• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twanger

DINO and NRA Life
    Mar 4, 2013
    Poolesville
    I saw in the news recently that a Houston, TX marine foiled a home invasion by shooting the perp climbing in the window with a single round of #8-1/2 bird shot.
    The perp took off and was not heard from again.
    Didn't show up at a local hospital.
    Kinda surprising, but there it is.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/h...-suspect-caught-climbing-into-window/29644194

So this has me seriously doubting the efficacy of light bird loads in a home defense situation.

My thoughts are to use something a little heavier with more punch, but something that will still not go through two layers of dry wall and kill an innocent person.

That brings me to something like a 3" mag with #4 shot, followed by more of the same.

Some people suggest starting with this as the first round, but following with 00-buck. I'm just worried that 00 buck will easily go through 2 layers of drywall.

What do you think?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I keep some "buck and ball" shells handy for home defense. Specifically Herter's multi-defense. They're a 2 3/4" shell containing some #1 buckshot with a big ass lead ball in front.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    You can punch your fist through two layers of drywall. Anything that is stopped by an interior wall is insufficient for a home invasion, unless you get lucky and the bad guy gets "deterred", either by the sound or the sting.

Your protection against overpenetration and innocent victims is your own situational awareness. If you need your ammo to compensate for your lack of awareness, you shouldn't be using a gun.

BTW, in case there's some confusion about the "spread" of shotguns, at home-invasion distances, even unchoked, the round doesn't have enough time to spread. You can verify this at the range. The "just shoot in the general direction" assertion is a myth...you have to aim to hit.

I agree that you have to practice accuracy with any firearm. The spread is way smaller that most think. . Try going to the range and start at 5 yards then go to10 and proceed until the spread is the width of your silhouette target. That will get you the effective range of the shot your using for in door self defense . Try the drill with various loads to find it's specific effective range for self defense.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Unfortunately bad guys are tougher than drywall, so any load worth shooting at a threat will also go through drywall. It's been discussed countless times, along with bird shot being for birds, just won't reliably stop a threat unless they run away as shown in the OP's story. Over-penetration is blown out of proportion in the vast majority of cases IMO, and there are few if any circumstances where you would want to handicap your defensive choices in fear of it. It does pay to know your target and what is beyond it, but you stand a good chance of throwing several rounds with most being clear misses. It's best to plan a place to dig in, and an area relatively safe to fire twards in advance, and use something effective and controllable, so you will probably have to fire fewer rounds.

Much safer IMO to send a slug or two than dump a mag of 22s or birdshot. In most instances where there are lots of people only a wall or two away, like an apartment, an AR in 5.56 with plain FMJ is preferable to most any shotgun or handgun load. Small fast bullets hit and break up soon after impact, they are effective when all that happens inside a badguy's chest, but the small fragments are relatively safe after going through a couple layers of drywall. For me in my house, I opt for managed recoil slugs or 7.62X39 from a long gun, or my CCW handgun if I can't get to one.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I'm of the opinion that in the OP's scenario the 8 1/2's worked great, the threat disappeared, no blood to clean up, not going to get arrested or sued, sounds like an ideal outcome.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I'm of the opinion that in the OP's scenario the 8 1/2's worked great, the threat disappeared, no blood to clean up, not going to get arrested or sued, sounds like an ideal outcome.

Totally agree. The idea of home defense is to eliminate the threat, not always to kill. Sounds like it was a perfect outcome.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Unfortunately bad guys are tougher than drywall, so any load worth shooting at a threat will also go through drywall. It's been discussed countless times, along with bird shot being for birds, just won't reliably stop a threat unless they run away as shown in the OP's story. Over-penetration is blown out of proportion in the vast majority of cases IMO, and there are few if any circumstances where you would want to handicap your defensive choices in fear of it. It does pay to know your target and what is beyond it, but you stand a good chance of throwing several rounds with most being clear misses. It's best to plan a place to dig in, and an area relatively safe to fire twards in advance, and use something effective and controllable, so you will probably have to fire fewer rounds.

Much safer IMO to send a slug or two than dump a mag of 22s or birdshot. In most instances where there are lots of people only a wall or two away, like an apartment, an AR in 5.56 with plain FMJ is preferable to most any shotgun or handgun load. Small fast bullets hit and break up soon after impact, they are effective when all that happens inside a badguy's chest, but the small fragments are relatively safe after going through a couple layers of drywall. For me in my house, I opt for managed recoil slugs or 7.62X39 from a long gun, or my CCW handgun if I can't get to one.

Yes it has; seems to come up regularly. However in this case, it seems to have ended the threat. Looking closely at the photos, it's really hard to tell if the perp was actually hit. The glass was broken by the perp, but the blinds don't look like they've been hit with much especially considering it was a 12 gauge. Either way, the perp was off and running after discharge of the weapon.

Fortunately it happened in Texas where the homeowner is generally safe. If it happened in Maryland, and the perp was injured or killed, the homeowner would be in jail. In Maryland perhaps it would be better that the perp wasn't killed and the threat neutralized just from the blast? Sometimes just the presence of a gun (or it's sound).......

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    From the article linked in the OP:

“Some people protect their homes. If you come by and want to rob, people that's what you get. He probably won’t come back, but if he does, we'll handle that then," Reynolds said.

I LIKE this guy.

Feb 28, 2013
    Totally agree. The idea of home defense is to eliminate the threat, not always to kill. Sounds like it was a perfect outcome.
    No one was killed needlessly, and hopefully some idiot learned a lesson about breaking into ONE house at least.:thumbsup:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yes it has; seems to come up regularly. However in this case, it seems to have ended the threat. Looking closely at the photos, it's really hard to tell if the perp was actually hit. The glass was broken by the perp, but the blinds don't look like they've been hit with much especially considering it was a 12 gauge. Either way, the perp was off and running after discharge of the weapon.

Fortunately it happened in Texas where the homeowner is generally safe. If it happened in Maryland, and the perp was injured or killed, the homeowner would be in jail. In Maryland perhaps it would be better that the perp wasn't killed and the threat neutralized just from the blast? Sometimes just the presence of a gun (or it's sound).......

Basically the saying, "Don't know what it will take to stop them, but I do know how hard I'm prepared to try";)

Judging by MD case law, probably not a lot to worry about provided it can be shown the criminal was in commission of a felony at the time of the shooting, and the homeowner lawyered up instead of second guessing themselves to the police right afterwards.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

12 Gauge

If you simply want to know the best defense load, go out and buy: 12 gauge, 2-3/4" shell, number 1, 0, or 00 buckshot. You shall live happily ever after, as this is the most effective man-stopping firearm cartridge yet devised by man. I recommend the Federal Classic, Winchester Super-X or Remington Express loads as the most useful buckshot defense rounds. Just one of these 00 rounds is almost like a nine-round burst from a submachine gun, with every round hitting.

Two things to keep in mind about birdshot. The first is that birdshot is as lethal as buckshot at very close range and ineffectual at long (shotgun) range, which are good reasons to avoid its use except in special circumstances. Don't believe for a second that you can just wound someone with birdshot and he'll go on to live another day. If you aren't justified in killing a man, you aren't justified in wounding him, either. Never shoot to wound.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    z-max

Just in case

86247-ZombieMax-00-Buck-250x136.jpg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Federal 00 buck with the flite control wad. It makes a softball sized hole in the target at about 12 yards. You may only get one shot, make it count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom