• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NEAL4470

Jan 28, 2008
    Pasadena, MD
    Gentalmen, Do most dealers pay book value to customers for used guns in good condition? Or is it best to take the gun you want to sell to a few dealers and compare what your offered?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Gentalmen, Do most dealers pay book value to customers for used guns in good condition? Or is it best to take the gun you want to sell to a few dealers and compare what your offered?

Not even close. You'll make far more on a direct sale. Shop it around but don't be surprised if someone offers you less the second time you come in than the first time.

A reputable shop (Gun Connection comes to mind) will consign the gun for you and you'll get a fair price when they sell it.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I just sold five rifles here and it all went well.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    Trade in value of used firearms is usually determined by several things.
    1.) Make & Model
    2.) Condition
    3.) Current Dealer Cost (if still offered new)
    4.) Blue Book Value
    5.) Etc...

NOVA A

Mar 12, 2010
    Herndon, VA
    Gunconnection has it right:
    I consider the following:
    1) Blue Book
    2) Condition
    3) Likely Market

I'll also be honest. You aren't going to like the offers that are made by any dealer who wants to stay in business.
    Best bet for a maximum gain are:
    1) Private Sale (easy to do here in VA)
    Pros: Usually cash, will net highest profit, low cost. Cons: You don't know this person from Adam usually and there's a possibility of it coming back to haunt you unless you have paperwork to offset any 3AM phone calls from the ATF.

2) Gunbroker.com (which we offer as a service)
    Pros: When shipping, it has to go to an FFL. Then it's the FFL's problem for having that person pass the background check. Money usually comes in certified form like money order or Cashier's Check. Cons: No guarantee it will sell, time consuming process of taking pictures, writing description, and answering wierd questions (no, I will NOT take a Tek 9 as part of a trade:rolleyes:).

3) Consignment (which we offer at a flat rate of $55 a gun).
    Pros: We will work to sell your gun for you. Person buying has to undergo a background check. We will shield you from silly lowball offers, we cut you a check and call you when your gun sells. We don't do this with a percentage.
    Cons: might take time to sell.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Sell outright, dealers are out to make a living just like everyone else. QUICK cash.....dealer or post on board at a lowball price.

I've done well on WBOC.com here on the Shore.

banessi

Aug 6, 2016
    1 post down, 49 to go. LOL. Just found this forum while researching how to sell in MD. They sure don’t make it easy. Thanks for providing this venue (eventually).

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    1 post down, 49 to go. LOL. Just found this forum while researching how to sell in MD. They sure don’t make it easy. Thanks for providing this venue (eventually).
    Dear ban easy.

Welcome.

You might want to introduce yourself in the introductions part of the forum.

You shall henceforth be known as "hammer invite". Your choice of names is hopefully not indicative of your future.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Dear ban easy.

Welcome.

You might want to introduce yourself in the introductions part of the forum.

You shall henceforth be known as "hammer invite". Your choice of names is hopefully not indicative of your future.
    :thumbsup::lol2:

Rugbier

Jul 19, 2010
    MD
    In some of my car forums the restriction of " minimum post count " doesn't take in consideration the BS post such as:

Great Car ( gun )
    Wish I had the money
    GLWS
    Awesome
    My cousin has one

and the likes

They require something of substance, contribution to the forum, however witty posts like post 11, are indeed considered towards the minimum.

just saying.......maybe something to consider / implement

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    In some of my car forums the restriction of " minimum post count " doesn't take in consideration the BS post such as:

Great Car ( gun )
    Wish I had the money
    GLWS
    Awesome
    My cousin has one

and the likes

They require something of substance, contribution to the forum, however witty posts like post 11, are indeed considered towards the minimum.

just saying.......maybe something to consider / implement

We try to watch those. If someone posts several of those, we will nuke them and warn the poster. A second offense is usually straight to a ban.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom