• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    :thumbsup: Born there, lived there as a kid, and I certainly love the state as a whole, but man the humidity and heat!! Would love to return, but I can't take the heat anymore.

Same here. The older I get, the less I can deal with that level of heat and humidity.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Give it up for BASED Jefferson County Sheriff, Mike Hale.

Police flood Alabama Capitol, ask lawmakers to keep concealed carry permit requirement
    http://abc3340.com/news/local/polic...rs-to-keep-concealed-carry-permit-requirement

Cook spoke on behalf of the Police Chief's Association, where he serves as vice president.

The police chiefs are political appointees. A county sheriff is not. I would bet that the majority of rank and file officers support the bill and constitutional carry.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As I have stated, the majority of Alabama Sheriffs don't even have a training requirement for CCW issuance.

So I guess safety isn't as important as the sheriffs and chiefs claim it to be..

This is just political posturing.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The police chiefs are political appointees. A county sheriff is not. I would bet that the majority of rank and file officers support the bill and constitutional carry.

Most of the sheriffs oppose the move.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In Al , Permits are issued at the county level, and each sheriff sets the fees .

10 or 12yr ago, this ended up putting Al into the thumbs up catagory, with every Sheriff Shall Issueing in practice, even before Shall Issue was codified in state law.

Now, we are most of the way through the 2010' s , and the 2A landscape has changed. Con Carry is a real thing, not an unobtainable pipedream of gun cranks and Constitution nerds. Meanwhile , the CCW revenue stream may seem modest in terms of Agency budgets around here, in rural Alabama, that's a meaningful chunk of an annual budget.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm all for absoloutist 2A , but I'll share an example of why some CLEO who legitimately consider themselves pro-2A want a veto capability. This isn't Ala, but a small rural state with long history of Shall Issue.

The particular individual at aprox 16yo exchanges shots with LE , and has 4hr barricaded standoff with State Police SWAT team. Gets convicted *as a juvenile* . The week he turns 21, he applies for CCW. ( This state doesn't have juvie offenders prohibited until 30 provision like Md.) His local Chief of Police turns him down, citing his tendencies to engage in gunfights with LE . This is only known disapproval in that part of the state within cumulative institutional memory.

JC92

Aug 1, 2012
    MD
    I'm all for absoloutist 2A , but I'll share an example of why some CLEO who legitimately consider themselves pro-2A want a veto capability. This isn't Ala, but a small rural state with long history of Shall Issue.

The particular individual at aprox 16yo exchanges shots with LE , and has 4hr barricaded standoff with State Police SWAT team. Gets convicted *as a juvenile* . The week he turns 21, he applies for CCW. ( This state doesn't have juvie offenders prohibited until 30 provision like Md.) His local Chief of Police turns him down, citing his tendencies to engage in gunfights with LE . This is only known disapproval in that part of the state within cumulative institutional memory.

I appreciate your story, but recognize that this example has no application to the argument at hand. For example, indulge the following story that replaces the CCW activity with another activity:

"Person A is denied the opportunity to open a bank account because Person A has a past conviction of robbing banks."

The presence of bank account has no relation to whether Person A will rob a bank.

Similarly, possession of a CCW permit has no bearing as to whether a person will decide to engage in a gun fight with LEO.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Looks like this is going to die: http://www.alreporter.com/2017/05/15/four-days-left-legislative-session/

This article shows how the fix was in: http://weldbham.com/blog/2017/05/17/death-alabama-gun-bill/#

History has shown that similar bills often land in that subcommittee, and Chamblee had worked to secure a vote with the chair, Rep. Allen Treadaway, who also serves as captain of the Birmingham Police Department East Precinct. That’s where the gun bill died.

In an internal email published by AL.com, Bobby Timmons, who has served as the executive director of the Alabama Sheriff’s Association since 1975, urged members to vote against any legislation that would reduce pistol permit funds. “NOW IS THE TIME TO TALK TO YOUR LEGISLATOR. DO NOT PUT IT OFF IF YOU VALUE YOUR PERMIT FUND,” Timmons wrote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom