• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    Anyone spotted them in MD? I saw one in Resisterstown in Baltimore county. Not too far from the reservoir.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I never seen one in MD but have seen them elsewhere where I used to live. Twice without a doubt. Never seen one that was trapped by anyone I know either. I faintly recall reading that they do spread out (20 miles or so) when maturity is reached.
    I would say they are around but not in great numbers.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The Fisher is in the weasel (mustelidae) family and not a cat at all. I saw one in Savage River State Forest near Fairview Church in the early 70s. Had no clue what it was at the time.

OP, you may have seen a mink, which are not always found in or near water, particularly the bulls.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Fisher are big, like a cross between a big weasel and a river otter. I bet weasels that I seen trout fishing in the mountains may have been actually pup fishers because they are known to be prevalent in that area.
    One I seen spotlighting at night, the other riding down the grade counting my buddies herd. When I got to 26 I knew something wasn't right. The newborn calves were in the barn because of the cold.
    It loped right out of the pasture and under the fence.
    It looked black but I really think they are more a dark chocolate muddy brown.

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    The Fisher is in the weasel (mustelidae) family and not a cat at all. I saw one in Savage River State Forest near Fairview Church in the early 70s. Had no clue what it was at the time.

OP, you may have seen a mink, which are not always found in or near water, particularly the bulls.

Yeah but everyone calls them fisher cats lol

It was definitely a fisher. I saw a mink near Jacksonville once. Always neat to see an animal you have never seen before.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Saw one in Garrett Co. once while deer hunting. There was two feet of snow on the ground. I watched it climb a tree after some squirrels. The squirrels carried on so that it backed back down the tree and trotted away giving an occasional glance over its shoulder.

Fishercat and polecat...zomby cat

Attachments

• fishercat.jpg
      fishercat.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 867
    • polecat.jpg
      polecat.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 900
    • zomby cat.jpg
      zomby cat.jpg
      38.4 KB · Views: 1,008

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    We caught 2 first night we ever set for them in Garrett Co.
    LOL, had never seen one before.

About 10 years ago..

Attachments

• DSCF0879-1.jpg
      DSCF0879-1.jpg
      103.1 KB · Views: 447

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member