• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I hope NRA's taking notes. Such antics cannot be permitted to stand.

Dec 31, 2012
    Unfortunately there are a lot of individuals like myself who made purchases early May before 8-day release became the norm. While I expect to be able to pick up my guns September 4-13th, individuals who hit 2nd review on a May 10th or later purchase may be SOL. And if MSP slows down even more, I may be borderline SOL myself.

That's why I said I hope more will begin 8 day legal release with extended hours. It is the only way many people will receive theirs before October.

Several places began working through their backlogs and releasing before MSP was done. I was 90+ days and still no MSP when my last was released.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I'd love for this to be the impetus for any dealers still not releasing on time to get their stock cleared.

That was going to be my comment.

I would bet some fence sitters are going to start to blow stuff out the door.

Liberal idiots, that opinion is just going to get more guns out even faster in my opinion, and that is a good thing. :thumbsup:

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    If this HQL requirement stands pretty much all handguns sold after 5/20/13, and that are stashed in stores waiting for an ND, will now have to wait also for an HQL. This will make the pathetic delays untenable, therefore easier to defeat in court. A judge needs to make Maryland FFL's the POC for handguns purchases TODAY. Can't someone, based on this letter alone, already go to court?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    That was going to be my comment.

I would bet some fence sitters are going to start to blow stuff out the door.

Liberal idiots, that opinion is just going to get more guns out even faster in my opinion, and that is a good thing. :thumbsup:

So Greg, we had this discussion last week...remember? Does this mean you will be making an announcement about your release policy?;)

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I hate to say "I told you so" but........... :sad20:

If there is any good to be seen in this, at least it's possible that this additional outrageous denial of accessibility to a constitutional right might be enough to tip the balance in favor of an injunction.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I hate to say "I told you so" but........... :sad20:

If there is any good to be seen in this, at least it's possible that this additional outrageous denial of accessibility to a constitutional right might be enough to tip the balance in favor of an injunction.

I think if an injunction was granted it would be so short lived to be almost meaningless.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I think if an injunction was granted it would be so short lived to be almost meaningless.

I don't think so. I actually think we have a very good chance for an injunction lasting several months. I don't think we have much hope of getting the law overturned in the courts in the long run, but an injunction for three to six months should be do-able. But that's just my opinion.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    with this , can the POS' then turn around to some one who buys a hand gun say in August from a on time release dealer their ND comes back in February that the MSP shows up at your door and says you need to turn it in since you don't have a HQL . Seems this is going to be a bigger mess than we imagine

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I don't think so. I actually think we have a very good chance for an injunction lasting several months. I don't think we have much hope of getting the law overturned in the courts in the long run, but an injunction for three to six months should be do-able. But that's just my opinion.

At least have an injunction in place until the HQL process is up and running. This will get interesting over the next month and a half. :sad20:

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The NRA (or any organization for that matter) isn't going to be able to do squat about these laws for a looong loooong loooooong time; if ever.

Let's at least wait until their upcoming law suit is lodged before declaring it a fail.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

The HQL will be hard to defeat; but if the HQL is used as a way to impose a total ban on handgun ownership, it should be easy to at least stay.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I was curious about that as well, but since I deal with FFL's which release on time I am no longer worried about it. I sent an email to MSP regarding necessity of the HQL for applications dating pre-October 1st. This is obviously not a definitive answer so take it with a grain of salt.

If I start the transfer process on a handgun (The paperwork is filed on August 01 of 2013 for example) and I am not able to take possession until November due to the backlog, will I be required to have a new handgun 'license' before taking the item home, or am I good to go without?

It's my understanding that you will be good.

Negative. If the handgun is not physically in you possession prior to 10/1, you will be required to get a HQL.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The HQL will be hard to defeat; but if the HQL is used as a way to impose a total ban on handgun ownership, it should be easy to at least stay.

Those are my thoughts exactly.

In a very practical sense an injunction is very much needed. A period of 4-6 months of being unable to sell almost any handguns will be financially devastating to many dealers. I am not a dealer but I do work in the industry, and I never realized just how hard it is to make a living as a storefront FFL until I started working with them.

Plus we're coming out of the perpetually worst time of the year for the retail firearms industry (June/July). Money is already tight for many dealers, people don't buy stuff at gun shops in June and especially in July. They are too busy paying for vacations and graduations. The Fall is when the industry makes up for the lack of cash flow over the summer. Couldn't be a worse time to take handgun sales away from dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom