• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I have watched his videos for quite some time. He posts some decent stuff here and there but nothing that is mind blowing. That said this video makes complete sense.

He was on Marcus Luttrell's podcast so I was intrigued by his story and went to his website. He clearly hates being on camera but realizes he needs to "market" himself and his company. His information is really good but sometimes difficult to get through the presentation of it.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I run a 36/300 zero. By far my favorite. Aim 2" high until 36yds and then it's a laser out to 300. If you don't plan on taking headshots, my opinion is that the 2" doesn't matter if aiming center mass.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For those who haven't clicked the link, the topic is 5.56 Carbines .

The general concept makes sense . A 50yd zero is a fairly common approach for this . To me would be my choice .

It's all a trade off of how much offset at mid ranges you are willing to accept in exchange of a few yards farther on the far end without having to think about holdovers .

Added - Typing simultaneously , Yoshi is happy with the extra midrange trajectory to gain 50-ish of ignoring holdovers . I place more emphasis on precision at presumably more common distances, and am willing to hold a cpl inches high at 300 for ( presumably less frequent and more deliberate shots ) .

But 36, or 50, or anything inbetween is definitely better than 25yd .

Double added - FWIW , I do like 37yds for .22lr rifles, but that's a totally different thing .

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    A lot of people suggest a 25 to 35 (or in this case 36) yard zero, and if you look at a ballistics chart and "point blank range", this makes sense.

However some points from my experience:

* your rifle is likely to shoot one hole or cloverleafs at 36 yards, even if it's off by 4" or more at 200 yards. Even if you are off .25" (about the diameter of the bullet) you could still be way off at 200yds.
    * "36 yards" is very load and sight-height specific . +/-200 fps will make a difference.Note how raising your sight height from 1.5" to 2.5" moves the near zero from 29 yards to 45 yards! (see below). factory loads for a carbine vary widely. How precisely do you know your sight height??

here are some PBR calculations (see here: http://www.shooterscalculator.com/point-blank-range.php?df=G1&bc=0.48&vi=2800&sh=2.5&ts=4)
    sight height: 1.5"
    fps: 2800

Near Zero: 29 yards
    Far Zero: 203 yards

sight height: 2.5"
    fps: 2800
    Minimum PBR: 0 yards
    Maximum PBR: 238 yards

Near Zero: 45 yards
    Far Zero: 218 yards
    Minimum PBR: 7 yards
    Maximum PBR: 252 yards
    Sight-in at 100yds: 1.69" hig

sight height: 1.5"
    Fps: 3000
    Near Zero: 31 yards
    Far Zero: 218 yards
    Minimum PBR: 0 yards
    Maximum PBR: 254 yards
    Sight-in at 100yds: 1.89" high

The bottom line, IMO, is that sight in at the longest distance you can.
    If you only have access to a 50 yard range, this this is clearly the best you can do. But my 0.02 is to sight in the farthest you can for point blank range. The closer-in zero will "fix itself" at 25,36, 33.5 or whatever # yards.

Invicta

Sep 16, 2018
    I was interested after the video and I can see the concept of using it, but I'll stick with 50/200 for now.

As for Shawn (and Vigilance Elite), dont let his presentation deter you. He has made comments that he is uncomfortable in front of the camera, but he puts out good content and it is definitely worth watching.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I was interested after the video and I can see the concept of using it, but I'll stick with 50/200 for now.

As for Shawn (and Vigilance Elite), dont let his presentation deter you. He has made comments that he is uncomfortable in front of the camera, but he puts out good content and it is definitely worth watching.
    He has gotten a lot better over the last year. I did see him do a funny sit down where he read a viewer comment about him saying, "um" all the time. He readily admitted he hates being on camera.

If you have a chance, listen to his interview on Team Never Quit podcast. It's one of many stories of guys who get out of the military. They are lost and become suicidal.

It's a great interview. One of my favorite podcasts.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I wish his YouTube channel had more “technical” stuff like this. While I enjoy the stories, I would prefer more tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    36yd zero is definitely my favorite for 5.56 guns with reflex sights. With scopes and certain rear irons, you're sometimes forced into using other zeroes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom