• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Well, then, I'll just keep BOOB-ing along, then, for now! To keep it interesting, I've already worked through half a dozen General tests and passed anywhere from barely to solidly, so I know what's next.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    While rolling in slow motion around the outer loop at lunchtime today, I tuned into the MARC repeater. It’s sort of like listening to a very polite version of The Water Cooler. Topics included sandwiches, TSA shoe protocol for amputees, lego car models, and of course that pesky feed line at the repeater that keeps introducing hiss.

I had no trouble resisting that PTT button at this time :)

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Ok does anyone here have a 12volt power supply to power an EFJohnson 5300 ascend series radio? I ordered one off Flebay and i have the software program, PC Config, also have the software to tune it and to read the radio ID and so forth. I already have the 5100 series ascend using a usb cable with chip to program it and i had to go to rockville to get a couple of adapter from microcenter. Geee for some reason every time I go their, my wallet is always lighter with less cash. Thanks in advanced for the help

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    While rolling in slow motion around the outer loop at lunchtime today, I tuned into the MARC repeater. It’s sort of like listening to a very polite version of The Water Cooler. Topics included sandwiches, TSA shoe protocol for amputees, lego car models, and of course that pesky feed line at the repeater that keeps introducing hiss.

I had no trouble resisting that PTT button at this time :)

I like that too.

Sometimes when I’m driving late say 9-11 I jump on Wires-X Room like Texus-Nexus or America-Link and you’ll even get a little soft political discussion. I think in general it’s sort of frowned upon.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Don't see it discussed here yet: HF Signals just releases a new version (V6) of the uBITX transceiver. It's an open-design all-band HF unit and I think it's a good QRP/starter rig, all for $150 ($200 with case). Screen is way to slow, but hopefully that will improve once KD8CEC gets his hands on it and rewrites the code!
    https://www.hfsignals.com/

Also the link to the band plan in the FAQ is 404. New version is here:
    www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Band Chart - 11X17 Color.pdf

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Don't see it discussed here yet: HF Signals just releases a new version (V6) of the uBITX transceiver. It's an open-design all-band HF unit and I think it's a good QRP/starter rig, all for $150 ($200 with case). Screen is way to slow, but hopefully that will improve once KD8CEC gets his hands on it and rewrites the code!
    https://www.hfsignals.com/

Also the link to the band plan in the FAQ is 404. New version is here:
    www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Band Chart - 11X17 Color.pdf

How does that compare to finding something used at a Hamfest?

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    How does that compare to finding something used at a Hamfest?
    That depends entirely on what that something is, whether or not it works, and if it meets the needs of the buyer. I think the uBITX compares favorably for me, considering its form, function, and open design. You're mileage may vary. :)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Made my first contact with Hawaii tonight. I also discovered a website called PSK reporter where you can see what other ham stations have picked up your digital signals. I was surprised to see stations in New Zealand and Antartica both picked up my signal on 40m at about -15db. That just seems too cool with a little 100 watt radio and a cheap wire dipole running along the ridge of my attic.

I still have not been able to have one HF voice contact. I could hear people talking from Alabama, Texas, Indiana and upstate NY, but I don’t think anyone could hear me.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Made my first contact with Hawaii tonight. I also discovered a website called PSK reporter where you can see what other ham stations have picked up your digital signals. I was surprised to see stations in New Zealand and Antartica both picked up my signal on 40m at about -15db. That just seems too cool with a little 100 watt radio and a cheap wire dipole running along the ridge of my attic.

I assume you're not using 100W on digital.

I still have not been able to have one HF voice contact. I could hear people talking from Alabama, Texas, Indiana and upstate NY, but I don’t think anyone could hear me.

You can get on websdr.org and pick a distant US station and listen for yourself (and see your signal in the waterfall) on it while xmitting voice (and any other mode of course just might help diag your voice issue if you have one). Make sure you pick one that's active on the frequency you intent to use at the time, not all are active on all the frequencies they cover 24X7.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    You can get on websdr.org and pick a distant US station and listen for yourself (and see your signal in the waterfall) on it while xmitting voice

What a cool thing. As an IT guy, I’m somewhat embarrassed at how unaware I’ve been of how the HAM world has leveraged the internet for things like this.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What a cool thing. As an IT guy, I’m somewhat embarrassed at how unaware I’ve been of how the HAM world has leveraged the internet for things like this.

I think that was long before "IoT" was a thing. As a matter of fact, IoT was a thing before it was called IoT. I forget where it was (CalTech?) they used the Internet to determine if the Coke machine in the basement of their building was empty back in the 80's.

If you look at digital modes, C4FM, DMR, P25, DStar you'll be even more impressed. Now they are starting to become more interoperative with "hotspots" like this:

You can use the Internet to connect to repeaters and others and even other digital modes with just a computer or phone, license and Echolink.

Also, check this out for Internet/Amatuer radio integration. Click on some of the icons of cars/trucks (or planes and boats too if there are any on their at the time):

https://aprs.fi/

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I assume you're not using 100W on digital.

I was at the time. It seems like it needs to be that high to reach europe or South America. I’ve tried lower power and I can sometimes reach Alabama and Maine on 25w but strangely not Ohio. I think is due to the orientation of my antenna. Is there some additional risk or damage to the rig while using 100W digitally?

You can get on websdr.org and pick a distant US station and listen for yourself (and see your signal in the waterfall) on it while xmitting voice (and any other mode of course just might help diag your voice issue if you have one).

Ok I wasn’t aware of this and I will most definitely check it out. Thanks.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I was at the time. It seems like it needs to be that high to reach europe or South America. I’ve tried lower power and I can sometimes reach Alabama and Maine on 25w but strangely not Ohio. I think is due to the orientation of my antenna. Is there some additional risk or damage to the rig while using 100W digitally?

Most transceivers aren't built to operate at full power when doing digital modes because the duty cycle much higher than voice. Most recommend not going above 50% when doing digital modes.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Most transceivers aren't built to operate at full power when doing digital modes because the duty cycle much higher than voice. Most recommend not going above 50% when doing digital modes.

Got it. I have only tried FT4 and FT8 so far, and those are 50% duty cycle max. Your previous response did give me an idea. I could transmit at low power, say 10W, and use PSK reporter to see where my signal is being received. Then work up from there.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Got it. I have only tried FT4 and FT8 so far, and those are 50% duty cycle max. Your previous response did give me an idea. I could transmit at low power, say 10W, and use PSK reporter to see where my signal is being received. Then work up from there.

It's not a universal thing. I've seen transceivers advertised to work at full power in digital modes. I can't remember the model or model though.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA

I do not notice much difference in the reports on PSK reporter between 40 watts and above 60.

I've read that you can actually get worse signal with higher power from some digital modes. They say the signal tends to "splatter" over the bandwidth it is trying to use. From my 3rd grade understanding: many of these digital modes use multiple tones over small bandwidth. Upping the power may cause one of the tones to interfere with another in the same transmission. I got the ARRL's book on digital HF, read it 3 times and that's the best explanation I could understand this as.

Side note: I think I may have a way to hook my HF rig back up semi-permanently at the QTH. It will be nice to get back on the HF air. I'll work on this next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom