• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    My home in Parkville should be on the market next week, and we're actively looking for a place in Carroll. Closer to 70 the better, east of Mt. Airy. Ideally we're looking for a little land and some privacy for under 500k, but the pickings are slim. Anyway, anything I should know about the area in general or things to be on the lookout for? Not really interested in a cookie-cutter developed community, but eventually we may need to settle.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    My home in Parkville should be on the market next week, and we're actively looking for a place in Carroll. Closer to 70 the better, east of Mt. Airy. Ideally we're looking for a little land and some privacy for under 500k, but the pickings are slim. Anyway, anything I should know about the area in general or things to be on the lookout for? Not really interested in a cookie-cutter developed community, but eventually we may need to settle.

Where's your house in Parkville? I have a couple of buyers looking in that area.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    We have some friends looking to upgrade their home size, but they want to stay in this area. They are complaining that there isn't much to look at. My brother has been looking in this area too and he was complaining about it. Guess it is a good thing. People are not willing to leave the area, and those that are selling are still staying in this area. We are in Howard County, right at route 32 and I-70. Good luck with your search OP.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    The area is very popular, good houses don't last long. a rehab house on 1 acre across the street from me was listed at 499k and sold in 3 days. Get a good Carroll County realtor to keep you up to date on all new listings.
    It's worth the hunt for a house in Carroll, we have been very happy in Sykesville.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    We're in the same boat here...Living in Eldersburg, and looking to 'upgrade'. We want to stay not only in CC, but also in pretty much the same schools...Pickings are *very* slim, and the under $500 stuff goes real fast.

Competition is tight. It seems that once you get settled in here, it's hard to move.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I saw two houses that were perfect sell in a day. It's crazy. We may end up moving in with my parents of the right house doesn't come along in our time-frame, because I really want to be out of my Parkville house while the getting is good.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    I saw two houses that were perfect sell in a day. It's crazy. We may end up moving in with my parents of the right house doesn't come along in our time-frame, because I really want to be out of my Parkville house while the getting is good.
    I'm near Taylorsville. Things move quick. There are units for sale, but not for long. I say your 500k will get you a 4-br on 1 acre...depending on amenities.

Are you using something like zillow.com? They have a great map base browser for home shopping. Also hooking with a good agent. Tell your agent exactly what you want, and don't waste your time with anything else.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    We're in the same boat here...Living in Eldersburg, and looking to 'upgrade'. We want to stay not only in CC, but also in pretty much the same schools...Pickings are *very* slim, and the under $500 stuff goes real fast.

Competition is tight. It seems that once you get settled in here, it's hard to move.

That schools are my only issue with Carroll versus Howard. Otherwise, I would pick Carroll over Howard. Well, that and the money connections here in western Howard.

I am looking at buying rental properties and a farm right now, and Carroll is where I am buying the rental properties for sure. Debating between Carroll, just north of Carroll in PA, and the Eastern Shore for a farm. Saw a nice piece of property last night just east of where CnC lives. Berlin is just too far of a drive to hunt and shoot on a regular basis.

If it wasn't for the schools, I would say that my wife and I made a mistake buying in Howard County and we should have bought in Carroll. The other issue with Carroll is that unless you are right next to the southern county line, getting to an interstate isn't easy. Granted, a lot less traffic in Carroll.

Of course, in 20 years Carroll is going to be like western Howard County and western Howard County is going to be like Montgomery County is now. Hoping I am wrong, but time will tell.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

fyi - my wife and I spent a little over 3 years looking for a house in Howard County. Started looking in September 2007 and finally closed on a place in February 2011.

As far as housing costs are concerned, I think they are getting a little too hot right now. Money is getting too easy and prices are going up way too quickly. Guess it does not matter as much if you are going to be in a place for quite a while.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Good luck. I'm kind of shocked how fast our home in Overlea sold. Listed beginning of March and we're closing June 1. So good luck on that part. :D
    I know zilch about CC though. :whack:

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Good Luck

We moved from Mt.Airy 23 years ago to Woodbine and have never regretted it. When our kids were in school South Carroll HS was a blue ribbon school. It rocked. I'm sure it will meet your needs still. Doubt they will allow mixed restrooms but you never know.
    I have chickens, dogs, shoot ground hogs that try to get my garden, have parties without the neighbors (two) getting their panties in a wad.
    Hope you find what you are looking for.
    Good Luck with your search.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Consider the Finksburg area?
    As for schools they are actually better than hoco. Carroll has the best schools in the state and is also God's country.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Consider the Finksburg area?
    As for schools they are actually better than hoco. Carroll has the best schools in the state and is also God's country.

lol - That is why western HoCo schools make the top 10 list along with the MoCo schools in Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and Potomac. I'll have to check that list to see where Carroll County has schools listed.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/maryland

Shocker. Not one of the top 10 in Carroll County. One from Severna Park, three from western Howard County, and 6 from Montgomery County. Give me the names of some Carroll County schools and I'll look them up on Greatschools.org just for some more fun and discussion. My wife went though this back in 2007 when our first was born and she gave me the option of Cabin John, Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Potomac, or western Howard County as options for a new house location. The latter was the only thing I could stomach. I kept looking at Great Schools to see if there were other options. Not so much. So far, so good. Just too much development to the east of us and traffic is increasing too.

The college readiness scores of the Carroll high schools aren't too good:

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...istricts/carroll-county-public-schools-101882

Of course, this only matters to the OP if he has kids in public school or will have kids in public school. In another 20 years, Carroll might be close to Howard school wise. I know a woman that works for the Howard County Department of Education and her grade school age kids go to school in Carroll. She said it is frustrating to see how a school should be run in Howard and then having to deal with the Carroll school system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom