• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg9781

Sep 25, 2020
    Are there any laws preventing me from building a target in my back yard to shoot a compound bow? I only have 1/4 acre but my fence backs to woods. I guess my fence would be at risk , but otherwise?

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Are there any laws preventing me from building a target in my back yard to shoot a compound bow? I only have 1/4 acre but my fence backs to woods. I guess my fence would be at risk , but otherwise?

Where are you? Have you checked local or county ordinances? City limits?

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    If you have a HOA check with them too

Or tell your HOA to shove it up their rear if there is no actual government ordinance against it

The only thing an HOA could whine about is a structure for the target

Unless their contract with the HOA specifically bars any kind of archery (I highly doubt it does) and HOA can blow it out it's backside

If you check with them first the Karens who run those things will just say no because they tend to be control freaks. Read your homeowner's agreement yourself and find out. If the HOA comes to you later tell them to point to where it is specifically barred

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Many HOAs are often powerless. And with the ones I've dealt with (and been on the board) was easier to get forgiveness than permission.
    I had one building approval that was needing to be signed off on and laughed when they said "we were not sure if we were going to grant it". Needle neck that wanted authority cause he did not have it in life. I voted him off the next election and only took a few words to friends to make that happen.
    They can pretty much levy fines but only enforceable by putting a lien on the property that needs to be paid off to sell your house.
    Often, if the owner is a Pain in the Arse, they will remove the lien just to get rid of you.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    My idiot neighbor was doing just that last summer. He hit my shed 3 times. Good thing that I wasn’t out there when he was playing Robin Hood. I should have called the police.
    It’s ok to flame away, I won’t be checking this thread again.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    My idiot neighbor was doing just that last summer. He hit my shed 3 times. Good thing that I wasn’t out there when he was playing Robin Hood. I should have called the police.
    It’s ok to flame away, I won’t be checking this thread again.

There is a difference between safely shooting responsibly while not bothering anyone and some idiot using your shed as a backstop

These are very different scenarios

The guy who leaves any chance of his arrow hitting someone else's shed is an ******* and deserve a ripe whoppin'

The guy who is safely shooting into the woods (like the OP) shouldn't have to give a crap what some busy body neighbor thinks

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    When I lived in Eldersburg, I only had 1/6 acre which made archery challenging. I used black pipe and made a frame to hold a 5x6 The Shield archery backstop. In front of that, I used a couple bales of straw to keep my yellow jacket bag target off the ground. Set in the back corner of my yard, with neighbors fences behind me and to the right have me a shooting lane along the side of the house. I could get up to 36ish yards, if I wanted to shoot 40yards, I had to stand in the street on the white line. Only did that during low traffic times and typically parked my truck on the road to block the view of the Karen's driving by. Usually when couples or families were walking the neighborhood (sidewalk across the street) and saw me for the first time, I'd chat with them, once they understood the set up with the backstop, all good. Figured it was easier to chat and explain then deal with the HOA naziasshatskarenswhocango phuckthemselvesbecausetheyhavenothingbettertodo.

Only pic I have is an old pic that I hadn't replaced the straw bales.

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_182137019.jpg
      IMG_20200428_182137019.jpg
      156 KB · Views: 520

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In MoCo you were required to have an 8'x8' plywood(or something similar) packstop. I have my fence(6' cedar) plus my neighbor's shed(sorry imanoldcowhand). I never shoot if anyone is in their back yard, even though no one will be in direct line of fire.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    In MoCo you were required to have an 8'x8' plywood(or something similar) packstop. I have my fence(6' cedar) plus my neighbor's shed(sorry imanoldcowhand). I never shoot if anyone is in their back yard, even though no one will be in direct line of fire.

:lol:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    There is a difference between safely shooting responsibly while not bothering anyone and some idiot using your shed as a backstop

These are very different scenarios

The guy who leaves any chance of his arrow hitting someone else's shed is an ******* and deserve a ripe whoppin'

The guy who is safely shooting into the woods (like the OP) shouldn't have to give a crap what some busy body neighbor thinks

Although I agree with what you say, it isn't always that simple. Whose woods is it? Does anyone walk their dogs there? Kids play there? When I was a kid my cousins and I used to play in a wooded area. We always started on my uncle's property, but being kids we weren't particularly knowledgeable or careful about where the property lines are. Unlike firearms, kids or even adults may stray into the area without knowing there is shooting going on.

OP may have already investigated this, but if not it would be a good idea. I would also do a quick walk through a little into the wooded area each time before starting. Then let them fly.

sub2000

Dec 19, 2016

Check your local jurisdiction. I know it is not legal in the City of Rockville to shoot a pellet gun in your backyard.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Last time I looked in AA, if the arrow does not leave your property with a missed shot, all is good. Been awhile since I looked. I could get 30 yds on my property in the burbs.

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    I looked into this in PG County and couldn't find anything prohibiting it. That said, I don't trust my neighbors and don't have a good shooting direction so I generally stick to shooting down my driveway into the garage when the coast is clear.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    Being the idiot that has lost many arrows in my own yard when I try a tension release, I say there is no harm of being respectful to your neighbor, telling them what your plan is, even invite them to see your setup and offer to let them use it too.

Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    Netting?

I remember attending a show at Marriottsville and the DNR had set up an archery range and backstop was netting. It was arranged so that would be hard to have an arrow escape even when you screw up with a recurve or long bow as I have and the arrow takes off at a 30 degree angle from your path of aim! It is not cheap but peace of mind seldom is. I think Lancaster Archery carries the stuff. That and don't shoot when people are out and about.

Just my two cents worth.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    We are on 50x144’

Daughter really enjoys practicing in the backyard (it beats the 45 minute drive to the range)

We use our 12x16’ out building as our ultimate backstop; morell forever and the block are our primary targets.

We live in town and the only thing neighbors do is cheer her on :party29:

She’s taken 1st place in MD FITA indoor championship for female compound cub 2 years running.

She shoots for MD JOAD indoor championship this Saturday on the 10am firing line.

Due to COVID, Vingt Neuf Bowman has been live casting shoots on you tube...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom