Ghost towns, abandoned buildings, scenic areas.. Recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm spending the weekend in the Swanton, Oakland, McHenry area and am looking for any abandoned buildings, ghost towns, and scenic overlooks to get some nice racing/freestyle drone footage. Things I'm looking for: Mountain and cliff dives, gutted abandoned buildings, ghost towns, accessible towers, and dirt roads with lots of trees and little traffic. Anyone have any ideas?

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Just west of Kitzmiller, along the Potomac River frontage road, is a community of Shallmar. North of it, up the mountain, was a mining town that shut down some time ago. Talk to the locals before heading into it, since you would likely need to cross private land.

West of Deep Creek Lake and north of Oakland, the Park Rangers may help you find where Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, and Harvey Firestone camped in western Maryland at present day Swallow Falls State Park, from July 27 to July 31, 1921. Albert Einstein secretly vacationed at Deep Creek Lake for two weeks in September 1946; his picture is on the wall at the Turkey Neck Yacht Club.

North and east of Deep Creek Lake and south of Grantsville is the scene of the B-52 crash in January 1964; it went down during a severe snowstorm in Savage River State Forest with a nuke on board & some loss of life. New Germany State Park Rangers may provide directions to the memorial monument and have details.

Raina

Jun 12, 2012
    North Laurel, Maryland
    It's probably at least a 90 minute drive from the Deep Creek Area, but a very worthwhile and recommended detour.

The Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum.

http://trans-alleghenylunaticasylum.com/main/heritagetours.html

You might be able to check Yelp or Trip Advisor for photos.

Even though is is a "tourist attraction", you mentioned gutted abandoned buildings and they have left this property pretty much intact from the day it was abandoned. I enjoyed the historical tour that I took about three years ago. No, they don't allow drones. If that's not a dealbreaker, my recommendation stands. Fascinating place.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    45-70 had nice ideas. I'll add historic fire tower in Savage River State Forest as well as the Monroe run overlook.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Don't fly a drone over Mt Weather in that link! I am sure that would land you in a special kind of trouble. That site is still used and classified enough in some areas we are not allowed to see the building footprints of construction projects when bidding on jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom