• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I have a hankerin' for an Old Timey 1911. I looked (online) at the Auto Ordinace WWII offering:
    http://www.auto-ordnance.com/Firearms/Auto-Ordnance-1911PKZSEW.asp
    I really like that, while it doesn't have some of the external improvements (like decent sights, or the low ejection port) it does have a firing pin block for some newfangled functional safety.

Then I got to wondering if there were any WW1 options, without the A1 improvements and remembered reading that Turnbull was making something like that. I found it online, but the "call for pricing" most likely means I can't afford it. :sad20: Otherwise, it seems perfect: blued with crappy sights, no trigger relief so my fat finger won't fit right (which is good...cuz if I shot it, the hammer would bite me anyway...yup...just what I'm after :D )http://www.turnbullmfg.com/gun/turnbull-model-1911-wwi-replica-turnbull-manufacturing/

I learned that Colt made a run of their 1918 model some years ago, which would have been perfect...except they seem to cost more than originals :rolleyes:

I don't (think) I want an original. I want it as a range toy, and do not want the responsibility associated with being custodian to a collector's item...and I want it to be safe to shoot. Plus...while I'm not in a position to buy right now anyway, when I am, cost is definitely going to be a consideration.

Also, I'm pretty hung up on it being made in USA.

Thoughts, advice, experience with these models (or, even better, ones I don't know about)?

Thanks.

phinfanfrommd

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I have a hankerin' for an Old Timey 1911. I looked (online) at the Auto Ordinace WWII offering:
    http://www.auto-ordnance.com/Firearms/Auto-Ordnance-1911PKZSEW.asp
    I really like that, while it doesn't have some of the external improvements (like decent sights, or the low ejection port) it does have a firing pin block for some newfangled functional safety.

Then I got to wondering if there were any WW1 options, without the A1 improvements and remembered reading that Turnbull was making something like that. I found it online, but the "call for pricing" most likely means I can't afford it. :sad20: Otherwise, it seems perfect: blued with crappy sights, no trigger relief so my fat finger won't fit right (which is good...cuz if I shot it, the hammer would bite me anyway...yup...just what I'm after :D )http://www.turnbullmfg.com/gun/turnbull-model-1911-wwi-replica-turnbull-manufacturing/

I learned that Colt made a run of their 1918 model some years ago, which would have been perfect...except they seem to cost more than originals :rolleyes:

I don't (think) I want an original. I want it as a range toy, and do not want the responsibility associated with being custodian to a collector's item...and I want it to be safe to shoot. Plus...while I'm not in a position to buy right now anyway, when I am, cost is definitely going to be a consideration.

Also, I'm pretty hung up on it being made in USA.

Thoughts, advice, experience with these models (or, even better, ones I don't know about)?

Thanks.

I was able to pick up a Springfield 1911 Model GI several years back. It came in Black or OD Green. I got the black. It came with the wood 'US' grip. It retailed for even cheaper than this Auto Ordnance. The slide was a little rough out of the box, but after a couple hundred rounds, most of my friends would never have guessed what I paid for it. I don't think they offer this model anymore, which is too bad, but you still find dealers online selling them.

Good luck in your research.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Here's one I put together using a Stealth Arms 80% frame and parts from ebay.
    I like to show it off, proud of myself....

Attachments

• IMG_1359.jpg
      IMG_1359.jpg
      89.1 KB · Views: 425

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Keep 'm coming :D

I was able to pick up a Springfield 1911 Model GI several years back. It came in Black or OD Green. I got the black. It came with the wood 'US' grip. It retailed for even cheaper than this Auto Ordnance. The slide was a little rough out of the box, but after a couple hundred rounds, most of my friends would never have guessed what I paid for it. I don't think they offer this model anymore, which is too bad, but you still find dealers online selling them.

Good luck in your research.

I did not even think of Springfield. I'll keep my eyes out. New is preferable, but I'm not opposed to used.

A company called Taylors sells some pre A1 models. I think they're in Virginia but I don't know if the guns are imported.
    http://www.taylorsfirearms.com

I'm pretty sure they are all imports. I was able to come to terms with imported reproductions of American icons with my 1873 "Winchester" (which is a Taylor's :D)...mostly because there weren't any other options, but for this case...I just don't know. At some of my club's fun matches, this pistol is going to be partner to my Garand and/or M1917. Not being original is OK (neither rifle is 100% cherry anyway), but I don't know if I would feel right pairing up a foreigner with my patriots. Does that make me a racist? Well...I'm talking about legally buying a gun...that very fact makes me racist already, right.

How about Rock Island / Armscor ? Sure, they're made in the Phillipines, but they're Series 70, not 80. Price is right, too,

http://armscor.com/firearms/gi-series/

In addition to not being :patriot:, the Armscor just doesn't look right to me (for this application). It is neither blued nor parked. Don't get me wrong, if I was looking for my first 1911 (or just another 1911), it would definitely be a contendor. This one is a little more particular.

Here's one I put together using a Stealth Arms 80% frame and parts from ebay.
    I like to show it off, proud of myself....
    :party29: That is beautiful! Definitely worth showing off;) But...I don't want to go that route. I've already behind in way to many projects. When I scrape up the money for this and sign the bottom line, I want to be able to shoot it right away...well...a week later, that is:rolleyes:

MADE in USA is a good thing !!!!

:patriot: Absolutely.:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Flat mainspring housings, long triggers, wide hammer spurs, and tiny sights are easy. The hard part is frame without trigger relief is the hard part. You only have to squint a tiny bit if the rest is period correct.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Not hard to make a A1 look like a 1918 Black Army.

Main appearance issue is a flat mainspring housing vs the arched of the A1.

You could try to find a C&R battle rattle, old warhorse and give it a makeover and refinish.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Yeah, for an M1911 you pretty much have to go the Turnbull route, buy the real thing, or build your own (or pay a custom smith to build one). Even to build your own you're probably looking at around $1500 for parts from a place like Cylinder & Slide. An M1911 is a little tougher than an A1 because you'd need a frame without the scallops cut out behind the trigger, but Caspian does make it.

For an A1, I think Springfield got fairly close with the old USGI model (except for weird parts like the aluminum trigger), but those were Brazilian-made frames.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Sooo...I spent my gun money on a "1911" But it's kinda the antithesis of what I was looking for in this thread:o Not only does it have allll the improvements (and more!), it's not even the right caliber:rolleyes: Hey, at least it's the right manufacturer:innocent0
    When I save up my money again, I might revist this idea. I really like Colt's 1918 reintroduction...maybe they'll do it again? Yeah...probably just after I pony up the cash for one from the last run :rolleyes:
    coltcomp9.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom