• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    We were having a really good discussion in another thread about who's around in the DC / NoVA area (extending to near-ish parts of WV) that provides training beyond basic CCW or "super basic intro to handgun/rifle"-style courses. I am not going to include outfits that are too far south; there's good ones, but this is "MD" shooters, after all.

Green Ops: Has about a once-per-month cadence of one short clinic at the NRA HQ range and a more substantial 1-2 day class at other ranges. Classes tend to be more .mil-focused in orientation, so quite a bit of carbine and pistol; Mike Green has substantial experience with overseas PSD, so he runs some pretty advanced concealed carry stuff from time to time. Also has some really rocking low-light courses.

Justified Defensive Concepts: These guys are a new break-off from Green Ops, and have more of a LEO-focus to what they do. They've got a bunch of the usual carbine and pistol classes, but also have some precision rifle, LPVO, and shotgun stuff. Their lead instructors (Brett and Jay) are both superb.

FPF Training: John Murphy, who runs this company, has some really solid advanced pistol and shotgun courses, plus a well-regarded OC spray course. They also bring in a LOT of top-tier visiting instructors, like Karl Rehn, Greg Ellifritz, Cecil Burch, Dr William Aprill, Citizens Defense Research, etc. Their calendar is one that I check frequently!

Modern Samurai Project: Technically local, but Scott Jedlinski travels a lot. You can get private training with him pretty easily if you book in advance. MSP is pretty much the premier red dot pistol outfit (along with Sage Dynamics), and if you want to run an RDS pistol at high speed, Scott is your guy.

Peacemaker National Training Center: PNTC has a large variety of classes, and is the place to go around here to learn how to shoot extreme long range past 800yds. They also have some neat "learn to shoot 2/3 gun" courses, with a smattering of other advanced carbine and pistol courses.

Tactical Operations Consulting: Matt Watson offers a variety of LEO-oriented "tactical" courses at the Jefferson County Sheriff's Range, most of them assuming a relatively good skill level with your pistol and carbine. I have a class lined up with them soon, and will report back on what I think.

Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy (CCJA): Broad variety of courses, including some advanced firearms courses. Has quite a bit going on during the weekdays. Their calendar is a bit hard to read to determine what's open enrollment, so would recommend calling them for details, and/or following them on their Facebook page.

That's everyone I can think of. Did I miss anybody?

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Storm Mountain Training Center should be on that list. Incredible facilities, top shelf instructors.
    I agree that they're great and have some unique offerings, but they're substantially outside of the two hour drive line that I defined as being "in the area".

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I think Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy in Fredericksburg still does open enrollment classes.

And Kelly McCann's Kembativz school is also in Fredericksburg. He might represent the most "advanced" of everyone listed, though leaning these days more on the combatives side of things than strictly firearms.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy in Fredericksburg still does open enrollment classes.
    This is a legit oversight by me. Wish they had a calendar that made it clearer what's OE and what's not.

And Kelly McCann's Kembativz school is also in Fredericksburg. He might represent the most "advanced" of everyone listed, though leaning these days more on the combatives side of things than strictly firearms.
    These guys kinda fall into the combatives bucket, in my opinion.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Thank you very much for posting this! I’m starting to look for training and the current life schedule doesn’t permit for long distance travel or multi day classes; so this is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tom Perroni

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Anything on the CCJA calendar on our website is open enrollment unless posted closed course.
    Any questions please call (540) 322-3000. We haven't been doing a lot of civilian courses but are more than happy to run them.
    Handgun/shotgun.rifle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom