Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 18th, 2018, 02:25 AM #21

I got mine about 3 weeks total after mailing it certified. I think I only had it for a month or so? Just keep an eye out for MD State Police mail, its literally just a letter with no unique numbers, just tells you you are one now.
CBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 05:44 AM #22
The M1 Does My Talking

The M1 Does My Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmike610 View Post
... was told they wonít approve you if you havenít bought a registered firearm or no hql

..l

If you never bought a handgun in Maryland, why would you need an exemption from "one per month?"

You don't need an exemption until your second or third purchase within 30 days.

Not really unreasonable they expect to see at least one handgun purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith101 View Post
... So in effect the state will force you to purchase a regulated firearm, that now includes the cost and training requirements of obtaining an HQL, and be entered into a database in order to receive Designated Collector status and be able to transport some or all of your collection for display because I am sure they would argue that one can not be a "Bona Fide Collectors of Firearms" and not have a aDesignated Collector recognition from the Maryland State Police.

Oh not this nonsense again.

The only purpose of the Designated Collector status is to exempt the holder from "one handgun per month." That's all it is.

It has nothing to do with handgun transport.

The idea that it serves any, any, ANY other legal purpose is nothing but internet bullshit. The State Police and the Attorney General have no such idea.

Quote:
...I am sure they would argue that one can not be a "Bona Fide Collectors of Firearms" and not have a aDesignated Collector recognition from the Maryland State Police
Rubbish.

I really don't feel like reposting this crap for the hundredth time.

What "Bona Fide" means is not known to the law. It is unsettled. That means you have to pay your lawyer to present your argument in court.

It will not be settled on the side of the road by showing the cop some stupid letter.

It will be settled at your trial, in court. You will be the test case. You will pay your lawyer to try to convince the court.

Certainly "Designated" and "Bona Fide" are two completely different terms, legally. Look very closely, and you will see there is a slight difference in spelling.

In spite of the dangerous nonsense that keeps getting repeated and reposted over and over and over by know nothings here on the internet, the only purpose of the Designated Collector status is to exempt the holder from "one handgun per month." That's all it is.

The only purpose of the Designated Collector status is to exempt the holder from "one handgun per month." That's all it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdFhG9anY8
Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 09:13 AM #23
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

I'll bet you a cup of coffee that when the meaning of "Bona Fide" is adjudicated it is brought up.
Blacksmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 08:41 AM #24

Mine just took a day, spoke to MSP and he said it would take about a week to receive the letter itself but in the system it showed me as a collector by the next day. The letter is just for your reference.
Old May 19th, 2018, 08:45 AM #25

Quote:
Why does one need a regulated firearm "in The System" to be a collector?

Perhaps you had a collection before there was a system.
Perhaps you moved into the state and brought your collection with you before FS2013.
Perhaps you collect unregulated long guns.

I know it is Maryland and nothing they do makes sense.
Because it only applies now to purchases of handguns.

And the 30 day wait law started in 1996.

And the requirement for handguns to be purchased with MSP check started back in the 60s.

And it only applies to future purchases. So why not have you buy one first?
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 08:47 AM #26

Quote:
Before FS2013 if you moved to Maryland there was no requirement to register your handguns so there is no telling how many collections were here.

There are probably more ways to collect firearms without including any that are Maryland "Regulated" a C&R collection for example. So in effect the state will force you to purchase a regulated firearm, that now includes the cost and training requirements of obtaining an HQL, and be entered into a database in order to receive Designated Collector status and be able to transport some or all of your collection for display because I am sure they would argue that one can not be a "Bona Fide Collectors of Firearms" and not have a Designated Collector recognition from the Maryland State Police.
Bona fide collector and Designate Collecter have NOTHING to do with each other. And Designated Collector has NOTHING to do with transporting your collection.

Designated collector ONLY has to do with being able to purchase without the 30 day wait. So if you collect via C&R license, it does nothing for you. If you already have a collection, it does nothing for you.
Old May 19th, 2018, 08:51 AM #27

And for those that do not know the history of the Designated Collector status.

When MD enacted the 30 day wait between regulated firearms purchases in 1996, the argument was made, what about a collector that comes across another collection for sale and needs to purchase more than one regulated firearm at a time.

So the added the provision to become a Designated Collector, so that you would be exempt from the 30 day wait. At the time, you had to jump through hoops to prove you were a collector.

Later, they relaxed the process, so anyone can get the designation.

And the ONLY thing is has to do with is the 30 day wait. NOTHING else.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues