• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Picked this up from a longtime collector friend who's getting up in age and wanted to start liquidating some things from his collection.

I don't know much about FN M1910/22's but I've always wanted one. This one seems to be in very good shape but has some holster wear at the muzzle. Other than that the bluing is almost perfect. All numbers match and it came in the holster it was supposedly brought back in with its original spare magazine. It's WaA 140 marked. Not sure on the production year, hopefully Mawkie or SomdMustangs or one of you other knowledgeable fellas can help me out.

My friend said he's had it since the 1950's. He got it from his neighbor who had brought it back from the war. The holster is Nazi marked. Don't know much about it though. Seems to be in excellent shape. I paid $500 for it which seemed fair to me.

He has another one that I would have liked to grab too. It's in good shape but has black FN grips on it as opposed to the checkered wood like this one does. Machining looks a bit rougher but the finish is nice. It's sitting in a Luftwaffe Drop-Holster with the vet who brought it back's name in it. I wanted to buy it but he wanted to keep the holster. I didn't want to separate the rig so I told him that I have first dibs on it when he wants to sell it.

Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• lJ96b6j.jpg
      lJ96b6j.jpg
      140.8 KB · Views: 424
    • w1XS3HG.jpg
      w1XS3HG.jpg
      147.3 KB · Views: 407
    • wbuw4ji.jpg
      wbuw4ji.jpg
      99 KB · Views: 394
    • U9CJLhA.jpg
      U9CJLhA.jpg
      150.7 KB · Views: 382
    • VCKnKdF.jpg
      VCKnKdF.jpg
      152.3 KB · Views: 375
    • tiqG7Im.jpg
      tiqG7Im.jpg
      136.5 KB · Views: 371

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Nice rig Dan! Believe I am seeing an “a” suffix at the end of your serial number, which per Vanderlinden’s ‘FN Browning Pistols’ book would have been mid 1943 production (“a” suffix began May ‘43)

That holster typically is associated with French made (under German occupation) Unique 17 and Kriegsmodell pistols, and I think I’ve also seen references to use with the French MAB D as well (not positive on that one). Looks like it’s in real nice shape! Don’t recall ever seeing a reference to that one originally being issued with a 1922 so they may have been matched later on, but I’m far from an expert so take that for what it’s worth (not much!).

Word of caution on the FN, definitely don’t dry fire it! They are known for breaking firing pin tips easily. Unfortunately I know from experience...first one I bought I dry fired it exactly once, and that was enough to break the pin and send a piece shooting across the room. Costly lesson and took a while to find an original replacement.

Jul 1, 2012
    Good call on the holster, I couldn't place it but knew it wasn't a typical FN1922 :)
    Nice looking pistol, a little wear on the nose cap is almost a certainty with these for some reason, maybe holster design?
    Definitely a worthy addition.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Glad to see you're still on the hunt, figured your new job might have kept you on the sidelines. Good catch, a real bargain for a VG rig! Don't think I've seen but 1 in a 100 M1922s without muzzle cap wear, it's that common. With so many German capture M1922s about it pays to hold out for an excellent to VG example.
    You were right to ask your friend to keep you in mind for when he decides to let his other M1922 go. Luftwaffe drop holster with ink marked flaps are what collectors pine for. Best to keep the pistol and holster mated at all cost.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks for the info guys. I’ll make sure I never dry fire it. I might try to take it out and put a couple mags through it sometime though. Seems like it’d be a fun little pistol to shoot.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    [Nice looking FN1922, I have one as well, mine was manufactured in 1944 I think. It is serial number 422xxC, and is has all matching serial numbers. It has the usual Wa140 and Eagle markings. It has the unusual "(H)" mark on the left front side of the slide. From what I can find out this was either a military marked gun diverted to the civilian market or was a pre war capture gun, but I doubt that, as it has the c suffix. The right side is in the same condition as the left side. I bought it from a WW2 Vet, Guy Whidden, 502nd Airborne, who told me that he had captured it from a German officer in Normandy. Unfortunately he didn't have the capture papers any more.[

[/ATTACH]ATTACH]264686[/ATTACH] IMG_20190725_073029.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190725_073030.jpg
      IMG_20190725_073030.jpg
      33.7 KB · Views: 214
    Last edited:
    Jul 1, 2012
    Now you have me intrigued, Vanderlinden doesn't mention the (H) - or at least I couldn't find it - and I don't see it on any of the 1922's in his book.
    Looking at my pic library I have the (H) on several commercial-marked occupation 1922's but not all, and on at least one WaA140.
    Have to dig them out and look closer.
    Note that Dan's pistol has the (H) too, as well as the final WaA140 so it was accepted by and shipped to the military.

I suspect it's just an inspection stamp similar to the "MI" and "MR" signifying the part either needed rework or was ready for assembly.

All of the 1922's intended for commercial market have a triangle stamp on the back of the frame (see two pics below).
    Once a pistol was finally accepted by the military that's where it would have gone.
    I do have one that has the first WaA140 proof on the frame and slide + E/N commercial firing proof that is commercial pistol -
    they raided the parts from the military bin. But it doesn't have the final WaA140.

Attachments

• lJ96b6j-a.jpg
      lJ96b6j-a.jpg
      149.2 KB · Views: 256
    • 203b-4.JPG
      203b-4.JPG
      83 KB · Views: 213
    • 16b-4.jpg
      16b-4.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 214

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    [Nice looking FN1922, I have one as well, mine was manufactured in 1944 I think. It is serial number 422xxC, and is has all matching serial numbers. It has the usual Wa140 and Eagle markings. It has the unusual "(H)" mark on the left front side of the slide. From what I can find out this was either a military marked gun diverted to the civilian market or was a pre war capture gun, but I doubt that, as it has the c suffix. The right side is in the same condition as the left side. I bought it from a WW2 Vet, Guy Whidden, 502nd Airborne, who told me that he had captured it from a German officer in Normandy. Unfortunately he didn't have the capture papers any more.[

[/ATTACH]ATTACH]264686[/ATTACH] View attachment 264687

I am pulling from memory, I think the "H" represents "Heer" (Army in German). My very late Occupation production Wa140 FN 1910/22 has is as well. Mine looks almost like a Khyber Pass copy, not a finely-crafted FN product. Good shooter though. I do prefer the sights of the 1910/22 over my FN 1910, as the 1910 sights are the tiniest I have ever seen on a firearm. I don't know how Princip did it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom