• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Just take your time and go slow, you'll be fine, and if you do have any problems just post it here, chances are somebody has already encountered the same or a similar issue and will be glad to offer you some advice and assistance.

Thanks man, I found a gen 3 glock 19 complete slide online for $300, anything I should be looking to swap out on it? The spring looks dirty in spots but the rest of it looks pretty clean.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Thanks man, I found a gen 3 glock 19 complete slide online for $300, anything I should be looking to swap out on it? The spring looks dirty in spots but the rest of it looks pretty clean.

Well, that's a matter of personal preference to a certain extent, and when you say "spring" I assume you mean the recoil spring assembly. I usually ditch the factory one (which has a plastic guide rod) for a stainless one from NDZ Perfomance, they run about $20, but the factory one will work fine if you'd rather save the $20.

To expand on this subject a little, I usually swap out 3 stock springs on all my Glocks, whether they're factory guns or an 80% build. I substitute the following for the factory springs... 1) A 6lb. trigger spring (this goes on the trigger bar in the frame) 2) A 5 lb. striker spring. 3) A reduced power firing pin plunger spring, these last 2 go in your slide and are an easy swap. The striker spring can be a bit of a bear if you've never changed one, but there are a ton of Youtube videos that will guide you thru the process without putting an eye out. These are all available from Wolff Gunsprings (highly recommended) and are not expensive. The combination of these three will bring the average Glock trigger pull of around 7 to 7 1/2 lbs. down to about 4 1/2 to 5 lbs. You can also add an OEM "minus" connector to the trigger housing, available as a Glock factory part or from NDZ Performance (cheaper than the OEM part) for an even smoother pull. Opinions vary widely on this topic, and some people are perfectly happy with everything left bone stock. For my purposes (target shooting, sometimes competitively) I prefer something a little lighter and smoother than the stock factory setup.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The spring can be cleaned and oiled (to prevent rust/corrosion) and it should be fine. If it's a used slide, I'd have the barrel inspected by someone that knows what they are looking at/for, just to be sure it's not had a zillion rounds down it. Other than that, finish your receiver, get a parts kit for it and install the slide and enjoy it!

I approach it a little differently than Shoobedoo, I keep everything stock, spring-wise and merely polish the critical surfaces to a mirror finish and some of the other surfaces just for aesthetics and to make it easier to wipe them clean. I get a clean, though with a lot of stock, Glock pre-travel trigger that breaks at 5 to 5-1/2lbs. It works well for me and costs nothing but a little time before installing the parts. There are tons of options and upgrades out there and methods as well. Build it stock, shoot it and see what you think. ;)

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Wow! Have to thank everyone for identifying the spring issue. That was my problem! I banged it in the slot with a punch and some lite hammer taps. That's probably not the right way but it worked. The spring lost some tension but I bent it back and now it's working fine.

Racks like a champ now and I just need to break it in a bit. Can't wait to shoot it at the range!

Big thanks for all the advice. This was my first firearm build of any type and I really learned a lot. Even assembling the slide was new for me. Having MDS made this fun rather than stressful.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      74.3 KB · Views: 253

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    The spring can be cleaned and oiled (to prevent rust/corrosion) and it should be fine. If it's a used slide, I'd have the barrel inspected by someone that knows what they are looking at/for, just to be sure it's not had a zillion rounds down it. Other than that, finish your receiver, get a parts kit for it and install the slide and enjoy it!

I approach it a little differently than Shoobedoo, I keep everything stock, spring-wise and merely polish the critical surfaces to a mirror finish and some of the other surfaces just for aesthetics and to make it easier to wipe them clean. I get a clean, though with a lot of stock, Glock pre-travel trigger that breaks at 5 to 5-1/2lbs. It works well for me and costs nothing but a little time before installing the parts. There are tons of options and upgrades out there and methods as well. Build it stock, shoot it and see what you think. ;)

Yeah I have never owned a glock firearm so I'll just stick to oem parts if needed in the beginning. And hope it comes out well and runs strong/accurate as every glock guy has been drilling in my head for year's.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Wow! Have to thank everyone for identifying the spring issue. That was my problem! I banged it in the slot with a punch and some lite hammer taps. That's probably not the right way but it worked. The spring lost some tension but I bent it back and now it's working fine.

Racks like a champ now and I just need to break it in a bit. Can't wait to shoot it at the range!

Big thanks for all the advice. This was my first firearm build of any type and I really learned a lot. Even assembling the slide was new for me. Having MDS made this fun rather than stressful.

Thanks!!!

Hoping she runs great for you, It looks the par for sure.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Well, that's a matter of personal preference to a certain extent, and when you say "spring" I assume you mean the recoil spring assembly. I usually ditch the factory one (which has a plastic guide rod) for a stainless one from NDZ Perfomance, they run about $20, but the factory one will work fine if you'd rather save the $20.

To expand on this subject a little, I usually swap out 3 stock springs on all my Glocks, whether they're factory guns or an 80% build. I substitute the following for the factory springs... 1) A 6lb. trigger spring (this goes on the trigger bar in the frame) 2) A 5 lb. striker spring. 3) A reduced power firing pin plunger spring, these last 2 go in your slide and are an easy swap. The striker spring can be a bit of a bear if you've never changed one, but there are a ton of Youtube videos that will guide you thru the process without putting an eye out. These are all available from Wolff Gunsprings (highly recommended) and are not expensive. The combination of these three will bring the average Glock trigger pull of around 7 to 7 1/2 lbs. down to about 4 1/2 to 5 lbs. You can also add an OEM "minus" connector to the trigger housing, available as a Glock factory part or from NDZ Performance (cheaper than the OEM part) for an even smoother pull. Opinions vary widely on this topic, and some people are perfectly happy with everything left bone stock. For my purposes (target shooting, sometimes competitively) I prefer something a little lighter and smoother than the stock factory setup.

Yes the recoil spring, has some very black spots on it, I'll have to wait till it gets here to look inside the barrel but the outside of it didnt look ruined.

A used complete glock 19 slide for 300 isn't a too good to be true type of deal thing is it?

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Yes the recoil spring, has some very black spots on it, I'll have to wait till it gets here to look inside the barrel but the outside of it didnt look ruined.

A used complete glock 19 slide for 300 isn't a too good to be true type of deal thing is it?

Well that depends on it's condition, Where did you buy it..?? I got all my slides off Gunbroker and I would say $300 for a used G19 in decent condition is about average, or was anyway, prices have been shooting up lately as demand has increased, new G19 slides are running around $400 currently.

If you don't want to bother with a really grungy (and possibly worn out) recoil spring assembly, a brand new one runs about $10 with free shipping on Ebay.

Post some pics of your slide when it comes in, I would be curious to see what it looks like.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Well that depends on it's condition, Where did you buy it..?? I got all my slides off Gunbroker and I would say $300 for a used G19 in decent condition is about average, or was anyway, prices have been shooting up lately as demand has increased, new G19 slides are running around $400 currently.

If you don't want to bother with a really grungy (and possibly worn out) recoil spring assembly, a brand new one runs about $10 with free shipping on Ebay.

Post some pics of your slide when it comes in, I would be curious to see what it looks like.

Here's what im supposed to be receiving.

Attachments

• Bhh.jpg
      Bhh.jpg
      16.5 KB · Views: 202
    • $_1y ry.jpg
      $_1y ry.jpg
      22.9 KB · Views: 205
    • $_1y.jpg
      $_1y.jpg
      16.2 KB · Views: 204
    • T.jpg
      T.jpg
      24.2 KB · Views: 209

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Im not sure if the spring is that black or if theres a blsxk rod sending off the a blackish look because it's what the spring is riding on.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Here's what im supposed to be receiving.

If I'm not mistaken you got this off Gunbroker from Prevailing Arms, I've dealt with them before, I've actually spoken with the owner Justin on the phone a few times. His stuff is good to go, the slide and parts all look good to me, I think you are in good shape on this, and I would have to say you got a good deal. :thumbsup:

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    If I'm not mistaken you got this off Gunbroker from Prevailing Arms, I've dealt with them before, I've actually spoken with the owner Justin on the phone a few times. His stuff is good to go, the slide and parts all look good to me, I think you are in good shape on this, and I would have to say you got a good deal. :thumbsup:

Damn I love thi site bro. You guys are just so versatile with knowledge no matter what the weapon is.

I can honestly say mdshooters is the best gun group ive ever been a part of when it comes to knowledge and real experience in many firearms and how to fix.

Glad you giving it the thumbs up, im excited for my very first glock. If the first one goes well I can use my second back up frame for a glock 23 and see if the 40 is as snappy as many think and how it shoots in general

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    All the little pins and stuff thats coming with it as seen in.the last picture are what? Is that parts for the lower receiver? Because the lowers came with its own LPK.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    The frames do not come with a parts kit. Only what it takes to make the rails, and an integrated locking block

Ohhh your right I just read it more clearer, so its a good thing that the parts kit is coming with the upper, they do have some LPK kits for sale for cheap though brand new on a few website's, or shoukd I just stick with the used worn in kit for starts?

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    The parts pictured don't look bad IMHO for a basic stock gun you should be GTG with what you are receiving. But these things are kinda like legos and action figures of your youth. Want upgrades they are out there for just about every part (whether they do anything performance wise or are just cosmetic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom