• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hey, Melnic

Now that you've caught your breath from tracking down your deer, who makes that handy dandy corn spitter outter thingy hanging in the tree?

Thanks

Looks like an "American Hunter"

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I found my new favorite shot.I have been shooting TTSX bullets in my 243 for 3 yrs now.I double lung shot two does.One went 100yrds and one went 50.Both left very little blood on the ground.I hear shoot for bone when using these bullets but another doe I hit in a shoulder wasted a whole shoulder.My grandson,using the same rifle and load hit a doe in the lower shoulder and that side was wasted also.She also left a sparse blood trail.

He shot another doe,this was a low heart shot that didnt touch a leg or shoulder....no bone.She went about 40 yrds and the she left the biggest blood trail I have ever seen.There was almost zero loss of meat.

Last evening I had some does come through.I waited for one of those deer to give me one of those low heart shots.I shot and watched her go 40 yards and pile up.The other deer kind of scattered but soon came back.I took another low heart shot.That doe only went 20 yards and fell over.

Both deer left a massive blood trail and both had very little meat loss.If this shot presents itself in the future. Im taking it

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Got a small doe with 9 minutes of shooting light left. There was a big doe close behind but i was afraid i'd run out of time before it gave me a shot so i took the small one.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Got a small doe with 9 minutes of shooting light left. There was a big doe close behind but i was afraid i'd run out of time before it gave me a shot so i took the small one.

Those have the sweetest meat. Venison from an 80 lb doe is some good eating.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I found my new favorite shot.I have been shooting TTSX bullets in my 243 for 3 yrs now.I double lung shot two does.One went 100yrds and one went 50.Both left very little blood on the ground.I hear shoot for bone when using these bullets but another doe I hit in a shoulder wasted a whole shoulder.My grandson,using the same rifle and load hit a doe in the lower shoulder and that side was wasted also.She also left a sparse blood trail.

He shot another doe,this was a low heart shot that didnt touch a leg or shoulder....no bone.She went about 40 yrds and the she left the biggest blood trail I have ever seen.There was almost zero loss of meat.

Last evening I had some does come through.I waited for one of those deer to give me one of those low heart shots.I shot and watched her go 40 yards and pile up.The other deer kind of scattered but soon came back.I took another low heart shot.That doe only went 20 yards and fell over.

Both deer left a massive blood trail and both had very little meat loss.If this shot presents itself in the future. Im taking it

Why not switch bullets for times when the perfect shot isn't available? I shoot core lokt and never had a problem with blood trails when I have to aim for center mass. If you reload try out some nosler partitions or a bonded soft point like fusions. Personally for meat savings I shoot em in the neck. They fall right over and no shoulders ruined.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    First of the year. Forgot about this thread. Pretty good size doe.

Shot placement was dead through the heart. Looks low in the photo because the deer was standing halfway up a pretty big hill.

Attachments

• B866DDD9-09EC-468A-A07B-4B431DBD1DA1.jpg
      B866DDD9-09EC-468A-A07B-4B431DBD1DA1.jpg
      71.7 KB · Views: 185

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    First of the year. Forgot about this thread. Pretty good size doe.

Shot placement was dead through the heart. Looks low in the photo because the deer was standing halfway up a pretty big hill.

Congrats Bossman! That's a proper doe there! :thumbsup:

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Why not switch bullets for times when the perfect shot isn't available? I shoot core lokt and never had a problem with blood trails when I have to aim for center mass. If you reload try out some nosler partitions or a bonded soft point like fusions. Personally for meat savings I shoot em in the neck. They fall right over and no shoulders ruined.[/QUOTE

My family loves venison and I mainly shoot does for the meat.I hate wasted shoulders or picking through the blood shot parts.I bought some TTSX bullets and loaded them up because I heard you can eat up to the bullet hole......not true.They are very accurate and are adding up to dead deer.

I do handload and tried Partitions and Core Lokts and think there is too much blood shot waste.I have no problem waiting for a good angle when it comes to does.If a deer that I want isnt at the perfect angle,I know the TTSX will do the job.

I have shot a few deer in the neck and all but one hit the ground dead in its tracks.One struggled a bit and ran off before I could get another load in my blackpowder rifle.That one soured me on neck shots.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Congrats everybody. I'll add another. Took a coworker to one of my farms today. He is strictly a bow hunter. After seeing nothing in the morning I decided to go where nobody else ventures. I offered to let him borrow a rifle since he has none but he decided not to so he has his bow. I ended up killing a nice doe with the 6.8 at 3:00. Shot was hard quartered away and high. Didn't matter DRT. And he had 4 at 80 yards.. Should of took the gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      180.2 KB · Views: 185

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Congrats everybody. I'll add another. Took a coworker to one of my farms today. He is strictly a bow hunter. After seeing nothing in the morning I decided to go where nobody else ventures. I offered to let him borrow a rifle since he has none but he decided not to so he has his bow. I ended up killing a nice doe with the 6.8 at 3:00. Shot was hard quartered away and high. Didn't matter DRT.

Nice doe! What bullet are you shooting out of your 6.8?

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    Congrats to Bossman and Mike’s co-worker..... :thumbsup:
    Still tryin for my first of the yr.
    They just know...

Bow season I’ll go to 75-100 yards
    SG season I’ll go to 150-200 yards
    Little b@$+@ds....:mad54:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Congratulations to Bossman and M-3888. Bambi is taking a beating this year.

I guess one more pitcher won't hurt. She was the fourth deer in a line of five coming out of the woods. Thankfully I could scale her against two yearlings. She paused about 45 degrees behind me on my left side. 12 to 15 yard shot. Didn't drop any blood for 50 yards (thought it was total miss at first). And found her about 125 yards from where I shot her. Turning out to be a good season. Just need one to donate now.

Wishing continued success to, All.

IMG_7803.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom