Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM #2191
MSI Executive Member

MSI Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolAA View Post
I was reading that if you mount to the bumper it effects the effective transmission pattern.

I would like a 1/4 wave 19” antenna on the roof angled backwards about 45° would be reasonably effective. I could position it right in the middle rear of the roof. I cannot find any discussion to support or refute my idea. If it works it would only stick up 13” above the roof.
Really, not sure it really matters much. Your car doesn't sit still. It's on the road travelling in different directions with multiple terrain considerations. Also, you mostly communicate through repeaters. I wouldn't overthink it too much. I have had very good results with it on the back hatch.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
IDPA Safety Officer
Amateur Radio
Keystone70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM #2192
What fresh hell is this?

What fresh hell is this?

Quote:
I was reading that if you mount to the bumper it effects the effective transmission pattern.

I would like a 1/4 wave 19” antenna on the roof angled backwards about 45° would be reasonably effective. I could position it right in the middle rear of the roof. I cannot find any discussion to support or refute my idea. If it works it would only stick up 13” above the roof.
I've gotten some NiTinol antennas for HTs and like them.

https://signalstuff.com/antennas/

I was looking for a mobile version and couldn't seem to find one for the consumer market but did find a company that makes one for public service.

They aren't cheap, but the company says they'll replace it if it breaks.

http://sti-co.com/public-safety/flexi-whip/

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...f-ft-niti-6442

I haven't bought one yet, but like you, I frequently have to use garages and I have a spring-base center loaded antenna which takes a beating in some garages, especially those in downtown Annapolis.

When it fails or I get a new vehicle I'm going to get one of these.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM #2193

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
I've gotten some NiTinol antennas for HTs and like them.

https://signalstuff.com/antennas/

I was looking for a mobile version and couldn't seem to find one for the consumer market but did find a company that makes one for public service.

They aren't cheap, but the company says they'll replace it if it breaks.

http://sti-co.com/public-safety/flexi-whip/

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...f-ft-niti-6442

I haven't bought one yet, but like you, I frequently have to use garages and I have a spring-base center loaded antenna which takes a beating in some garages, especially those in downtown Annapolis.

When it fails or I get a new vehicle I'm going to get one of these.

Thats pretty cool and the cost may be worth it.

Their covert model looks exactly like what I was thinking.
http://sti-co.com/covert/
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:09 PM #2194

Question for you more experienced guys.

I got my homemade J-Pole antenna mounted up in my attic today at the peak of the roof. I got a really good shielded cable too.

So I’m picking up a lot of digital signals that were not evident with the little antennas that came with the RTL-SDR. So out of curiosity I started to try and find out what these signals are. Using the FCC database and Radio reference.com most of them are public and private trunk networks.

However I am getting a fairly strong periodic signal in Ellicott City on 152.1800 Mhz. I cannot find any registered license or transmitter info.

Shouldn’t all digital transmitters be FCC registered and easily found in the database?

Any other ideas on how to ID this transmitter?
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
Old Today, 08:19 PM #2195

At that frequency, probably multi use commercial or maybe a paging system....can you provide a screen shot of the signal?

"...beneath this mask there is more than flesh, beneath this mask there is idea...and idea is bullet proof"

"One thing is true of all governments: the most reliable records are tax records."

-V-
rpker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:30 PM #2196
MSI Executive Member

MSI Executive Member

Quote:

It would work fine on two meters. Most of them are just thin spring steel whips so really no need to bend it back, if it hits something it will just spring back in to place
mac1_131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:32 PM #2197
MSI Executive Member

MSI Executive Member

Quote:
Question for you more experienced guys.

I got my homemade J-Pole antenna mounted up in my attic today at the peak of the roof. I got a really good shielded cable too.

So I’m picking up a lot of digital signals that were not evident with the little antennas that came with the RTL-SDR. So out of curiosity I started to try and find out what these signals are. Using the FCC database and Radio reference.com most of them are public and private trunk networks.

However I am getting a fairly strong periodic signal in Ellicott City on 152.1800 Mhz. I cannot find any registered license or transmitter info.

Shouldn’t all digital transmitters be FCC registered and easily found in the database?

Any other ideas on how to ID this transmitter?
I think it's a paging transmitter frequency, might be on a Nationwide license so might be harder to search up
mac1_131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:50 PM #2198

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpker View Post
At that frequency, probably multi use commercial or maybe a paging system....can you provide a screen shot of the signal?

Here is a short video.

https://youtu.be/bKxq1POjXco

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland