• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wyoung369

May 20, 2017
    I apologize if this seems like a bit of a dumb question but, I've been wanting an AR 15 for a while and finally determined I have the means. And came to the conclusion that I liked the AR pistol in 300 blackout for its weight, portability, and impressive ballistics for such a short barrel. (not one of those delusionals who thinks it's suitable for long range shooting) but certainly good for home defense, range shooting, and some light hunting. Well, I have only been able to find conflicting information about the AR in MD. So simply, will it be legal for me to buy an ar lower on my 21st birthday and begin building an ar pistol? I also have some other questions about some components I would like to use and how they affect potential legality but, they seem moot until I have a better understanding of the general legality

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I apologize if this seems like a bit of a dumb question but, I've been wanting an AR 15 for a while and finally determined I have the means. And came to the conclusion that I liked the AR pistol in 300 blackout for its weight, portability, and impressive ballistics for such a short barrel. (not one of those delusionals who thinks it's suitable for long range shooting) but certainly good for home defense, range shooting, and some light hunting. Well, I have only been able to find conflicting information about the AR in MD. So simply, will it be legal for me to buy an ar lower on my 21st birthday and begin building an ar pistol? I also have some other questions about some components I would like to use and how they affect potential legality but, they seem moot until I have a better understanding of the general legality
    You can build it into pistol...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

wyoung369

May 20, 2017
    So then the receiver is still cash and carry? Everything I've been reading really got me confused then haha. So as far as the vfg. I was under the impression that it was legal with a oal that is > 26 inches my secondary concern with that is that I was also interested in a folding buffer tube and detachable barrel. Do these affect how the oal is measured. For example, if the length with a folding buffer tube is measured folded, then to me, it's not worth losing the vfg

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The receiver is not cash and carry. Because it can be built into a pistol, MSP considers it a regulated fifrearm. Therefore it's treated as a regulated purchase.

Last edited:

wyoung369

May 20, 2017
    I must have misunderstood the meaning of cash and carry then. By that I meant, I can still go to an ffl and buy one. Sorry about that. It's just like I said, everything I was able to find prior to this suggested that there was black magic and selling off your organs involved in getting ahold of one

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Cash and carry implies a purchase, a NICS check by the FFL and you go out the door.

A regulated firearm including a lower.,, requires a 77e, a 7 day wait for MSP and a 4473.

A lower can be built into either a pistol or an HBAR rifle. that's it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So then the receiver is still cash and carry? Everything I've been reading really got me confused then haha. So as far as the vfg. I was under the impression that it was legal with a oal that is > 26 inches my secondary concern with that is that I was also interested in a folding buffer tube and detachable barrel. Do these affect how the oal is measured. For example, if the length with a folding buffer tube is measured folded, then to me, it's not worth losing the vfg

AFAIK not C&C in 5.56 type AR lowers. I believe other AR lowers are C&C(.308, 9mm etc.).

OAL is measured with barrel attached and folder unfolded to shooting position so you will be fine. Just remember, if you want that folder on a rifle(post ban), you will not be able to have a muzzle device(flash hider) or grenade launcher. Some will say a brake is ok, I wouldn't risk it personally.

wyoung369

May 20, 2017
    And please anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but, everything I've read states that a pistol with a length of over 26 inches classifies it as other and non concealable therefore preventing it from being nfa with a vertical foregrip. I'm not trying to argue with anyone. Just simply learn as much as possible here

wyoung369

May 20, 2017
    And does having the muzzle device as well as the folder apply to the pistol as well? Possibly a dumb question but there is so much grey area in gun law

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And does having the muzzle device as well as the folder apply to the pistol as well? Possibly a dumb question but there is so much grey area in gun law

Folders on pistols are GTG because they are not "stocks" so they can not be "folding stocks".

wyoung369

May 20, 2017
    I can't seem to find a good link to the atf letter to Franklin armory but, it is about exactly that. A pistol they developed with an over 26 inch oal was not nfa because it made it classified as other. So, this means an ar pistol with an oal greater than 26 inches can have the folder, foregrip, and a muzzle device, yes?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, OAL greater than 26in is no longer a pistol, and VFG is ok . And the next likely line of inquiry , if no shoulder stock, no otherwise restrictions on bbl length .

To clarify, an AR-15 lower reciever ( stripped, complete, or inbetween) requires going through the Form 77R process, ie the hybred online process and waiting period, but does NOT require an HQL .

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    AR pistol

all of the above are good suggestions...

I myself don't suggest an AR pistol shorter than 10.5 inches, because of reliability issues...that in itself will set guys off, be prepared for a bunch of responses:D...

Oh, and buy a lot of ammo, they are fun to shoot.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    But the above configuration is legal? 26+ oal, folding buffer tube, vfg, and a muzzle device

Per MD and Fed law yes. I would skip the VFG/AFG as I find them useless and can control the recoil better without them.

ETA You MUST be over the age of 21 to purchase a "other" firearm per Federal law. This includes recievers and pistol grip shotguns.

wyoung369

May 20, 2017
    Per MD and Fed law yes. I would skip the VFG/AFG as I find them useless and can control the recoil better without them.

ETA You MUST be over the age of 21 to purchase a "other" firearm per Federal law. This includes recievers and pistol grip shotguns.

Thank you very much! This is precisely the answer I have been looking for. I appreciate the advice from everyone in this thread very greatly

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you are building a 300 BO pistol, barrel lengths shorter than 10.5 are ok, as the 300 BO cartridge will function ok in a 9 inch barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom