• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    What came in fiber cans recently? I have not bought anything in fiber cans since the 70s. I still have a few fiber cans of powder. IMR came in a can like paint thinner can. I am thinking that Hodgdon already had plastic containers, I was buying H335 by the pound.

The 80s and 90s were round metal cans, at least for WW, which is most of what I shot (WW231 for pistol and WW748 for .308). Hodgdon was definitely round plastic by the 90s.

Above I said early 90’s Hercules/Alliant was still using fiber cans but I think it might have been the late 80’s. I started reloading shotgun around 1987.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    So what is your threshold for squibs? When will you determine the powder is past its useful life? Will you be back asking if it's still safe to use when you get to 1 in 100? Are you really looking for an answer as to when the powder should be condemned or seeking affirmation of a course you've already picked? Not trying to be an a-hole, but it's deteriorating. Dump it and move on.
    1 Squib every 200 - 300 rounds would condemn it in lot testing.
    When in doubt, pour it out.

First, thank you. Sometimes these things need to be said for the good of the community. You're not being an a-hole, you're being a teacher. If i didn't care, i wouldn't ask for feedback. Now that i think about it... i think I was really looking for for a confirmation of my course i'd already picked. Hadn't thought of it that way until you mentioned it.

I have decided to not use it in a pistol round at all because it's not safe and is much harder to clear a squib than it is to clear one from a shotgun. I dont shoot slugs, only 6-9 shot.

As for when i feel it's no longer useful... i would be at that point now... if i didn't have a shotgun. It's.. about $300 of powder that so far doesn't seem to present any DANGER as long as it's used in shotgun loads and i'm mindful of shot and wad clearing the barrel.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Powder breaks down and rots. If its bad, it should smell like rotton eggs. I too have thrown out unique. Because i only use 5gr for some stuff. And only 10gr for 44mag. so it take years to use up.

The big danger is getting a bullet stuck in the barrel, and then shooting another round behind. But shotgun, shouldn't be an issue. Especially for an over under or side by side.

It doesn't have a smell diffrent than any powder i have. maybe it's my sniffer but, it's not like the smell of a gas stove that lost it's pilot light or anything.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    So how are you velocities, and stanfard deviations ?

I haven't shot these thru a chronograph in fear of bustin it... again... perhaps i could step up closer and use a full choke or something but.. i dont want to bust my chrono.. again... hahaha

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    * If you have done the sniff, visual , etc * , my intuitive thought is that powder is fungible within it's container. There by all the powder would have the same potential issues , and failures to ignite properly would be frequent . Primers can be individually contaminated without effecting other primers .

To expand on the chrono refrence , I would load a test batch of pistol ammo , and chrono ( while being alert for hangfires and missfires .

If the powder was compromised to the result it was on the ragged edge of barely igniting , it would show up with possibly lower than expected vels , and definitely a major increase of velocity spread .

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    * If you have done the sniff, visual , etc * , my intuitive thought is that powder is fungible within it's container. There by all the powder would have the same potential issues , and failures to ignite properly would be frequent . Primers can be individually contaminated without effecting other primers .

To expand on the chrono refrence , I would load a test batch of pistol ammo , and chrono ( while being alert for hangfires and missfires .

If the powder was compromised to the result it was on the ragged edge of barely igniting , it would show up with possibly lower than expected vels , and definitely a major increase of velocity spread .

To clarify, you're saying to (with extreme caution) try loading some pistol rounds to check for SD and low speeds compared to manufacture's publications?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Particularly the velocity variations .

9 rounds consistent vels, 1 round not fire = look closely to primer .

9 rounds all large spreads, * somthing * is f'ed up all the time .

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    First, thank you. Sometimes these things need to be said for the good of the community. You're not being an a-hole, you're being a teacher. If i didn't care, i wouldn't ask for feedback. Now that i think about it... i think I was really looking for for a confirmation of my course i'd already picked. Hadn't thought of it that way until you mentioned it.

I have decided to not use it in a pistol round at all because it's not safe and is much harder to clear a squib than it is to clear one from a shotgun. I dont shoot slugs, only 6-9 shot.

As for when i feel it's no longer useful... i would be at that point now... if i didn't have a shotgun. It's.. about $300 of powder that so far doesn't seem to present any DANGER as long as it's used in shotgun loads and i'm mindful of shot and wad clearing the barrel.

$300 worth? Ooh. Painful decision.
    I'd probably stick to shotgun and be patient too. However, at 20 grains a load, it's gonna be with you a long, long, time. :party29:

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    $300 worth? Ooh. Painful decision.
    I'd probably stick to shotgun and be patient too. However, at 20 grains a load, it's gonna be with you a long, long, time. :party29:

ya.. i mean.. it was free to me but... ya.. $300 worth (give or take but who's counting @ that point).

Right now, i'm using a lee classic press or w/e.. single rounds. 100 rounds a night after work before dinner. 400-500 rounds of 12g a weekend. i share w/ a buddy that also knows the situation of the powder etc etc. and we "watch" each other for safety reasons.

I went thru 4lbs of the same powder (better batch).. loading 9mm and 45acp... that.. took a while but was easier w/ a progressive press HAHHAHA.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I believe it's SAAMI that has a checklist of signs of deteriorated powder, and probably also every powder mfg/ distributor .

That said , how old is old ? If nothing else the style of container will indicate the era . If stored under halfway decent conditions, powder will last a long time .

so i guess shouldn't the square metal can that still has the seal unbroken IMR 3031 1lb can I think the date is e 97ju4 19.00 dollars

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I know people who have shot powder that was manufactured for the First World War and stored in small brass containers with a lead stopper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom