Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 12th, 2019, 10:36 AM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docster View Post
Agree. I stopped going to FS when the hot doggers with girlfriends to impress started coming in. Cameras out, posing, all fun and games yet I caught grief for using one of those photograph targets of Osama Bin Laden AFTER he was dead because it may bother some people
Osama Bin Laden was a terrorist. If people got offended because his picture was being shot then I would call them sympathizers. I don't like to offend but it seems those offended in this case should take a hint - NOT HERE.
Old August 12th, 2019, 11:24 AM #12
Gata Needs His Gat

Gata Needs His Gat

If I know I'm just shooting handguns, I have started going to Continental. More lanes, clean and not as crowded. My last attempt at FS they told me it was a 3 plus hour wait. Time before was 2 plus hour. They saw the "wow" look on my face and suggested I could go get something to eat in the meantime, but not very possible with firearms in the vehicle. There are a lot of questionable characters that go now. Clueless individuals or groups to clarify.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
sleev-les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 11:41 AM #13
Me Myself & I

Me Myself & I

I stopped going to freestate in 2012 when I was filling out paperwork for an AR15 lower, pulled out my CCW card to fill in info on paperwork. Girl had a shitfit, saying I needed to disclose that I was armed, blah blah blah, I kind of looked at her while I was seated filling out my paperwork and said "its concealed and without me getting out my card to fill out paperwork you would have never known". Well long story short went back next week to a sign on the door that said "ONLY UNIFORMED OFFICERS MAY CARRY" I picked up my lower and left and never went back.

edit: its been a minute, but I used to walk into continental carrying a box of ammo, show my CCW and get a few targets and fill out paperwork and head to the back. They respected the fact that I am licensed to carry and went over I was not to draw-shoot and to only remove the firearm from holster once in my lane.
Bboarder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 11:43 AM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleev-les View Post
If I know I'm just shooting handguns, I have started going to Continental. More lanes, clean and not as crowded. My last attempt at FS they told me it was a 3 plus hour wait. Time before was 2 plus hour. They saw the "wow" look on my face and suggested I could go get something to eat in the meantime, but not very possible with firearms in the vehicle. There are a lot of questionable characters that go now. Clueless individuals or groups to clarify.
+1. Used to really enjoy Free State but long waits and the change in clientele have changed my opinion.

I've started going to Continental again. Have yet to wait for a lane and there is always a range officer keeping an eye on the idiots.
Vetted84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 12:17 PM #15

When I went to FS it was great.
This was before any wait times or riff raff issues. I would honestly laugh and leave us someone ever told me it was a 2-3 hour wait. Who has so little to do as to hang out for hours just to shoot?
Old August 12th, 2019, 01:11 PM #16
Gata Needs His Gat

Gata Needs His Gat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten View Post
When I went to FS it was great.
This was before any wait times or riff raff issues. I would honestly laugh and leave us someone ever told me it was a 2-3 hour wait. Who has so little to do as to hang out for hours just to shoot?
That was my issue with it. Only thing close is McDonalds or other fast food so that could kill 30 minutes, but that negates the fact I can't leave the firearms in the vehicle so you're held hostage. I was leaving Continental when I finally got a text saying a lane was open at FS. Plus the overall retail prices are so high it just makes it hard to go up there.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
sleev-les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 01:20 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expendables View Post
Iíve been a member since it was just a concrete building with a folding table to take credit card payments and at first it was a blessing to have somewhere so close to home with a friendly staff that always made their customers feel welcomed.

Unfortunately over the years it has gotten progressively worse. They seem to care about money over safety. I have seen them allow groups of questionable looking people shoot while they reek of marijuana. I have seen them allow people to rent ARs and AKs with no experience using them not to mention their pants hanging off their backside. There is never a staff member that is permanently assigned to monitor the shooters and at anytime someone could be lasering you with a weapon and you would have no idea.

Itís a real shame, because itís a beautiful range and I love going when itís not crowded. I have personally addressed my concerns with the managers and nothing really seems to change.

Hope you find a good place to shoot!
Free State's facility is top notch, but it gets very busy on the weekends. If I were to shoot there on the weekends, I'd try to get there right when they open at 10am. 11am and on, it is a zoo in there. Great to see the business flourishing, but just be mindful if you want to shoot there on weekends.

Staff has always been great to me and they are also a one-stop shop for anyone looking for their HQL or to purchase an NFA item. Fingerprinting and paperwork is done on site.
SkiPatrolDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 01:58 PM #18

I used to go to Free State and was even a member at one point. I stopped going for a number of reasons.

1) Their policies, namely no drawing from a holster and no concealed firearms on their property.

2) The ridiculous wait times.

3) The fact that they cater to criminals and make no effort to exclude them. They allow criminals to use their range with stolen firearms. Video from their CCTV system has been introduced as evidence in court showing murderers and other violent felons practicing at their facility. It's very obvious who these people are. If I owned a gun range there's no way in hell I would allow someone who looks like they stepped off the set of the movie "Colors" to enter my range with a beat up Bersa Thunder and some loose rounds in a shopping bag. I know several Police Officers who refuse to shoot at Free State because they don't want to practice with known felons in the next lane. It's only a matter of time before they have a murder occur on their property.

Personally, I have no use for Free State. I belong to a small club out of state and when I want to shoot I make the trip there.

"...recognise always that the test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, and not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them."
PO2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 03:12 PM #19

Staff are always nice at FS. The only issue is there is no cold air blowing out of the vent inside the range. Bring extra shirt if you are planning to shoot. The range is really on high temperature in the summer. Or wait until next month when the weather starts to cool down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 03:58 PM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO2012 View Post
I belong to a small club out of state and when I want to shoot I make the trip there.
This. Out of state ranges tend to wreck anything here. When I absolutely need to shoot in-state, I just go to Hap Baker on weekdays, and if I want to shoot indoors, I just make the drive to NRA Fairfax where the facilities are top-notch and I never have to worry about sharing the line with idiots or ne'er-do-wells.
Steve_Zissou is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting