• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I have a chest freezer I am getting rid of in the next week or so. I was going to put it on Craig’s list for. 100. Bucks

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sears in White Oak had several small chest and upright freezers.

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    I've been looking at both Frigidaire and Magic Chef brands of chest freezers. I know both brands have been around a long time so any preferences here for either one? Since we're only two people the size would be 5 to 8 cubic feet.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I've been looking at both Frigidaire and Magic Chef brands of chest freezers. I know both brands have been around a long time so any preferences here for either one? Since we're only two people the size would be 5 to 8 cubic feet.

Neither are the original companies anymore. Whirlpool is the largest appliance maker in the world (holding a ton of different brands) followed by Electrolux which is the parent company of Frigidaire. Magic Chef was owned by Whirlpool until very recently (past 10-15 years IIRC) when it was spun off to CNA/MC which is an importer of appliances. For Magic Chef, it's really just a licensing scheme, the same way Westinghouse, RCA, and several other former electronics giants that have since fallen on hard times. Magic Chef freezers are sourced either from Korea or China and despite its US roots and Swedish ownership, Frigidaire is the same.

My understanding is that most of the MC chest freezers are pretty good. They have a lot of the same features and parts as the more expensive ones but without all the bells and whistles. I do know from several recent reviews that they out-scored Frigidaire on the chest-freezer category. FWIW, I have a couple of friends who have them for their beer fridges in their dens, and they've been just fine as far as I know.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just got my 3rd freezer. Couldn't tell you the brand of any. 250 bucks each. I don't buy products expecting them not to work. They work until they don't. That's any brand.
    Freezers are out there.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I have a couple freezers. Yes, they work until they don't. I just bought a temperature sensor to put into each of them. A bud freezer died and he lost a hundred pounds of meat. The sensor I bought will alarm when the temp gets too high. They are cheap too. Might want to get one.
    V

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Think it was mentioned earlier, but worth repeating. If you have a couple, plug them into different outlets. You don't want 1 dead outlet to kill 2 freezers.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    You CAN buy a freezer that is too large.

An empty freezer in not efficient at all, a full freezer gets help from frozen food.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You CAN buy a freezer that is too large.

An empty freezer in not efficient at all, a full freezer gets help from frozen food.

I put a couple gallon jugs of water in my freezer for this reason as well as if the power goes out. Those jugs will help keep it cold longer.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I put a couple gallon jugs of water in my freezer for this reason as well as if the power goes out. Those jugs will help keep it cold longer.

Same here. There's currently 80 pounds of ice in gallon form. As the freezer fills with deer, the ice gets removed and shelved. Then put back in as space allows. In the event of a power outage, this turns the freezer into a good cooler, letting the meat last much longer.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Sams Club has the small 5 CF freezers in stock for a little over $150 I think.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I have a couple freezers. Yes, they work until they don't. I just bought a temperature sensor to put into each of them. A bud freezer died and he lost a hundred pounds of meat. The sensor I bought will alarm when the temp gets too high. They are cheap too. Might want to get one.
    V

Good idea. I will have to get of those.

My chest freezer is a Frigidaire that I purchased at least 8 or 9 years ago from HHGreg. We got a great deal on it. Floor model, last of that style and they were practically kicking it out of the door. I think its a little over 7 cubic feet and I paid about $175.00 for it. It sat in our garage unplugged for several years before we made room for it inside and starting using it.

You truly do not know how nice it is to have that freezer space until you use it for a while. I would feel like I had an inadequate amount of food if it were gone. It has been in use now for about 5 years. We also have a typical upright fridge freezer in the garage from the 70s. It runs through the cold winters and hot summers without any issues.

Combine that with our fridge freezer in the kitchen and we are stocked. It feels good to have several months worth of food on hand, especially over this past year when everyone was freaking out. I need to work on a back up generator to take care of a power outage situation. As stated in other posts, its only good if it works. Otherwise it is just a big food coffin.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    You truly do not know how nice it is to have that freezer space until you use it for a while. I would feel like I had an inadequate amount of food if it were gone. It has been in use now for about 5 years. We also have a typical upright fridge freezer in the garage from the 70s. It runs through the cold winters and hot summers without any issues.

Combine that with our fridge freezer in the kitchen and we are stocked. It feels good to have several months worth of food on hand, especially over this past year when everyone was freaking out. I need to work on a back up generator to take care of a power outage situation. As stated in other posts, its only good if it works. Otherwise it is just a big food coffin.

I agree with both of the points above, first the craziness of 2020 has really made me appreciate a full freezer, and solidified a commitment to keeping it that way into the foreseeable future, and second, that I absolutely need to work on getting my generator working before we have a long power outage. The last time I tried to start my generator, opened the fuel petcock on the fuel tank and gas came gushing out the carburetor. My assumption is that the float in the carb is stuck in the open position.

JoeR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom