• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Hey Folks - I've been a big Ruger revolver fan since I started shooting last year and I recently have caught the S&W bug. Kinda surprised actually as I tried a 627 pro model last year and didn't like it. Recently tried a 686 and I'm really smitten!

I like the feel of rubber grips but I prefer the look of wood. There seem to be so many more wood grip options for the S&W and I'm a bit overwhelmed. A safe first choice would be the Hogue wood grips as I have them on my GP100, but I absolutely love the look of the classic target style grips. I have a couple questions to ask you experts:

- In general, how do the classic target grips compare in feel, comfort, control etc compared to more modern grips?

- I would love to hear folk's experience with various target grips for the 686. The Altamonts certainly seem to have the lowest cost auction

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Per fresh experience (ie yesterday). The Uncle Mikes grips on my 64 accentuated the recoil of standard. 38 versus my mothers 13. Both K frame guns both 4" barrel.

They did seem to grab more efficiently as the 13 rotated and settled after recoil while the 64 had to conciously be lowered to reacquire the sights.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm a big fan of Altamont grips. Not as comfortable as the hogue rubber grips but definitely look a whole lot nicer.

DSC_0261_zpse87489aa.jpg

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I think that this is a really hard question to answer because a lot of fit is particular to your hands and how you hold the revolver. finger grooves? no finger grooves? Smooth? textured? Some people say rubber absorbs recoil better, but I have found the opposite. A good pair of wood grips that lets me grip that sucker way up high makes a 357 magnum feel like a 9mm, to me.

The Altamonts are nice and look very similar to stock 686+ wood grips on mine :D.

If it were me, I'd start with something I already know I like on the Ruger. If there is a better way to find a pair of grips other than try them... I have not found it, unfortunately.

MoeMurrda

Feb 19, 2016
    I recently aquired a bunch of grips to sell for a friend, I'll check and see tomorrow evening when I can go through them, and I'll see if there's anything you might like- I'd surely be able to beat most prices. I'll keep you updated

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    If you like a nice palm swell, you'll like Culina grips. The TruOil finish is surprisingly grippy for so much gloss. Lots of wood and shape choices and also medallions if you want them. I think he does checkering too now. If you email, they are very responsive with questions and all of that. Usually, his wife will return emails quickly.

The grips in my pic are made of Claro Walnut, if I remember correctly.

Edit: to answer your question more directly: I like the Culinas on my 6" Model 17, and I prefer the Ahrends on my 4" 686 - different uses. The Ahrends don't have much palm swell per se, but feel great. I use the Model 17 as a target gun, so the palm swell of the Culina grips helps in that regard.

Edit 2: The Culinas in the pic are the target model. Apparently he modeled them after some classic S&W "coke bottle" target grips from back in the day and added a touch more palm swell.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Great, thanks GoGoGadget!

If you like a nice palm swell, you'll like Culina grips. The TruOil finish is surprisingly grippy for so much gloss. Lots of wood and shape choices and also medallions if you want them. I think he does checkering too now. If you email, they are very responsive with questions and all of that. Usually, his wife will return emails quickly.

The grips in my pic are made of Claro Walnut, if I remember correctly.

Edit: to answer your question more directly: I like the Culinas on my 6" Model 17, and I prefer the Ahrends on my 4" 686 - different uses. The Ahrends don't have much palm swell per se, but feel great. I use the Model 17 as a target gun, so the palm swell of the Culina grips helps in that regard.

Edit 2: The Culinas in the pic are the target model. Apparently he modeled them after some classic S&W "coke bottle" target grips from back in the day and added a touch more palm swell.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Culina grips are great. They are focused on authentic repriductions of specific vintage grips, made from beatiful wood, and priced for serious S&W collectors.

This is a mixed result. Many of the vintage grips were indeed excellect grips for shooting. ( '50s- early '60s K Frame targets are the bomb, other than the "Football" not providing clearence for speedloaders.)

At a more reasonable price point, Eagle makes a grip that is reminiscent of the " Coke Bottle " grips, known to S&W collectors as " Cokes " . The Eagles are standard in Rosewood. Looks reasonably nice, but less $$$ than high grade Walnut .

Eagle also makes a cpl flavors of generic "Target Grips" , but most of them have the larger dimensions of '70s era Target Grips . Matter of personal preference. Of course back in the Revolver Era, it was common practice to sand them down to fit your hand in the desired manner. Origonal S&W grips are now too valuable for such things, but you can modify Eagles to your hearts content without giving a stroke to a S&W collector .

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I went through about 5 pairs of grips for my 686 and settled on Ahrends grips in Cocobolo. The fit is perfect, price reasonable, and they are awesome.

grips2.jpg

Damn those are sexy. Great, now I need to buy new grips for my 686.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    i had altamont boot grips on my 686 before i sold it. i dont know if it was the grips or the way i was gripping the gun but i'd end up with a blister on my thumb knuckle after a few rounds of .357

i'd buy them again though

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Yes, those Altamont boot grips look awfully small to me, and I only have average size hands. I've read on the S&W forum that these are designed for concealment (although I'm sure there are some people that shoot these on a regular basis), and since I will be using these as a range/home defense gun, size is not an issue. I'm looking into full size options.

I've ordered myself two grips:

- The Hogue wood top finger groove checkered K/L frame round butt grip - this will be the first time I've tried the top finger groove only Hogues, but I've often wished for something between the full finger grooves and no finger grooves on my GP100...we'll see how that works out.

- I also ordered a full size Altamont conversion target grip. At least from the pictures, these look like the full size classic target grips found on the S&W square butt revolvers. Does anyone know if these grips are the same ones that now appear on the S&W 586 classic?

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-586-4-barrel

Hopefully these will be good choices to start with

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Lots of interest in revolvers on the threads over the last few weeks. I didn't like the Hogue rubber/rounded butt grips so I went with these Ahrends conversions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom