• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Can I suggest and old school, informal 75 Meter SSB net? Possibly 8:00 or 9:00 PM local, one evening per week. In the general portion of the band.

Call it the Gun Nuts Net.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I would like to try out my new HF Comm center.
    iu

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Yes, you download the JS8Call software and when you select the band it will try to tune your radio to the usual frequency on that band, if you have cat configured.

JS8Call also has the ability to create groups where it can store-and-forward messages. So we can have our own group and even send messages offline. I would like to do that for some kind of MDS or preppers group. The messages would have to be short and maybe we could come up with our own abbreviations. Just something where if another MDS'r needed something they could ask and get assistance from the group. Or maybe quick status messages: "ALL GOOD" or "LOW ON AMMO".

What do you all think?

Interesting, but I'd want to know how the messages are stored. At a centralized location? If so, that seems like a single point of failure that predicates the 'net's' success on some outside factor. MAybe OK if the 'server' of those messages is under control of a local group.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Can I suggest and old school, informal 75 Meter SSB net? Possibly 8:00 or 9:00 PM local, one evening per week. In the general portion of the band.

Call it the Gun Nuts Net.

I was thinking old school (though I do really like the idea of a digital message board - one of the primary reasons I've looked at AREDN). I would wnat to keep it focused on realtively local comms - like maryland. I don't want to try to operate or manage a net that hte whole contry is randonmly checking in on. Just low key - check in, veryify your comms are up, maybe pass some pertinent local info, etc...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes.

Have to connect the HF antenna. 2m/440 ready to go.

Yes. About 30 minutes max.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Interesting, but I'd want to know how the messages are stored. At a centralized location? If so, that seems like a single point of failure that predicates the 'net's' success on some outside factor. MAybe OK if the 'server' of those messages is under control of a local group.

No, that's not how it works:

read up on it: js8call.com

Here's a good video:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Yes, you download the JS8Call software and when you select the band it will try to tune your radio to the usual frequency on that band, if you have cat configured.

JS8Call also has the ability to create groups where it can store-and-forward messages. So we can have our own group and even send messages offline. I would like to do that for some kind of MDS or preppers group. The messages would have to be short and maybe we could come up with our own abbreviations. Just something where if another MDS'r needed something they could ask and get assistance from the group. Or maybe quick status messages: "ALL GOOD" or "LOW ON AMMO".

What do you all think?

I’m going to DL this maybe tonight and start playing around. I would really like the ability to have some sort of non-internet dependent way of communicating emergency status messages.

Jim if I get up and running I’ll try to coordinate a time to see if we can communicate.

Thanks

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You may be right about the name. But firearms and prepping discussion is commonplace on 75M. Ive spent countless hours talking on the HF bands.

Great.

People here were suggesting a welfare/preparedness net which some locations have already implemented.

It's probably not the best time to be advertising that you own firearms on a media where you're not anonymous (not that the Internet is, but you're not compelled to be un-anonymous like radio) .

And if I have to be clearer, remember that during Katrina the local PD began going to homes to confiscate legally owned firearms. This, plus the fact that the MGA may have just passed some of the most egregious laws yet gives me pause.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    How many here have HF comms capability?
    (Count=8, 3/18/20)

Are you up and running (legally)?
    Could you be up and running in a week (legally)?

Legal: yes

I'm running as base FT1200DX & FT-897
    Still trying to get my antennas back up. Hopefully, the HF vertical goes up on Friday and a WINDOM in another month.
    Trying to get some digital back up. Still unpacking and hunting for things after my move.

FT-857 as a back-pack rig with a budipole for field ops.

FT-8900 in the truck.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Great.

People here were suggesting a welfare/preparedness net which some locations have already implemented.

It's probably not the best time to be advertising that you own firearms on a media where you're not anonymous (not that the Internet is, but you're not compelled to be un-anonymous like radio) .

And if I have to be clearer, remember that during Katrina the local PD began going to homes to confiscate legally owned firearms. This, plus the fact that the MGA may have just passed some of the most egregious laws yet gives me pause.

I don't think there is any need to 'broadcast' any individuals 'status of preparation'. MD.gov already knows all it needs to know about what I have, and you're above average bozo isn't going to have a clue as to how to gather any reasonably actionable intel from HF comms.

Running a net would merely provide an opportunity for like minded individuals to check in, confirm their ability to transmit and receive, and in times where something is actually happening, provide a strep. Its a backup for when internet connected comms go down, or for various reasons are less desirable.

Case in point - I'd like to know when the hell the Arundel Mills Costco has burger and chicken back on the shelf!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I don't think there is any need to 'broadcast' any individuals 'status of preparation'. MD.gov already knows all it needs to know about what I have, and you're above average bozo isn't going to have a clue as to how to gather any reasonably actionable intel from HF comms.

Running a net would merely provide an opportunity for like minded individuals to check in, confirm their ability to transmit and receive, and in times where something is actually happening, provide a strep. Its a backup for when internet connected comms go down, or for various reasons are less desirable.

Case in point - I'd like to know when the hell the Arundel Mills Costco has burger and chicken back on the shelf!

Read my post again. I'm not talking about preparation. The poster wanted to have a "gun nut" net. All I was saying is keep it to the original intent, welfare and preparations.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No HF yet. Will add some HF capabilty after I get my General late in the spring or early summer when testing resumes.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Read my post again. I'm not talking about preparation. The poster wanted to have a "gun nut" net. All I was saying is keep it to the original intent, welfare and preparations.

Understood and I concur. Re-read you post several but just didn't get the context right without you subsequent post.

All good, and again, I concur.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Updated count - now about 14. Frankly more than I expected.

How about 40 meters, Wednesday nights at 9PM?

I figure that's just after dark for summer, but before most of us hit the sack. Other reasoning:

40 meters has been relatively good given the current solar cycle.
    Most people can get out decently with a wire, vs a 'real' antenna (tower and beam, etc.).

We could call it the "Maryland Toilet Paper Net" in recognition of the current shortages ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom