• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I think you need to decide whether you want to take it to court (years) or get out of Maryland. The governments of both Maryland and California will never willingly allow you to exercise your rights, and that includes the courts in both states. Your time, and your dime.

If I was you I'd gtfo and go someplace with a government and a large percentage of the population that doesn't despise you. If not you'll spend the next ten years disenfranchised and in court trying to change a system which will probably just get game f*cked again by another batch of sh*tty legislators, judges and bureaucrats.

Maryland. It never fails to disappoint. Really sorry to hear you are getting rolled by your own government.

Some Guy is 100% correct. Do you want to fight the MD legislative element that has unlimited resources and nothing to lose?

I fought and still fight in DC. TBH I should have moved to the wonderful Commonwealth of Virginia.

I highly disagree. This is a case of a database having incorrect information about the OP and an attorney can easily get this fixed. This isn't much different than failing a background check because a felon has the same name and date of birth.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    I highly disagree. This is a case of a database having incorrect information about the OP and an attorney can easily get this fixed. This isn't much different than failing a background check because a felon has the same name and date of birth.

Fair enough. Consulting with an attorney who knows this subject and then deciding what's next is the way to go. Determine if it's worth staying and fighting, or going someplace else.

My opinion on all of this is based on my own perceptions of Maryland. I'm inclined towards pessimism. The government here is hostile to civil rights.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Fair enough. Consulting with an attorney who knows this subject and then deciding what's next is the way to go. Determine if it's worth staying and fighting, or going someplace else.

My opinion on all of this is based on my own perceptions of Maryland. I'm inclined towards pessimism. The government here is hostile to civil rights.

And to be clear, I am a layman with no substantial or technical knowledge of the regs or laws that govern all of this. Consulting with an attorney is the way to go.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Does that mandatory registration have to use the same form 77r which is used for both

1) transfer of ownership and

2) voluntary registration of a handgun already owned?

Those are two seperate legal actions which Maryland combines on the same form 77r.

The OP was carrying out a different legal action

3) Mandatory registration by a new resident.

Does #3 use the same form 77r? Someone earlier said that the form specifically says it is not to be used for mandatory registration by new residents.

I thought new resident registration was done entirely online, with no form submitted.

I don't know; I'm asking. Otherwise, my previous statement was a tautology. Voluntary registration is not mandatory.

Ciditad

Nov 27, 2019
    I guess I'll be the first to ask.

How did a "prohibited person" get a HQL?

That's my question too.

Whoever processed my HQL application (along with my fingerprints) obviously didn't see anything wrong with my application.

But the trooper processing my 77R felt otherwise, I guess.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    FSA 2013 at work . Again . This issue of Prohibited in Md , but not elsewhere , with most people unlikely to even be aware is one of my regular talking points .

I am not a Lawyer , but Ed Hershon is, schedule a consultation at your earliest opportunity .

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    This is either going to be a really easy or really difficult case. If it simply is about the MSP misinterpreting the max length of a similarly sounding MD law it will likely be really easy. If is not Hamilton v Pallozzi is going to make things really difficult.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    That's my question too.

Whoever processed my HQL application (along with my fingerprints) obviously didn't see anything wrong with my application.

But the trooper processing my 77R felt otherwise, I guess.

Somebody needs to lose a job and pension.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Voluntary registration is not required.

It is not voluntary for someone establishing residency in MD after 9/30/13

As for the voluntary, try to buy a handgun without "voluntarily" registering it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It is not voluntary for someone establishing residency in MD after 9/30/13

As for the voluntary, try to buy a handgun without "voluntarily" registering it.

I already addressed both of your points.

"Voluntary registration is not mandatory" is a tautology. New residents are subject to Mandatory registration.

None of my handguns are "registered." The Maryland State Police maintain a database with all my 77rs in it, though. It's the transfers which are registered, not the guns. Some of my guns are registered to several different people, and I man not even own all the guns whose transfers were registered to me.

When you buy or otherwise acquire a new handgun through a transfer of ownership, you are performing the same legal function as a Voluntary Registration of a handgun you already own. That is a different activity, and does not involve a transfer of ownership.

The Form 77r is used for two separate functions, as I said.

My question is, do new residents use the Form 77r for Mandatory Registration, which would be a third function?

Does that mandatory registration have to use the same form 77r which is used for both

1) transfer of ownership and

2) voluntary registration of a handgun already owned?

Those are two seperate legal actions which Maryland combines on the same form 77r.

The OP was carrying out a different legal action

3) Mandatory registration by a new resident.

Does #3 use the same form 77r? Someone earlier said that the form specifically says it is not to be used for mandatory registration by new residents.

I thought new resident registration was done entirely online, with no form submitted.

I don't know; I'm asking. Otherwise, my previous statement was a tautology. Voluntary registration is not mandatory.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    So... where might this mint P7M8 be sitting...?

LOL exactly my thought.

If you cant keep them for some reason (ideally hope you can). Let me know if selling the P7, been looking for a good one for awhile

Ciditad

Nov 27, 2019
    The P7M8 is at Cooter's in Forrest Hill along with all my other guns I owned. I have literally only shot it twice (no more than 100 rounds) since buying it in the mid 90s, that's akin to my Porsche 911 air cooled collection. Comes in the original case. PM me if you bought it, I may have the manual and other stuff somewhere in my house and if I find it I'll mail it to you. I had to take them to the FFL in a hurry so didn't really get a chance to gather everything, some stuff are still in moving boxes....

Sigh....

The P7M8 is at Cooter's in Forrest Hill along with all my other guns I owned. I have literally only shot it twice (no more than 100 rounds) since buying it in the mid 90s, that's akin to my Porsche 911 air cooled collection. Comes in the original case. PM me if you bought it, I may have the manual and other stuff somewhere in my house and if I find it I'll mail it to you. I had to take them to the FFL in a hurry so didn't really get a chance to gather everything, some stuff are still in moving boxes....

Sigh....

Hindsight 20/20 and I don't want to rub salt in your wound, but anyone who holds a HQL could have held them in safekeeping for you.

I'm not familiar with Cooter's, but if they're on the up and up, they would be willing to hold them for a fee and then transfer them back to you once this is cleared up. I would reach out and see if they would take $500 to hold on to your collection until the issue is rectified and you forfeit the money if you can't resolve the issue by xx/xx/xxxx

Ciditad

Nov 27, 2019
    Here's a list of what I gave up and currently at Cooter's.

Mint condition (all less than 200 rounds)
    HK P7M8
    Sig P220
    Sig P229 in 357Sig
    GSG MP5 replica 22LR (brand new never shot)
    SW 686 2.5" 357Mag
    Beretta Cougar 40SW
    Beretta 84F 380ACP

Good condition:
    Beretta 92F (500 rounds or so)
    Springfield XD Mod2 subcompact (personal favorite)
    Beretta very tiny thing that shoots 25ACP

I will go through my moving boxes and see if I can find the original boxes for some of these. PM me if you bought one without the box, I should still have it somewhere except the 25ACP.

Buying these will help me pay for my legal case as I plan to use the cash to try and restore my 2A rights. Guns I can buy back, my 2A right I need to fight for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom