• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Long story as short as I can make it...

I took a pretty good tumble today, and managed to save everything but my right hip, and my bins.

Had then almost 25 years... Minolta, 10x50, high-end basic at the time.

I don't need world class glasses, but I am wanting to get back to serious all-season birding.

I've been very happy with 10x50 all these years, but I suppose I could do with 10x42 in a pinch.

Durable, no zoom, waterproof a plus, and while I don't want to go cheap, I'm not looking to break the bank either.

Suggestions from the brain trust for a middle-middle solution??

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    My wife and I both have Vortex binoculars. Hers are nicer and I got her a chest harness for comfort of carry. Good solid glass for a reasonable price.

Sorry to hear about your tumble. Hope the hip heals quickly.

Mr H

Banana'd
    My wife and I both have Vortex binoculars. Hers are nicer and I got her a chest harness for comfort of carry. Good solid glass for a reasonable price.

Sorry to hear about your tumble. Hope the hip heals quickly.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

Was just looking on Optics Planet, and Vortex caught my eye. Hadn't heard of them before, so will check them out somehow.

Nikon appears to mirror a lot of the old Minolta line, and those I can likely check out at Bass Pro.

ETA... looks like BPS carries Vortex, and the Diamondback classic is now on the list to check out

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I was at the range today and one of the guys from my club had the Vortex Viper 8x42 binos. I like checking out others glass when I have the opportunity. They were pretty light and well made. Clarity was what you would expect from Vortex, which is really good.

If you have the opportunity to check them out at Bass Pro I would. Vortex also makes a Diamondback line which is a step below in optics but still good. I’ve owned several Viper rifle scopes and compared them side by side with crossfire models. Viper is better but Crossfire is still quite good.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Mine are the Canon 10X30 with image stabilization. With my shaky hands, I wouldn't get any without IS now. Highly recommend them.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The wife got me a pair of 8x42’s from eagle optics

Strikes I think they’re called

Supposed to be made in America and I can’t find made in China anywhere on them

And they have as good, maybe better, glass than my nikons

I am happy with them

Mr H

Banana'd
    The wife got me a pair of 8x42’s from eagle optics

Strikes I think they’re called

Supposed to be made in America and I can’t find made in China anywhere on them

And they have as good, maybe better, glass than my nikons

I am happy with them

OOPS!!

After over 30 years as a successful sport optics retailer, it became even more challenging to run a specialized business, and on 12/31/17, Eagle Optics is ceasing all business operations.

Looks like Vortex picked up their lines.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Vortex has some nice glass in various price ranges.
    Sorry about your tumble Mr. H.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The Vortex Diamondback 10x42 gen 1 was on sale in Dec. I bought a pair for about $115.

I used them at Blackwater Wildlife Refuge this weekend. Wow, they are great. I bought them for my wife but decided to take them instead of my 25 year old 10 x 50 binoculars. Wow, they are amazing

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Got a set of Bushnell 10x50 which are very good and a set of Pentax (made in Japan) 8x25 compact. Both are about 10 years old and good optics. New stuff seems to be made more with plastic frames and lenses.

Attachments

• 7843515D-1194-401E-A3E8-5D7612DFD171.jpg
      7843515D-1194-401E-A3E8-5D7612DFD171.jpg
      80.7 KB · Views: 117
    • 9C9B88B7-D1F9-4024-BBA9-E4F6EA407DBC.jpg
      9C9B88B7-D1F9-4024-BBA9-E4F6EA407DBC.jpg
      42.3 KB · Views: 122

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Glad you're OK, Mr H.

I'm surprised you favor 10x binos. I have trouble with the shakes with mine. I prefer my 6x24 and 8x30 trinovids. That said, there's some bargains out there time to time. You could pick up a nice new pair of 10x25 Leica binos for lowish 3 figures; the glass is terrific, and they focus down to about 15 feet. And they're pocket-size, carry 'em everywhere.

bmonast

Feb 1, 2011
    Gamber, MD
    Ergonomics count as well, not as much as glass but also a consideration in the selection process. We picked up Viper HD's, and like them very much, even over water.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Been 2 weeks, I'm still healing, but figured it was as good a day as any to grab my gift cards and head to Bass Pro.

The on-sale Nikon Monarch5 I wanted to try in 10x50 weren't in stock, so I tried the Vortex Diamondback and a pair of Cabela's.

Image quality and focusing were comparable, though close focus on the Vortex seemed a little tighter.

The Cabela's seemed lighter, and the eyepieces were easier to roll in and out. Diopter adjustment was looser as well. I decided these factors might just be a durability issue, so the extra $30 could be worth it for the Vortex.

So...

I get home, and decide to take another look at the Minoltas, away from the fog of the disaster... Two drops of Gorilla Glue, and they're just fine. Go figger.

But that's OK... I need back door bins, too. ;)

Thanks for all the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom