• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kbal731

May 28, 2017
    Hey guys,

Long time lurker here.

I currently live in VA and am looking to move to MD since I currently work there.

Before anyone says "don't move to Maryland, stay in Virginia", I tried this for a year and it didn't work. The commute has just been terrible. And seeing that I will be joining the military/starting medical school in Bethesda hopefully by fall (fingers crossed), my gf and I figured that it would be best to move now.

I have a few questions about the legality of my firearms. I'm a big collector in AK's and handguns. I've done some research but I haven't found any definitive answers.

Just recently acquired a Rifle Dynamics AK74 (RD501). I've seen that the Arsenal SLR104 is gtg, but does that apply to all AK74's or just that specific model. I've contacted Rifle Dynamics and they were unsure. I waited 15 months to receive it and had it less for a year. I'd hate to have to leave it behind with my parents.

Additionally have an AK74 that I acquired before 10/13. But how do I prove it was purchased before then? I don't have receipts anymore and I doubt by now my FFL would have a record of it.

Lastly, I have several handguns. I saw that the voluntary registration is required for residents who plan to establish residency, but I don't plan to. My father (ret Navy) told me that I can be stationed in MD but still retain my VA residency no problem. Also spoke with one of the guys at Engage and they said I wouldn't have to register as long as I keep my VA license. Thoughts?

Thanks for input in advance. Also does anyone know specifically who to contact at MSP in regards to the legality of particular firearms.

scjamesm

Nov 10, 2016
    Charles Town, WV
    Ak-74 isn't illegal in Maryland. You should be gtg, though I honestly would see if I could move to west virginia and take the train in as there is one that goes to from the Charles Town area to the DC metro area.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The actual ban list says "Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format" which would include AK-74 and clones (see here: http://wiki.marylandshallissue.org/...lated_Firearms#cite_note-MSP_Firearm_Search-2, or here: http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx)

Arsenal SLR104 is gtg because someone actually submitted it for review and it was determined not to have interchangeable parts with an AK. There are actually a few rifles like this, but only a few. Approval only applies to that model.

You also have to watch out for the OAL and feature test: cannot have detachable mag, folding stock, and flash hider (a suppressor = flash hider too for legal purposes, muzzle brake tho is not a flash hider). OAL >=29 inches.

It's hard to say about the Rifle Dynamics AK74 (RD501). With a flash hider and folding stock, definitely banned. Without a flash hider, and with a custom has block or other work, seems to me parts are likely not interchangeable with a "True AK-74", whatever the heck that is. If the guide rod/recoil spring, bolt, gas block, or some other part is not "True" AK, take off the flash hider, put on a muzzle brake, and gtg. Probably. Engage would be the best to ask about this. I don't know enough about that specific firearm to know whether the parts are interchangeable with other AK-74s.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you are entering the military, DO NOT MOVE TO MD NOW.

You can move later, and maintain your VA residency. Active duty military are not required to change their residency when moving on PCS orders.

You still will not be able to bring any banned firearms into the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom