• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 4, 2017
    Hey all. I'm wanting to start adding handguns to my inventory but want to avoid as much of Maryland red tape as possible. It was told to me that if I have previously completed Maryland Certified hunter safety course that I might not be required to complete the HQL course. Can anyone verify or contradict this info? Thanks

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The only way you get out of the HQL: is if you have a military ID, retired military ID, or law enforcement ID.

If you owned a handgun prior to 10/2013, Possess a Hunter education certificate, or DD214 that shows marksmanship qualifications; then you do not need the training for the HQL. However, you must supply the documentation when applying for the HQL.

Otherwise, you will need the 4 hour training session.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Hey all. I'm wanting to start adding handguns to my inventory but want to avoid as much of Maryland red tape as possible. It was told to me that if I have previously completed Maryland Certified hunter safety course that I might not be required to complete the HQL course. Can anyone verify or contradict this info? Thanks

You are training exempt with the hunters safety exempt. You'll need to make an account here: https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/Login.aspx
    You'll enter your hunters safety exemption there.

Get livescan fingerprinted:
    http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml
    And pay the state $50 with a credit card and then the state has 30 days to get the card to you supposing your background investigation comes back clean.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP was sorta mixing terminologies , so for maximum clarity :

Exempt from HQL Totally - Active or Retired Mil and Active or Retired LE

Exempt from * Training * , but still require the card - What was discussed above

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thank you everyone for all the info. Looks like I just have to apply for the card. Appreciate it!

Don't forget your livescan digital finger prints. You need a fresh set and cannot reuse previous. Also something to note, you supposedly have to submit the application for the HQL within 72 hours of completing your fingerprints because they say the records get purged after that.

What I've told friends in the past is create your account at the MSP licensing division, start your Training Exempt HQL application and then go get the fingerprints done. The same day you get your fingerprints, log back into your application, enter the fingerprint registration number and complete the application. This way you will not forget about finishing the application.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Another exemption from training is legally owning a "regulated weapon" you just provide them the SN of a handgun you already own, if you have one. You also don't need the HQL to purchase a C&R handgun (Mostly anything that is 50 or more years old, or on an ATF list. There are some nice guns on the list.) if you want to go that route. You could buy a C&R handgun then turn right around and use that as the exemption for the HQL training. Plus you now have a nice pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom