• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I can only imagine the internal fight at WaPo over whether or not to publish that fact.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    But...but...it's different than guns, because we need to look in to the human conditions that drive people to drugs rather than blaming it on the tools and substances they use. I mean... with guns it's clearly the inanimate object and we shouldn't waste any efforts looking in to the human conditions driving people to violence.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Illegal drug trafficking is a double whammy, never mentioned, because it's also responsible for a substantial number of the shooting deaths and injuries among gangs and those fighting over distribution territory and bad deals. If we eliminated the drug problem, shootings would go down, too.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Now stop that! Will they ever admit firearms aren't the problem? Will they realize that the drug trade is what fuels violence. Violence that is usually performed with a stolen firearm.

It's their story and we're just characters. Unfortunately...

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Now stop that! Will they ever admit firearms aren't the problem? Will they realize that the drug trade is what fuels violence. Violence that is usually performed with a stolen firearm.

It's their story and we're just characters. Unfortunately...

They are the end users among the cultural elite, and they don't get down and dirty with the crime beat and drugs on the street. They have romantic notions of Freddy Gray.

They're the same people who think food comes from Whole Foods, and who want to shut down farms because they pollute the Bay and the air.

We need re-educatuon camps before it's too late. Send the academics and teachers (present company and their families excepted), first.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    These junkies need the new HQL.

Heroin Qualification License.

That will prevent heroin O.D.'S like the other HQL prevents gun violence and crime.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I used to try to help some recovering addicts through a church program.
    Everyone of them that I got to know had so many excuses why they got hooked and why it was so easy to give up and go back.
    Most admitted that fear of being busted or being busted kept them from going all the way and overdosing.
    I don't understand addictions and maybe that's why I stopped helping out. They all used the excuse of being labeled as addicts as reason to give up and start using.
    Well obviously being an addict was the reason for starting using.
    The ones that were clean still had way too many sketchy character traits for me to trust them. Some wanted to go shooting with me. That was never going to happen.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Hugs, not drugs.

heroin deaths are up?

gcg.jpg

Sympathy to those who lost family members, but 'trying heroin' is not like 'trying beer' IMO.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The only thing that will make an addict stop is the addict. They have to want it. This includes not just illegal drugs, but cigs, alcohol, chocolate, what ever. I took me a while to figure that out after watching people hit rock bottom or ending up on the wrong side of the grass.
    Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I ever did.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    And when you get the bleeding hearts that want to give out free needles, "safe" shoot-up rooms. It's a choice!!! Let's not glorify ODing! Parents need to be parenting and adults need to know better. Again, it's a personal choice (and I'm not talking about those few coming from the hospital hooked on pain meds). I'd rather spend my money on guns and ammo (and whiskey).

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    It's not just that Heroin deaths surpass firearms homicides, ALL opioid deaths all surpass ALL firearms deaths for last year. Honestly, that's pretty crazy.

Hugs, not drugs.

heroin deaths are up?

View attachment 192561

Sympathy to those who lost family members, but 'trying heroin' is not like 'trying beer' IMO.

If we were just talking about the "traditional" demographic for heroin use, I'd agree, but we're not. The reality is that the spike in deaths is a direct result of piss-poor regulation on the pharmaceutical industry's advertising and sales practices. Drugs like Oxycontin were touted as being "non-addictive" by Purdue Pharmaceuticals and other manufacturers despite no evidence to support those claims. As such, doctors prescribed it freely for pain management all through traditionally blue-collar areas for work related injuries (coal mining communities for example were hit disproportionately hard). Turns out (no surprise) that Purdue were full of crap with their claims and they had created millions of addicts who would likely have never thought to touch opiates in their lives otherwise. It's estimated that 11million people use oxycodone without a prescription in the US thanks to this. Now that the government has shut down the pill mills that used to basically be legal drug dealers in affected communities, and doctors have stopped prescribing Oxy for every little pain as they did in the past, Oxy addicts have started turning to heroin and other opiates/opiods to feed their addiction.

The crack head in Charles North, Cherry Hill, or Sandtown-Winchester that uses heroin? Yeah, they probably made poor decisions in their lives that lead them to that. But the folks in New England, Central Appalachia, and the Mid West who are dealing with opiate addiction? It's far more likely that they would never have touched the stuff until it was given to them as a "safe" painkiller.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Hugs, not drugs.

heroin deaths are up?

View attachment 192561

****Agreed. I knew someone in high school that got into it. He thought it would be cool to try it. IDIOT got hooked, made a metric ton of other bad decisions after getting hooked, and is DEAD now. Admittedly, he was really popular and cool in high school, while I was just in the computer club and couldn't get a date with any girl less than 2X my weight and covered in zits..

At least now I'm still not hooked to heroin, and can at least date real live women on the internets from the mad computer skills I learned in Computer Club. And, I'm heavier now as well so it's tougher to end up with women 2x my weight anymore!!! :lol2:

Yea, trying Heroin is not like trying a beer... :rolleyes:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Isnt the spike in overdoses linked to cutting the heroin with fentanyl?

A good portion of it is, among other factors. Back home, the cops and EMTs carry Narcan and use it pretty much non-stop. There was a point when Huntington, WV (Where Marshall University is located) had 26 overdose cases in less than 4 hours due to "bad batches."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom