• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The question was if SCOTUS rules “shall issue” is the law of the land, can lower courts go and reinstate “may issue”. The answer is a simple “no”. You are way over-thinking this. Seriously. Unbunch your panties.

May I raise a question here that has nothing to do with a ruling from SCOTUS about the law of the land? So how do you know he has panties on to begin with???? :lol::innocent0

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The question was if SCOTUS rules “shall issue” is the law of the land, can lower courts go and reinstate “may issue”. The answer is a simple “no”. You are way over-thinking this. Seriously. Unbunch your panties. If you seem to be menstruating, make sure you didn't cut your labia on Occam's Razor.

He enjoys being argumentative and playing Devil's Advocate, even if it means bringing up a low probability, worst case scenario, outcome.

If MDS became nothing but a giant echo chamber, it'd be pretty boring, wouldn't it?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The question was if SCOTUS rules “shall issue” is the law of the land, can lower courts go and reinstate “may issue”. The answer is a simple “no”. You are way over-thinking this. Seriously. Unbunch your panties. If you seem to be menstruating, make sure you didn't cut your labia on Occam's Razor.

I am not sure why you have this fetish about me and panties. You might want to talk with someone about that.

The question was not about how the lower courts will rule if SCOTUS rules for "shall issue", it was about what happens to GVRed "shall issue" cases and whether the lower courts will still be able to ignore the updated rulings.

See post 48. There is no indication that the SCOTUS ruling that is talked about refers to a "shall issue" ruling. The question does quote a previous post (post 45) about what a GVR is and what it does. It implies that the ruling that is talked about refers to the ruling that SCOTUS wants reevaluated.

As stated previously (see posts 53 and 59) there are no 2A cases that they have accepted that directly addresses "shall issue" and it is entirely possible that it might never address "shall issue" directly. You never address that issue.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I am not sure why you have this fetish about me and panties. You might want to talk with someone about that.

The question was not about how the lower courts will rule if SCOTUS rules for "shall issue", it was about what happens to GVRed "shall issue" cases and whether the lower courts will still be able to ignore the updated rulings.

See post 48. There is no indication that the SCOTUS ruling that is talked about refers to a "shall issue" ruling. The question does quote a previous post (post 45) about what a GVR is and what it does. It implies that the ruling that is talked about refers to the ruling that SCOTUS wants reevaluated.

As stated previously (see posts 53 and 59) there are no 2A cases that they have accepted that directly addresses "shall issue" and it is entirely possible that it might never address "shall issue" directly. You never address that issue.

It my opinion yes they can and in the less freedom loving circuits there will still be some sort of 2A-2step, as most people say the ruling in this case will set some sort of scrutiny level for 2A cases. But the problem is that most of the "Judges" deciding these cases think they are deciding these cases with the proper level of scrutiny already. So until the SCOTUS explicitly says the unwashed masses have a right to carry in public, which I don't believe they take that case under the current make up, nothing really changes.

Just my $0.02 YMMV

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    via email:

SAF JOINS AMICUS BRIEF SUPPORTING CHALLENGE TO MARYLAND GUN LAW

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation has joined four other organizations in an amicus curiae brief to the U.S. Supreme Court supporting a challenge to Maryland’s restrictive gun control law requiring applicants for concealed carry permits to provide a “good and substantial reason” to exercise their right to bear arms.

SAF is joined by the Firearms Policy Coalition, Inc. (“FPC”), Firearms Policy Foundation, California Gun Rights Foundation and the Madison Society Foundation. Their brief is submitted to the high court by Sacramento attorney Joseph G.S. Greenlee.

The case is known as Malpasso v. Pallozzi. Plaintiffs are Brian Kirk Malpasso and the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association.

“This case could have far-reaching ramifications,” noted SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “At issue is Maryland’s restrictive requirement but the outcome, if the Court agrees to hear this case, could define the parameters of bearing arms outside the home, and that will impact restrictive laws in several states where carry permits or licenses are strictly regulated, which translates to nearly impossible to get.”

The amicus brief asks the high court to determine “to what extent the right to bear arms applies beyond the home,” because the question “has deeply divided lower courts.” The 27-page brief notes that the D.C. and Seventh Circuits held that the right applies just as strongly outside the home as inside the home, while the First and Second Circuits determined that the right likely applies outside the home, but in a weaker form. Meanwhile, the Third and Fourth Circuits declined to decide whether the right exists outside the home and the Ninth and Tenth Circuits held that the right to bear arms does not protect concealed carry.

“Clearly,” Gottlieb said, “the lower courts need definitive guidance on this important constitutional issue. What other constitutionally-enumerated fundamental right applies only within the confines of the home? It is time the high court takes up this issue to determine whether the Second Amendment vigorously protects a right, or allows states to treat it as a regulated privilege.”

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

If the Justices strike down NYC's signed permission slip to go to a gunsmith, I wonder how many 24hr gunsmiths will pop up offering to change Glock sights with no appointment needed.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    It my opinion yes they can and in the less freedom loving circuits there will still be some sort of 2A-2step, as most people say the ruling in this case will set some sort of scrutiny level for 2A cases. But the problem is that most of the "Judges" deciding these cases think they are deciding these cases with the proper level of scrutiny already. So until the SCOTUS explicitly says the unwashed masses have a right to carry in public, which I don't believe they take that case under the current make up, nothing really changes.

Just my $0.02 YMMV

They can't really "ignore" new precedent, but can try to weave their way around or try to get it to fit their narrative to rule the same way as before.
    So they'll definitely need to tread carefully, remember these case are essentially being vacated and remanded.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    One month until the NYC case is heard, 12-2-19, right? It will be interesting to see if the discussion plays out on lines in the past. Either way, it should set a tone. Hopefully pro 2a.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    One month until the NYC case is heard, 12-2-19, right? It will be interesting to see if the discussion plays out on lines in the past. Either way, it should set a tone. Hopefully pro 2a.

I hope that the lawyers on MDS will help interpret the discussion for those of us who know no legalese! Thanks in advance.

Cal68

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The good news is that the NYC case is pretty egregious. There's a saying, "Hard cases make for bad law." But the reverse is true, and that case should be an easy one.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I am raising the BS Flag here. :bs:One of the reasons why they want a 30 extension is so they can coordinate with the printer???? Geeee:sarcasm: are they to busy filing so many federal lawsuits against trump and all the printing they have to do for the fed lawsuits that they need to call a time out so they can print the reply for this one???? Im just shocked :shocked: I tell ya just shocked:shocked2::shocked4:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I think that the extension request is mostly pro-forma, and will be granted automatically. They could have probably put anything in there, or nothing at all, and still got an extension.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I am raising the BS Flag here. :bs:One of the reasons why they want a 30 extension is so they can coordinate with the printer???? Geeee:sarcasm: are they to busy filing so many federal lawsuits against trump and all the printing they have to do for the fed lawsuits that they need to call a time out so they can print the reply for this one???? Im just shocked :shocked: I tell ya just shocked:shocked2::shocked4:

Most federal courts do not have as rigorous printing requirements as SCOTUS. SCOTUS requires 40 bound copies in 6 1/8 x 9 1/4 booklet format. Most people/places are not set up to handle those requirements.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Most federal courts do not have as rigorous printing requirements as SCOTUS. SCOTUS requires 40 bound copies in 6 1/8 x 9 1/4 booklet format. Most people/places are not set up to handle those requirements.

Considering the time and taxpayer money Frosh has put into suing Trump, preparing amicus briefs to suppress our rights, and so on, I'd be surprised if his office wasn't already well set up to print in a SCOTUS-friendly format.

I'm prepared to believe that it's merely another delaying tactic. "Justice delayed is Justice denied" was apparently never mentioned in his law school paper training.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

"Dear Froshie-poo, just use crayons, nobody will believe your bickering anyway."

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

Googling "supreme court brief printers" gave me seven companies that explicitly state they print SC briefs to the required standard before the first nonsense result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom