• Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    opplanet-blackhawk-patrol-belt-pad-41pbt.jpg

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Nice post. I currently have a LBV. It's not super fast or very comfortable but its what I have. It seems to be alot better when not attached to a ALICE belt

I have a nice blackhawk gear belt someone gave me and I want to turn it into something like you showed pics of. The only this is I'm not 21 yet so I will be focusing more on AR mags instead of handgun mags. I was thinking it would be a quick "go" belt for lightweight work instead on the chest rig with 6 mags. What do you think? Thanks.

Oh and the only suggestion I have is to put some of those medical items in your BOK in a ziplock bag so you don't lose everything when you get shot at night and you need one item. that's just my opinion though.

Alright my man, I've been around the block a time or two and I'm not ashamed to ask a question when I don't know something. What the hell is a BOK and why would I want to put the medical items in a Ziploc when they are in a custom trauma kit that I am familiar with and is on my belt?

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Thanks for the write-up! Lots of good information to digest. Lots of people have mentioned bugging-out with a rig like this, but I was wondering how your set-up would work with a pack on your back? You're already wearing a padded belt and two sets of shoulder straps, so can you comfortably carry a BOB, too? Not trying to nitpick, just trying to figure out whether this set-up would be applicable during a bug-out, or whether it would be better used while patrolling.

Mickey,

I grew up wearing an LBE and humping a large Alice rucksack. The straps of the battle belt and chest rig are nothing compared to the LBE- they are extremely low profile. Additionally, the battle belt would be worn under armor (realeasable assault vest or plate carrier) and the chest rig over it. Rucks and assault packs are problematic with armor and there is only one system I would use with it - the Mystery Ranch BVS. That will be covered in the next thread I do regarding wilderness / hunting gear. Now what the hell is BOB? Also, what do you know about patrolling? Just curious as I was a Ranger instructor and know a little about patrolling all of which was done with rucksacks in the 80-120 pound range.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I've never used a chest rig before. Do those chest rigs cause any problems when shooting from the prone position?

T,

They could. The Mayflower rig is about as low profile as they get. I used their HK417 version (SR25 compatible) 7.62 rig with my LWRCI REPR at the Mayberry match and didn't even notice it in the prone. That is under stress, so YMMV. The 1000 Denier Cordura double stack rigs will be significantly bulkier and would probably cause issues for most in the prone.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    +1 I did by first training class w/a chest rig and found I was hot and overloaded all day. The second class, I wore a war belt and was much happier.

I bought the ATS and I'm very happy with it.

383305487.jpg

The only addition has been a Blue Force Medical pouch on the back where my gloves are hanging. I'll try to take some up-dated pics tonight.

Jamie

Jamie,

Get rid of that widow maker holster! LOL
    Are those Fast Mag pouches upside down?

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008

Russ,
    I'd you are set on keeping that belt, ATS has basic suspenders for $14.95. Go to LA Police Gear's site. They have coyote brown parachute cord on sale in 100 ft lengths. You can tie the 550 cord off on the MOLLE webbing after threading it through the suspenders or get a grommet kit if you want to be really high speed.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Trust me, turn those pouches right side up and move them around until they don't dig in. That is just a bad idea. If moving them doesn't work, try something else.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Alright my man, I've been around the block a time or two and I'm not ashamed to ask a question when I don't know something. What the hell is a BOK and why would I want to put the medical items in a Ziploc when they are in a custom trauma kit that I am familiar with and is on my belt?

BOK is Blow Out Kit also know as IFAK or Individual First Aid Kit. As for the other question, its so you don't go to pull out an israeli dressings and no you have spilled everything else out on the ground. I like a few things I immediately need at the ready outside of any bag, and a few things I don't immediately need in the bag (like airway adjuncts, which I won't be using on myself anyway...). It's no big deal or anything. Maybe I just have an obsession with ziplock bags. :o

Anyways, I'm new to all of this tactical shooting. I currently have one of the LBV's as my go to set up, and an ALICE belt to attach it to if I want (but that makes it bulkier).

I have a nice blackhawk gear belt (similar or identical to the one someone posted a pic of in this thread) and I want to get this as a setup for lightweight and low-profile. I don't own a handgun (not yet 21), though I suppose I can legally always use one under supervision for training or SHTF, so I want the main focus of it to be for my AR-15.

What do you recommend as far as what pouches to get? Also, how many AR mags do you think I can comfortable carry (don't need alot, but maybe more than 2 that most people have on their belts).

Thanks. :thumbsup:

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Great write up, and thanks. :thumbsup: It is good reading about the concepts.

After going through the chest-rig phase for a class back in 2007, and finding almost zero use for the chest-rig afterward, I started putting mag pouches, etc., right on my instructor belt. Taking items on/off got old, and I noticed the battle belt was making a comeback after (I guess) people had more experience during the chest-rig phase when belts were considered "obsolete." So I, too, reconsidered the belt concept.

After eyeballing what I saw some instructors were wearing, and reading up a lot on the internets, and most importantly checking the budget :eek: , I went with a Bianchi reinforced duty belt and Eagle belt pad (total cost ~$35-40 off ebay). It has my so-called minimum load out: 2-mag pistol mag pouch, 2-mag rifle pouch (can cinch down to 1-mag if needed), dump pouch, and holster. As the opportunity arises I plan on getting a first aid kit and flashlight pouch on there, and maybe a knife like I saw those high-speed instructor types had on their belts. So far the light load on the belt doesn't seem to make it creep downwards, and the pad makes the belt way more comfortable than the deuce gear duty belt from back in the day.

The high-speed instructor types explained that the unarmored chest rig's role can also be as a backfill support for the belt. You carry heavier stuff like loaded mags on the chest rig and replenish the belt as needed.

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    +1 I did by first training class w/a chest rig and found I was hot and overloaded all day. The second class, I wore a war belt and was much happier.

I bought the ATS and I'm very happy with it.

383305487.jpg

The only addition has been a Blue Force Medical pouch on the back where my gloves are hanging. I'll try to take some up-dated pics tonight.

Jamie

Who makes the suspenders/harness??
    Looks like it would work great with a molle hydro carrier.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Russ,
    I'd you are set on keeping that belt, ATS has basic suspenders for $14.95. Go to LA Police Gear's site. They have coyote brown parachute cord on sale in 100 ft lengths. You can tie the 550 cord off on the MOLLE webbing after threading it through the suspenders or get a grommet kit if you want to be really high speed.

This isn't really my go to belt but the one I run for 3-gun. It's simple and surprisingly holds my molle based pistol holster exactly where I want it for competition use. It's also simpler to snap on and off than a 2-peice. I realize it's not something I'd trust my life to in a SHTF scenerio but it works well for 3-gun, besides the suspender issue. Also being a man of some girth, it is very comfortable

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    BOK is Blow Out Kit also know as IFAK or Individual First Aid Kit. As for the other question, its so you don't go to pull out an israeli dressings and no you have spilled everything else out on the ground. I like a few things I immediately need at the ready outside of any bag, and a few things I don't immediately need in the bag (like airway adjuncts, which I won't be using on myself anyway...). It's no big deal or anything. Maybe I just have an obsession with ziplock bags. :o

Anyways, I'm new to all of this tactical shooting. I currently have one of the LBV's as my go to set up, and an ALICE belt to attach it to if I want (but that makes it bulkier).

I have a nice blackhawk gear belt (similar or identical to the one someone posted a pic of in this thread) and I want to get this as a setup for lightweight and low-profile. I don't own a handgun (not yet 21), though I suppose I can legally always use one under supervision for training or SHTF, so I want the main focus of it to be for my AR-15.

What do you recommend as far as what pouches to get? Also, how many AR mags do you think I can comfortable carry (don't need alot, but maybe more than 2 that most people have on their belts).

Thanks. :thumbsup:

I have the blackhawk belt in the picture if you are interested in how I set it up for 3-gun. It's more for competition use than real SHTF however.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Great write up Kev...

This is what I went with and It works very well for me.

Ice Tactical Battle Belt
    Specter Gear ( Inner Belt ) Tactical Operations Belt
    2- High Speed Gear Taco's Modular Rifle Mag Pouch
    Tactical Tailor Magna Mag Double Pistol pouch
    Maxpedition MAX-FR1 - Medical Pouch ( GSW )
    Maxpedition Rollypoly Folding Dump Pouch
    BladeTech Dropped & Offset w/Tek-Loc Holster for M&P 9 Pro

TrainingGear001.jpg

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    Jamie,

Thanks for the info. Condor, that's surprising.

How much use and abuse have you put to it?

Thanks,

Alex

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Jamie,

Thanks for the info. Condor, that's surprising.

How much use and abuse have you put to it?

Thanks,

Alex

I've used it in 2 training classes. Still looks brand new, no loose seams, no wear of the webbing.

I know Condor is considered "Air Soft" stuff, but these are freakin' suspenders. How much abuse are they gonna' take? ;)

Jamie

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    I've used it in 2 training classes. Still looks brand new, no loose seams, no wear of the webbing.

I know Condor is considered "Air Soft" stuff, but these are freakin' suspenders. How much abuse are they gonna' take? ;)

Jamie

Good point!

I'm running the same ATS belt rig and been looking for a way to incorporate a hydro carrier into some suspension system. Looks like what your running would allow for the larger carriers with molle to be attached at back of harness/suspender and padded belt webbing.

Thanks again for the info. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom