• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Every-time I get near the trees wood ticks are flying around like crazy. Never seen them so bad before. What the hell is going on? Has it been it to wet? not enough bats or birds or what. Even spraying up isn't working, good lord. I was in VA and WV last week in some hay fields and didn't see one. Anybody else seeing the same thing elsewhere or maybe its just local to where I'm at. Its nearly like a sci-fi movie from the 50's.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Every-time I get near the trees wood ticks are flying around like crazy. Never seen them so bad before. What the hell is going on? Has it been it to wet? not enough bats or birds or what. Even spraying up isn't working, good lord. I was in VA and WV last week in some hay fields and didn't see one. Anybody else seeing the same thing elsewhere or maybe its just local to where I'm at. Its nearly like a sci-fi movie from the 50's.

Mild weather and excellent acorn crops have led to an explosion in the tick populations. When there are lots of acorns, the population of rats, squirrels and deer increase significantly. When those populations increase, the tick populations increase as those are their primary food sources. It's going to be a record year for Lyme disease as well.

teawhy

Mar 24, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    It's been bad here in SOMD as well, though I'm not sure it's 50s sci-fi bad. Our property line is the wood line so I find one or two on my dogs or clothes most days. Luckily caught all but a few before they bit. Not sure why they are so bad this year.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Maybe not quite so Sci-fy bad but its bad. Ive been bitten more by ticks in the last week or so than I can remember for the last 20 yrs. Temps have been mild for quite a long time without a hard freeze and above average temps for the winter and they have been relatively cool so far this summer. I never had been relatively concerned about Lyme disease but then the bites have been so frequent with everybody in the area there has to be some deer ticks in the mix as well. I only used to use spray to guard against chiggers and the product I'm using doesn't work so well against the ticks so I'm going to look at a different brand. Yesterday the neighbor was mowing the fence line and he was wearing a long smock to keep them off. I don't see as many purple martin houses around like I used to anymore either and not to many shore birds cleaning up either in the evening that I notice.

DentonDog

May 18, 2017
    Caroline Co, MD
    Ticks this year are the worst we've seen around here. Even after spraying yard and applying Off, we're still bring in ticks from the yard and woods. It's gotta be in part the cool winter and wet spring. And the "tick taxis" have been passing through the yard looking for tender flowers and bush branches.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    My oldest son just came by and wanted fuel for the back hoe. He's going to push some dead logs off in his woods, I said get some spray on and he laughed saying I don't get poison ivy, chiggers or bit by ticks to much. Wish I was still invincible to common sense. Watch him get bit by a snake lol.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I was in the Annapolis mall a few weeks ago. I went to use the restroom and saw a tick crawling from one stall to another. First time I've had to check myself for ticks for being indoors.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Harford County seems to be overrun by ticks too

As is Cecil. My wife found two of the nano deer ticks on my daughter last night. They are so small they look like a tiny black spot of dirt.

At my place if you walk outside you are almost certain to get a tick on you. And for those that say that ticks cannot be blown in the wind, feel free to drop by. I have a very large hill behind the house and they will frequently just land on your arm or upper clothing by being blown off of the brush on the hill.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Care for your dogs too. Make sure you use a very good flea and tick treatment. Dogs can also carry them into your house where you would least expect them to be found. They're just not outside anymore. They can be carried in on your clothing too.

Be careful. They are bad this year.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    My oldest son just came by and wanted fuel for the back hoe. He's going to push some dead logs off in his woods, I said get some spray on and he laughed saying I don't get poison ivy, chiggers or bit by ticks to much. Wish I was still invincible to common sense. Watch him get bit by a snake lol.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As is Cecil. My wife found two of the nano deer ticks on my daughter last night. They are so small they look like a tiny black spot of dirt.

At my place if you walk outside you are almost certain to get a tick on you. And for those that say that ticks cannot be blown in the wind, feel free to drop by. I have a very large hill behind the house and they will frequently just land on your arm or upper clothing by being blown off of the brush on the hill.

The nymph stage of the deer tick is a problem with being so small. About the size of a period or dot on your monitor, very easy to overlook and as such more likely to be on you longer.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The nymph stage of the deer tick is a problem with being so small. About the size of a period or dot on your monitor, very easy to overlook and as such more likely to be on you longer.
    Last year I had one under one of my toes. In that little recess where the toe meets the foot. Lucky I found it. I was with Lord Chad and naturally had my legs behind my ears and happened to look at it.

Only about 40% of people who get Lyme recall a tick bite.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I drove to VA the other day and found another one bit on to me. Ive been into the woods and lived there my whole life and never seen it so bad. So now I probably started a dog tick epidemic in Lexington.

A couple years back I visited a friend in Bloxom and had about 50 on me when I went inside. There were about 25 on my feet alone. Had shoes and socks on, they crawled thru the fabric of the socks.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Somebody told me today to use a lint brush to catch the ones on your clothing that you can see but I do not see myself doing that anytime soon. Ill just change my clothing and have the old girl nuke them with bleach in the wash, if that will kill them I don't know. Its a damn plague of ticks.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Mild weather and excellent acorn crops have led to an explosion in the tick populations. When there are lots of acorns, the population of rats, squirrels and deer increase significantly. When those populations increase, the tick populations increase as those are their primary food sources. It's going to be a record year for Lyme disease as well.
    This... it's bad this year for sure, both ticks and chiggers..

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Last year I had one under one of my toes. In that little recess where the toe meets the foot. Lucky I found it. I was with Lord Chad and naturally had my legs behind my ears and happened to look at it.

Only about 40% of people who get Lyme recall a tick bite.

I'm not positive.... but that sounded dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom