• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    Question for the more experienced whitetail whackers, do deer only run forward after being hit (in regards to bow shot)? I finally saw bucks in my backyard!!! From my deck I saw 2 bucks, but they were facing the street , probably came from the woods at the back of my property. So my question is, if they get hint while facing in the direction of my street, will they run back into the wood or straight into the street? My stands are located in the edge of the tree line and my backyard. I live on a quiet street and its unlikely they will get hit by cars, just more issue with them dying on a neighbor front yard in view of kids. So should I wait for them to turn around and face the woods to shot or do their instinct tell them to stay in wood and not go into open space? Would does and bucks react the same way? Thank you!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    You can never guess which way they will run.Some run straight ahead,some dog leg and some do a 180.Sometimes they run as if they are in a panic,some just walk away and drop over.That being said,they "probably" would head back in the woods.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    There is no way to say which way they will run. I also bow hunt in my backyard and for the most part they run back in the woods, but i have had a few awkward moments with the neighbors when deer die in their yard :rolleyes:

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I mostly agree with remrug. But I think they have a tendancy to want to "hide" I do prefer to wait until they are facing the woods instead of the neighbors and in those instances they did in fact run towards the woods. A couple times they were not and once once ran and died in neighbors yard.
    I suspect that the deer enter your yard out of those woods when the wind is blowing from your house to the woods, at least during daylight. If that is not the case yet I think it probably will be once you start shooting them. Fawns seem to have no figured that out yet either and sometimes ignore the wind as well. At night it seems less important as they seem to know they are not in danger.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I used to hear " they'll run to water" after getting shot but I've had some run uphill where there was no creek and I've had some turn and run downhill toward the creek. I think you just can't tell what they'll do after being hit.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Nope, they're in a panic after being shot. I've seen them run to cover, run across a field, run backwards or forwards.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Nope, they're in a panic after being shot. I've seen them run to cover, run across a field, run backwards or forwards.

Mostly this, but I will say that MOST deer I've shot run back to cover. I have one spot where the deer are almost always facing houses/yards when I shoot them (the topography makes it this way), and every one has ran back towards the trail/woods. Hopefully I haven't just jinxed myself :lol2:

I used to hear " they'll run to water" after getting shot but I've had some run uphill where there was no creek and I've had some turn and run downhill toward the creek. I think you just can't tell what they'll do after being hit.
    They go to water after a gut or liver shot, when they don't die quickly. Lung or heart shots they're only running for a few seconds, and are panicking.

I've had deer that didn't know they were shot also. They jump at the sound of the bow, and probably feel a little pinch, but they only walk a few steps and look around, then wobble and fall over. I like those retrieves :)

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I've had deer that didn't know they were shot also. They jump at the sound of the bow, and probably feel a little pinch, but they only walk a few steps and look around, then wobble and fall over. I like those retrieves :)

I did have a buck last year run about 50 yards and stop and made me think I missed but then a few seconds later he fell over, kicked a few times and was done.. But I have had several run 150-175 yards with lungs that are jelly and a big hole through their heart.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Sometimes they run like they are on fire, sometimes they barely react -walk away and fall over. They don't know they are dead they just react to the smack of the arrow.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    In my experience they always run to the deepest ravine on the farthest corner of my property. Usually when it's raining or snow covered..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    In my experience 75% try and make it back towards where they just came from, usually in a big arc. The rest bolt in the direction they are facing.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    One big buck I shot did several 100 yard zig zags. Crashing, getting up, running. Ended in a creek 40 yards from my stand. He was shot dead through the heart but still ran quite a ways.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    In my experience they always run to the deepest ravine on the farthest corner of my property. Usually when it's raining or snow covered..
    HAHA! The last doe I killed last year did that. There was no way to get any machinery (ATV, etc) in there to haul her either. I got a workout that day! The terrain was even too rough/steep for my sled to work well.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I don’t think there is a correct answer, regarding a specific direction relative to how they are facing when they are shot.

I think it depends on how they view the situation and which direction affords the best route for escape and safety.

If you’re in an area that’s developed, and small parcels, it could easily up on someone else’s property, your yard, or the road in front of your house. There is just no way of telling.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you dont want them to run:
    1-Get them while they are relaxed, head down and eating ideally. Let them relax before you thwack em.
    2-get a good shot. I've dropped deer where they stood with a bow. Can be done. If they are relaxed they may just look around and fall over. Or: break the leg or shoulder.

If you follow #1 and most importantly #2 they wont go far, usually you'll see or hear them crash.

Otherwise there is no way to predict. Learn to follow a blood trail.

If you're a good enough shot they drop where they are standing...yep, even with a bow...But there is no way to know...I am concerned a bit by your statement "you finally saw some bucks in your yard" first, you need to make sure it's legal to shoot in your yard, second you must abide by the distance from occupied buildings regulation and get your neighbors permission if they live within the exclusion zone and you have to get permission from the property owner if your deer happens to run into the yard of a neighbor and die....In general shooting deer in your yard is probably a bad idea since you have to jump through so many hoops...what would you do if you stuck one and it ran a fair distance and died in a yard with an anti hunter living there? I've been in that position and it sucks big time when they tell you no....

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    If you're a good enough shot they drop where they are standing...yep, even with a bow...But there is no way to know...I am concerned a bit by your statement "you finally saw some bucks in your yard" first, you need to make sure it's legal to shoot in your yard, second you must abide by the distance from occupied buildings regulation and get your neighbors permission if they live within the exclusion zone and you have to get permission from the property owner if your deer happens to run into the yard of a neighbor and die....In general shooting deer in your yard is probably a bad idea since you have to jump through so many hoops...what would you do if you stuck one and it ran a fair distance and died in a yard with an anti hunter living there? I've been in that position and it sucks big time when they tell you no....

Concern is understandable. I recently move to the area and I have been asking the neighbors their opinion. So far so good, they said it was ok for me to retrieved, the one on my right even said I can hunt on their land. I have done preparation for the upcoming season. This forum also been very helpful in educating me about what I should do and know. Members have been very patience in answering my random and spurred of the moments questions. One of the few place I really feel live to the motto 'there is no stupid questions, ask anything!'

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom