• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sure shoot me a pm, the barrel is yours. We can work it out.

I’ve shot bricks of the subsonic segmented HPs suppressed and find them accurate and effective.

I haven’t shot them for accuracy on paper, but they are squirrel head accurate within 50yds.

I’ve taken groundhogs and 1 rabid raccoon with them. The raccoon was moving a lot and I chased it into the woods to avoid killing it in the yard. I was firing on it as we ran. It took several body shots and then stopped when I put one in the skull after we got into the woods.

They aren’t as effective as HV ammo, but they are quiet and haven’t had anything run away after getting hit with one.

Not sure why the segmented HPs would make you nervous, they don’t come apart until after they impact something. They break into 4 parts; 3 smaller parts off the HP, and then the larger base of the bullet. That has been my experience anyway when finding them in squirrels, which I do make stew with.

Maybe more info than required, but there you go!

Nervous with the can. I am sure it is just butt covering, but AAC specifically says no “pre-fragmented projectiles” with their rimfire cans. I think what they are trying to say is if you get a baffle strike, prove it was our cans fault if you want warranty coverage. I’ve read a few guys who mention thousands of segmented subs through their cans with zero issues.

With segmented quiets I’ve dropped 4 ground hits and a racoon. The racoon took 3 hits before it was dead. 2, up a tree and the 3rd was to the neck and it dropped 30ft and thrashed for a minute. It was likely going to be dead pretty quick anyway. Checking it over I hadn’t hit anything vital before the neck shot. So that was as much on me. But it had a lot of holes.

The ground hogs one I caught with 4 rounds and it died right there. The other three were single hits only. First left a massive blood trail and made it under my shed. The other two left almost no blood trail and made it back to their holes and I never saw them again.

Which is no different than those critters with regular subs from what I’ve seen/heard.

The coon had 3 entrance holes and I counted only 2 exit holes. The recovered ground hog had 9 total holes in it. Couldn’t tell what was entrance and what was exit holes.

I figure a segmented round is likely to do more damage than any subsonic 22lr is going to on anything under 20lbs. Also the segmented makes me feel a little better like it’s less likely to ricochet and be as dangerous. I don’t take stupid shots, but that doesn’t mean a rock isn’t an inch under the dirt and causes the round to go skittering off towards a neighbors 100+yds away, possibly through woods (the relevant neighbors have okayed me taking care of problem animals).

All that said. CCI’s new polycoated subs look fairly inexpensive and that’s likely what I will be shooting through my can at the range when plinking with the can. Segmented subs I will leave for sighting in and varmints I’ve gotta take care of. Will burn through everything else without the can on. Burn through being a relative thing. I’ll likely still do most of my range shooting without the can. Would take velocitors if I was deliberately hunting Fox with my 10/22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom