• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    A MUST read for Self Defense.

A Texas LEO friend shared this yesterday. I'm not LEO, but I completely understand where this guy is coming from.

Bottoms line: criminals and terrorists don't play by the rules. They don't care about "collateral damage." They just want to either get away (criminal) or cause destruction (terrorist).

http://handguncombatives.blogspot.com/2015/02/they-dont-think-like-you-do.html?m=1

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not sure why, but this seemed like the right place to drop the stages of competence. When it comes to self defense and shooting, I know which one I am.

Self asses, see where you stand and how can you can become conscious competent in self defense/gun situations.

Unconscious incompetent
    The individual does not understand or know how to do something and does not necessarily recognize the deficit.

Conscious incompetent
    Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, he or she does recognize the deficit.

Conscious competent
    The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires concentration.

Unconscious competent
    The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task. The individual may be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Not sure why, but this seemed like the right place to drop the stages of competence. When it comes to self defense and shooting, I know which one I am.

Self asses, see where you stand and how can you can become conscious competent in self defense/gun situations.

Unconscious incompetent
    The individual does not understand or know how to do something and does not necessarily recognize the deficit.

Conscious incompetent
    Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, he or she does recognize the deficit.

Conscious competent
    The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires concentration.

Unconscious competent
    The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task. The individual may be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.

Thank you. This is great.

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    For those of you that have trained with me in the Tueller drill I always have you moving off the X on the draw, but that is movement with a purpose of adding space during a contact attack (knife/club). I also preach that movement can be cheap cover for a moment but should be on the way to actual cover. Movement for movement sake does seem kinda silly, objectively. I do recall watching mortar rounds come down and recalling my training to run for cover and thinking okay, but how do I know that "cover" is not where the next round is going to land?

A lot to be said for good role players n FoF training. I'm going to have to redouble my efforts on making sure they have more realistic instructions.

All that being said, who's ready for some Force on Force training? March 8 and March 14. 1500-1900. $87 (unless you bring a group-6 students=1free registration) Register HERE Let's test the random movement/purposeful movement hypothesis!

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    Great article.

The more you know, the more you know.

Lots of charlatans in the training business.

I like to think that I am teachable enough not to be labeled a charlatan. Knucklehead, without a doubt, but I do have my integrity. I am interested in getting to understand a little more about the action/experiences with effective role-players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom