

If the trees are this screwed up, could this be putting the deer off too?

Trees and widow makers were crashing to the ground this morning in saint Mary's.

They are only going to move for food, or if the get spooked. Otherwise, they will be bedded down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom