Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Eastern Shore
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 22nd, 2019, 10:05 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doco Overboard View Post
We were out one morning for Sika and my oldest son wound up killing a hellish 8 point wt. Landowner said it was the first Wt he had seen in 25 or more years come off his land. A year or so later a spike or four point I cant remember, were taken back in the same hole. Up around Key Wallace you can spot a lot of wt coming across the road from right there near the corner over into the BW set aside.
Last year near Griffiths neck I humped it in way back to where the state starts at my buddies farm, hopped in a stand and had a few come out. All girls so I just let them go. You never know what your going to see. You get all excited thinking here we go and then it's just some does then you wait and don't see anything till your walking out. Sika, all stupid thinking your a big raccoon or something blundering through that mess then you almost have to shoo them out of the way. Ha ha it's fun hunting in and around there.
Wood ducks will get you going too, you hear the water movement, start looking around and then its some ducks or mergansers floating around. Even turkeys back in there from time to time.
Funny things out there is right. Saw a flock of about 10 gobblers walk single file past me, and instead of flying over or hopping over a 6-8 ft wide drainage canal/flooded logging road, each and every one of them walked down into the water up to mid-neck and walked across the ditch mostly submerged until they emerged up dry on the other side. Looked like 10 little Loch Ness Monsters crossing a river in single file. Wish I had my camera out for that. I had no idea a turkey would do that.
AlBeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 10:12 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBeight View Post
Funny things out there is right. Saw a flock of about 10 gobblers walk single file past me, and instead of flying over or hopping over a 6-8 ft wide drainage canal/flooded logging road, each and every one of them walked down into the water up to mid-neck and walked across the ditch mostly submerged until they emerged up dry on the other side. Looked like 10 little Loch Ness Monsters crossing a river in single file. Wish I had my camera out for that. I had no idea a turkey would do that.
Must be a Md. down below turkey thing. All the experienced turkey hunters elsewhere in the nation will advocate turkeys do not walk up hill, cross a ditch, go in the water, roost shortly after daylight, always fly down before 8 and all that non sense.
Doco Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 11:02 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBeight View Post
Weird story : MPT plays an old episode of Outdoors MD periodically with a segment about the Sika population in Blackwater, and specifically about the managed shotgun hunt there. I was in the episode, or at least my shoulder and one arm was, as they filmed the biologists at the check station taking the various biological info from 2 sikas two guys brought in. I was the first in that morning, with a 120-something(?) pound 6 point whitetail, shot in an area that should only be inhabited by sika and fish (so yeah, mainly sika but the random whitetail too). When I pulled in to the check station, MPT Outdoors MD camera guys jumped out of their SUV excitedly, grabbed their camera, and stopped me from getting my deer out of my truck bed until they could get setup and film it. As I dragged my buck out of the truck, the producer guy yelled “cut” and the camera guy lowered his camera. It was then I found out the show was about sika, not whitetail - Bummer. I checked my deer in then the two other guys showed up with the sika shortly thereafter, and I got to watch them film the episode, which still plays from time to time on MPT.

But yeah, don’t rule out a whitetail too. Make sure if you hunt elsewhere prior to the Blackwater hunt(s) that you leave an eligible whitetail tag (buck, doe, or either). You never know what might step out, splish-splashing by you.
Just went to there website to see if I could stream episode. Unable to find, there was an episode from 2009 but it was about waterfowl.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 07:06 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doco Overboard View Post
Bears are the next thing your going to start hearing about. Laugh now, but you can say you heard it here first. Might be a little while but somebody will be going on about it maybe in a year or two if they haven't already discussed it elsewhere.
Had that one in Rock Hall about what 8 years ago. State said smokey swam over, OK. Just like the yotes down Snow Hill in the State Forest.
303_enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 04:33 PM #15

Thanks for the info guy's. I just got a place in Woolford, and was going to ask about some ghost deer tactic's.
OLSKOL59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Eastern Shore