• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChadThompson

Mortar Catcher
    Apr 18, 2016
    In a house.
    Is it permissible to run an 80% build at a competitive match?

What are some pros and cons?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Uspsa rules allow it in certain divisions. Limited and open. Or PCC.

There are better performing guns available commercially or from custom builders. That's the main con. That, and possibly holster availability.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah uspsa and idpa require complete guns in their production et al divisions. 80% is obviously just a lower. dumb rules but that's what they are.

that said at local matches i doubt you'd get much hassle.

one sort of way around it is with zev oz9. because that is a complete gun, and because you can generally swap out slides etc, you could buy a zev oz9 lower to get the better grip angle and stippling etc and put on a slide of your choice. of course those are serialized so you lose the 80% "loophole" but do get what most say are better grip angle etc.

if you're shooting 2 or 3 gun or outlaw steel, i haven't seen any rules that wouldn't allow 80% builds.

and as noted you can run them in ltd and open but you're going against 2011's with schweeeet triggers etc.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I have a 80% 2011 that I have run at some of the local 3 gun and outlaw steel events. I would say as long as it runs reliably you should be ok.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have a 80% 2011 that I have run at some of the local 3 gun and outlaw steel events. I would say as long as it runs reliably you should be ok.
    No one cared because SAOs only fit in divisions that allow 80%s.

There's two ways to approach this topic:
    1. "Local clubs don't really check gear against your specified division unless you're doing something stupid egregious, so do whatever you want."
    2. "It's a game with rules, you should follow the rules."

I'm in camp #2. If your game has equipment division rules, read and follow the damn rules. 80% builds are NOT legal in USPSA/SC CO and Production divisions, and IDPA SSP, full-stop. Most multi-gun rulesets don't seem to specify, but YMMV, etc.

That's the big con. You can't legally run 80%s in many of the popular divisions. (I've also had some pin walk on one or two of them under heavy firing schedules, but YMMV, etc.)

The pro is that some of the 80% frames are substantially better, ergonomically, than the factory frames. This is especially true when we're talking Polymer80 Glock frames. Incidentally, the PFS9 is on the production list now, so you could, in theory, buy a serialized PFS9 frame and build it out for something like CO (where the stock slide is not CO cut and thus can be replaced) using stock P80 lower parts. But you could not do the same with an 80% P80 frame, because you're the manufacturer in that case, and you're not on the production list. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom