• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Bought my first Revolver in 44 mag,i was intimidated since many complain of it being a hand cannon which it is but after hitting the range yesterday i am convinced it is a very fun and quite exhilarating round.

Single action is a must,i failed miserable at accuracy with double action.At 9 yards i was maintaining a nice square grouping non-stop.

I'm proud to have my very own Model 29-2 Smith&Wesson :D

Attachments

• 15437731235077718887328252432103.jpg
      15437731235077718887328252432103.jpg
      138.1 KB · Views: 941

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I love mine also, hence my screen name!!!

If you don’t reload start, if you do good on you.

Reloading, to me, makes it more fun

Also grab yourself a good lever gun in the same caliber and double your fun

And remember, full power all the time will take done of the fun out of it , reduced loads make for a great time!!

Congrats!!

Ymmv

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I love mine also, hence my screen name!!!

If you don’t reload start, if you do good on you.

Reloading, to me, makes it more fun

Also grab yourself a good lever gun in the same caliber and double your fun

And remember, full power all the time will take done of the fun out of it , reduced loads make for a great time!!

Congrats!!

Ymmv

Great advice all the way around.

Handloading really makes this cartridge much more affordable to shoot in volume, as well as providing numerous load options.

I purchased a lever action just this year to go along with my single and double action revolvers. I should have bought the lever years ago!

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    lookin good...
    yeah buddy they can be a handful if you
    one hand them, with a nice handload of
    2400 behind a 180gr / 240gr JHP. As one
    suggested reload for it, your hand / wrist
    will thank you. Cast some bullets, 255gr.
    "Keith" style SWC or heavier, mine loves
    the 255's nice load, can shoot all day long.
    "plinking load" load-em up or down..
    got some HP cast boolits mold coming

Enjoy...

-Rock

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Im fine with 240grain and shot 6 rds of The Jesse James JHP which was brutally awesome.Im no weightlifter but i can manage with one hand :) it's really not that bad as they glorify it to be

Just so you know, I thought blasting box after box of the hottest loads I could buy, before I reloaded, for years was way cool. And it was until my 44’s finally stung me bad enough that my right thumb was numb on day after shooting, then sore the next day. Fast forward 30+ years and those hot loads and a life of working with my hands has my right thumb so screwed up that there are days I can’t hold my babies much less shoot them.

So do yourself a favor and start reloading and find a great plinking load to have a lot of your fun with, and I have heard a shooting glove also helps.

Any way, enough of my whining, go have done fun!!!

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Just so you know, I thought blasting box after box of the hottest loads I could buy, before I reloaded, for years was way cool. And it was until my 44’s finally stung me bad enough that my right thumb was numb on day after shooting, then sore the next day. Fast forward 30+ years and those hot loads and a life of working with my hands has my right thumb so screwed up that there are days I can’t hold my babies much less shoot them.

So do yourself a favor and start reloading and find a great plinking load to have a lot of your fun with, and I have heard a shooting glove also helps.

Any way, enough of my whining, go have done fun!!!

Definitely considering of replacing the grips since they arent beefy enough and already have a bad review since they are very thin...i was thinking Rosewood?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Definitely considering of replacing the grips since they arent beefy enough and already have a bad review since they are very thin...i was thinking Rosewood?

My favorite 44’s are two ruger super blackhawks and I installed pacmyrm ( spl) larger recoil reducing grips, I am sure that’s not what they were called and my spelling is terrible, but it made shooting them much more pleasant with full power loads.

Of course keep you original grips and hardware.

And don’t get me wrong I still love blasting full power loads now and again and the 44 mag will take a deer down at decent rages for such , I really love mine.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Bought my first Revolver in 44 mag,i was intimidated since many complain of it being a hand cannon which it is but after hitting the range yesterday i am convinced it is a very fun and quite exhilarating round.

Single action is a must,i failed miserable at accuracy with double action.At 9 yards i was maintaining a nice square grouping non-stop.

The 4" 29 Classic is my favorite handgun to shoot!!! Such an underrated firearm!

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015

Were you shooting magnum? How was that? i'm thinking this would be my "bear" gun if I ever move to alaska

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a nickel 6 1/2" Model 29 that I absolutely love! I bought it when I was 19 and almost immediately started reloading for it, couldn't afford factory ammo!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    If you love .44 and don't re-load, you may want to start unless you're OK with paying thru the nose for factory loads.

I picked-up a Model 29-2 back in Spring and have only shot it twice because I haven't had time to set-up my reloading bench and can't abide paying $30-50 for a box of ammo.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    And you don’t need to go crazy to get into reloading, get a Lee single stage kit, a tumbler some brass and primers and powder and bullets and have at it

I also cast my own bullets for even more fun!

Try it!!

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Yes as I’ve stated before, I’m a sucker for most 44 mag guns! It was the caliber of my first handgun, a Ruger Redhawk back in the late 80’s and was quickly followed by a Ruger Super Redhawk. Both of those are gone but I got a replacement for the SRH and my current collection includes 2 riffles and 3 pistols. I don’t reload mainly because of space as I don’t have much it but I can see where that would be beneficial. I usually stock up on ammo at shows when I see it cheap, $25 a box of 50 rounds is about the best I’ve seen recently. A model 29 is on my want list but for now my 629 will do. That’s a nice revolver you have there so enjoy it!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah i bought a 629 way back. first couple times out, i thought it wasn't all that fun, big kick. but got the hogue rubber grips and told myself to embrace the power, and despite all the noise and kick etc, it wasn't really hurting me at all. since then i loved it, the total damage it did to milk jugs and soda cans filled up. sadly i sold most of my non-competition stuff a few years back, just wasn't getting used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom