• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    Topped off with a 3X9 40mm. First AR build for an old C&R guy.

Attachments

• IMG_0789.JPG
      IMG_0789.JPG
      88.8 KB · Views: 544

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I've got a couple poly lowers that I finished over a year ago and haven't put an upper to them yet. You make me want to get back to work on some uppers. Just got worried as to how they would hold up.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have to echo kenpo. I am also concerned about how long they would hold up.

I can only imagine this was the mentality back in the 60's when the "aluminum" rifles came about. Back in the 90's I had one of the State Arms AR50 uppers. You would think that if any round would punish the lower, this would be the one. I shot over 100 rounds and I did not have any issues with the aluminum lower I used. As a matter of fact, I still own that lower and it now has a 16" pencil barrel on it. Talk about going to the extremes. I own a few poly lowers and will eventually build one into a complete rifle. I'll have no issues with this lower and it will shoot as well as anything else I own.

I promise...

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a poly lower as well. Have a PSA Dissipator upper on it and have shot a few thousand rounds out of it. Haven't had any problems yet and it doesn't get any mercy. Only real issue is the rear takedown pin is getting a bit loose when pulled out. Probably from the polymer starting to wear from taking the upper off and putting it back on a bunch of times.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I can only imagine this was the mentality back in the 60's when the "aluminum" rifles came about. Back in the 90's I had one of the State Arms AR50 uppers. You would think that if any round would punish the lower, this would be the one. I shot over 100 rounds and I did not have any issues with the aluminum lower I used. As a matter of fact, I still own that lower and it now has a 16" pencil barrel on it. Talk about going to the extremes. I own a few poly lowers and will eventually build one into a complete rifle. I'll have no issues with this lower and it will shoot as well as anything else I own.

I promise...

Link up with me in 10 years and many thousands of rounds, then we'll talk turkey with poly lowers. :D

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    Link up with me in 10 years and many thousands of rounds, then we'll talk turkey with poly lowers. :D

Will you settle for 3 years and 10K rounds?

I run a polymer lower on my fun to shoot for shi*s and giggles 16" rifle and have had no issues with melting accuracy or separation of the DPMS upper from the lower.

So I think they have some promise like the polymer lowers on most modern pistols.

But that's another debate.:D

Also OP nice project. Looks like it'll run smooth. Please send a range report when you get a chance.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Will you settle for 3 years and 10K rounds?

I run a polymer lower on my fun to shoot for shi*s and giggles 16" rifle and have had no issues with melting accuracy or separation of the DPMS upper from the lower.

So I think they have some promise like the polymer lowers on most modern pistols.

But that's another debate.:D

Also OP nice project. Looks like it'll run smooth. Please send a range report when you get a chance.

I can settle for 10k rounds over 3 years. Have you had any cracking or other issues with it?

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    I can settle for 10k rounds over 3 years. Have you had any cracking or other issues with it?

No cracking or any performance issues I can think of. I even did a couple of mag burns just to see if it could hold up to the heat didn't have any issues.

The biggest gripe I had was that my adjustable stock didn't feel like it had a 1:1 match with the threads on the lower so I had to play with it to make it work.

The next step will be using it in competition. I think that will be the real stress test. Best part is if it breaks I'm only out $45.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    No cracking or any performance issues I can think of. I even did a couple of mag burns just to see if it could hold up to the heat didn't have any issues.

The biggest gripe I had was that my adjustable stock didn't feel like it had a 1:1 match with the threads on the lower so I had to play with it to make it work.

The next step will be using it in competition. I think that will be the real stress test. Best part is if it breaks I'm only out $45.

Were you slow firing it or have you done any mag dumps?

marcus6576

Mar 30, 2014
    Annapolis
    I have two James Madison Tactical poly lowers. One with an Oracle 5.56 upper and another with a custom 300 BLK upper. I've put 1000 rounds through the 5.56 and 300 rounds (super) through the 300 in less than a year. So far they are holding up nicely. I machined them both out on a drill press using an end mill. No issues at all. I have inspected both of them after each session and there are no visible stress cracks or discoloration of the polymer.

mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    I used the jig provided by vendor and drill press with pits and end mill. Just took my time. Cross slide vise is a must IMHO. made it so much easier to get sides nice and smooth. As for picture. It is totally legal to do and I am not worried. Lots of hype but no action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom